Trek 4500 / GP460 now twin belt jackshaft

well............ another of the cheap 14g spokes on my rear wheel snaped right at the nipple.

this isn't going to stop until they are all replaced with decent 12g pieces. i'm unwilling to put more money into saving these wheels in their present arrangement. the rims are VERY good and deserve better associated parts.

this jackshaft build has fulfilled all my requirements even lthough i haven't taken it on to left side belt drive. the combination of all 4 of my build configurations have shown that the advise of others and my own expectations have been correct and well founded.

IF one is to attempt to make a MB serve as a full time traffic pacing commuter vehicle, you will need to be dedicated enough to meet the need for really SUPERIOR ( read $$$$ ) components.

i feel this means from the ground up, a fully purposed build. wheels, hubs, brakes, frame, drive selection and an engine of truely light motorcycle quality.

given these conclusions and my present situation i have decided to retire this build and persue (at whatever pace i can) the collection of parts for the assembly of my vision of a MB based commuter.

though i'll still be on-forum on a daily basis i'll likely be much quieter since i'll only be commenting where or how i feel it could be helpful.

BTW, i do have my selections made for the componenets i want for the next stage, now it's a matter of rounding them up and not bothering to take shortcuts or compromises just to have something to ride. i still have motorcycles and while i enjoy the MB more than any of them they are "good enough".

steve

Thank you for documenting this build, Steve. I will always be sorting through your projects to garner priceless information to use for my next build.

:unsure:In replacing your broken part, would a set of 14g SS spokes work for your application?

thanks for the props 5-7,

yes, the 14g SS spokes might work, but the diff. in price over the 12g ones isn't worth bothering with.

besides at this point it would only keep me tethered to this configuration by making it usable. i need to focus eslewhere.

steve

friends,

it's been awhile since i was on forum, having anything to contribute.

i have gone totally off the reservation in pursuit of a under-regulated, personal commuting vehicle.

my new unit is a fully inclosed tadpole streamliner with a 70cc aprilia sr 50 ditech scooter engine and cvt trans for power, and doesn't qualify as a MB by the common standards ( pedals ) so i'll not go into the details.

i'm posting in this thread because my Trek 4500 / GP460 bike in it's present and last configuration is for sale.

there are lots of pics and info here in this thread and i will send pics, specs, details to anyone interested.

emails will likely be best, so we don't eat up lots of board bandwidth. you can contact me direct at yarddog6@hotmail.com

thanks,
steve

DT said:
my new unit is a fully inclosed tadpole streamliner with a 70cc aprilia sr 50 ditech scooter engine and cvt trans for power, and doesn't qualify as a MB by the common standards ( pedals ) so i'll not go into the details.

I'd really like to see this machine..... pedals or not.

Can you link us to some pics?

Welcome, old friend. Good to hear from you again.

Okay, you can always post all the details of your streamliner in "The Tavern". Methinks it's pertinent to motorized bicycles, sorta.

We can pick your brain regarding your new project and use what we learn from you on our MB's.:unsure:

Welcome, old friend. Good to hear from you again.

Okay, you can always post all the details of your streamliner in "The Tavern". Methinks it's pertinent to motorized bicycles, sorta.

We can pick your brain regarding your new project and use what we learn from you on our MB's.:unsure:

thanks for the warm welcome 5-7,

something i can offer right away is to suggest going into the 'parts catalog' on that site and taking a real close look at part " M6 sprocket adaptor " that item should be of real interest to MBer's.

if right drive isn't desired it could easily be converted to a left freewheel.

more later,

steve

Back