Transparent automotive wrap

Let’s think about electricity and gasoline for a second
Fuel pumps and level senders are electric and in fuel tanks. Millions of them out there just like that. The inside of a fuel tank under normal use is actually quite difficult to ignite. Liquid gas doesn't burn, and the vapor density in the empty space is too high under normal conditions to ignite too.

So here’s what I ended up with. The black is not transparent, but I didn’t do the underside of the tank so I can still put a light under it to shine in from the bottom. I wont be able to see through the tank from the outside, but when I take the cap off, the inside will be lit up which is useful if I want to check my fuel level in the dark especially. Anyway, this is car trim dye called forever black. It wasn’t sticking the best, so after a day of it sitting and still having areas that were not fully covered, I decided to try applying it and blow drying, and it worked very well. If anyone is looking for an easy, fast way to get a black paint job on plastic, apply forever black and blow dry it.

Attachments

• IMG_5974.jpeg
    IMG_5974.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 60
Itnlooks nice and even
The pic doesn’t show the places where it’s uneven but I think I can fix it and even if not it was a crappy old plastic tank that was faded, yellow and ugly so either way it still looks better than it did lol but who knew you can coat a plastic tank with car trim dye lol. I’m gonna try to touch up the areas where it’s uneven.

The pic doesn’t show the places where it’s uneven but I think I can fix it and even if not it was a crappy old plastic tank that was faded, yellow and ugly so either way it still looks better than it did lol but who knew you can coat a plastic tank with car trim dye lol. I’m gonna try to touch up the areas where it’s uneven.
I like it, no rust.

I’m not done with the seat, but the gas tank is mounted. This tank has two indentations at either end of it, for a metal bar to hook over. When I had another tank like this, I had hose clamped the bar to the bicycle frame and it worked ok, but not great. This time, I made two separate tabs out of some metal bar stock I had, and bent them a little so I could get u bolts between the metal tabs and the bottom of the tank. The metal u bolts attach the metal tabs to the bike frame. I threw the seat on just for aesthetic purposes of taking the pic, not done with the seat but this is what it will look like when I get the seat on.

Attachments

• IMG_5979.jpeg
    IMG_5979.jpeg
    204.7 KB · Views: 52
Back