Tires for Friction Drive

Thanks for the info. I've seen that tire before and it looks good for friction drive. The trouble is, I'm having a hard time finding it in 2.125 width, in whitewall. Thanks again.

That's a great looking tire Estaban. Thanks for the link. Maybe it's just me but it seems like even the frame mount setups wear the back tire more than the front. I've got 250 miles on my first F/D using Bell Kevlar belted tires and HEAVY duty tubes. No appreciable xtra wear yet. Many advantages to F/D in my op. So nice to use a quality product like the BMP unit. Simple, easy and fun. After getting tired of all the tinkering w/ HT's, it's a joy to hook up a 4 stroke and just enjoy.

I can’t say about tire brands, but I can say this. My Schwinn hybrid bike came with what I would call semi-aggressive tread. I put about 150 miles on it and had a flat. Not due to my BMP friction drive system. I had already found and bought some smooth tread tires on sale at a local bike shop. My original tire had a lot of life left on it, but I decided to put the new smooth tread on it. With the original aggressive treads, I was riding down the street to my mom’s and she said she thought an ambulance was coming down the road. Aggressive treads on a friction drive will produce a high pitch whine. My new smooth treads make virtually no noise. A BIG difference in noise level between smooth and aggressive treads. The link that Esteban posted looks like a very good tread for a friction drive. I also agree 100% with him on the fact that if you’re getting excessive tire wear, you’re either running very very cheap tires or not getting the roller pressure on the tire adjusted properly. I’ve had no issues with tire wear at all. Heck, if I can get 500 miles on a set of tires, that’s cheap fun for me. Smooth tread pattern or slicks are the best on dry concrete or asphalt, but not worth a flip on wet surfaces or surfaces with any kind of loose stuff like sand, gravel or dirt. That stuff is an accident waiting to happen. Hope my $.02 worth helps. Good luck, be safe and have fun !!!

Back