Tire Grooving: Opinions

DieselTech

Local time
7:57 AM
Ok guys & gals. I put some Bridgestone Battlax 120/90-16 motorcycle tires on my ebike. They tip the scale in stock form at 11.2lbs each. About 6lbs heavier than a stock ebike tire.

I would like to put these tires on a diet, soo I bought a nice tire groover. I also would not mind achieving less rolling resistance.

Any of you want to chime in on a pattern to cut in these brand new tires. I just jotted this down on the tire to give you guys & gals my idea. Feel free to tell your thoughts.

Thanks.
20231020_165859.jpg
20231020_104031.jpg

Most of that tire weight is in the carcass of the tire. 4 ply sidewalls with reinforcing bands. Not likely more than a pound of weight to be saved before getting too radical.

I have a similar dual sport tire on my Hawk and they easily weigh 40% more than the off road knobbies that came off of it. The carcass is so heavy that they need 10 less psi of air to support the same load. 30 vs 40 on the rear. 28 vs 34 up front.

Most of that tire weight is in the carcass of the tire. 4 ply sidewalls with reinforcing bands. Not likely more than a pound of weight to be saved before getting too radical.

I have a similar dual sport tire on my Hawk and they easily weigh 40% more than the off road knobbies that came off of it. The carcass is so heavy that they need 10 less psi of air to support the same load. 30 vs 40 on the rear. 28 vs 34 up front.
Yeah I been talking with some folks & they thought I could get 2lbs out of it. But that is really cutting it up!🤣. Yeah I've been running 18psi in the rear & 16psi on the front. Lmao I think I can run these bald & then cut a street sport tread pattern in them. 🤣😂🤣

That's not the right approach. If you want to shave off some weight, jack up the rear whhel and start the engine. Get it spinnin' real fast then hold your grinder against the tread. Seriously......... the damage you do to the tire is not worth the trade off for weight reduction.

Back