Trek 4500 / GP460 now twin belt jackshaft

I'm surprised no one chatters also.:sick:

This engine is cheap and EXTREMELY powerful. I'd compare it to a Chinese version of a Chevrolet LT-1 engine.:geek:

Maybe people get uncomfortable by anything pushed past the envelope. New inventive ideas are sometimes met by skepticism or it's just not their cup of tea.

Love your ideas though.

Lots of HT's and 4 strokes but just not that many 460 riders around.

yeah, all 4 of us !!

but the engine isn't really the focus of this thread, it's the rack and jackshaft.

this set-up could easily be duplicated using the popular 4 strokes in either the current configuration or in the final stage as a belt drive.

i'd think anyone that realized this or was concidering it would join the discussion and help move it forward.

maybe folks have noticed my continuing interest in the Morini 50cc and LWB recumbents and lowrider cruisers and just waiting for my next move. LOL

steve

What's unique is that each of us chose a different method of harnessing the GP460 engine!:geek:

What's unique is that each of us chose a different method of harnessing the GP460 engine!:geek:

yep, between us we have the GEBE, Staton gear drive, friction drive, a rack mount jackshaft (currently chain drive) and a frame mount / shifter all covered and proven.

steve

It takes a while for the world to catch up to cutting edge technology. Look how long it took for the airplane to catch on after Marconi invented it.

been having a few problems with my reworked Dominator pipe.

it really took a beating in a previous build and using steel plumbing pipe to redirect the head pipe added ALOT of weight that'a been rough on support brackets.

now the cut and rewelded chamber is starting to stress crack, so it's history.

i put the stock muffler back on, man is that thing LOUD. it also completely changes the carb screw adjustments. ended up having to go a full 1/8 turn out on each screw just to get it running.

going to have to do some more fine tuning now.

steve

Steve what size and brand rear tire is that?:geek:

Since I use friction drive I'm always looking for good tires.

5-7,

i'm running Bontrager Hanks, 26X2.2 front and back.

i love them. fantastic wear in my use and so much volume that they give a great ride.

on another note,

kawasaki999 had told me long ago that when he changed from the X-can (stock style) muffler to the Dominator pipe he gave up alot of low and low-midrange torque.

until recently i had NEVER run the stock muffler other than the first time i started the engine on the bench when i first got it.

on the very first trip with the stock muffler i had a BIG surprize. if you need GREAT bottomend and are happy with a cruising ceiling of 35mph, the stocker or the X-can is the way to go.

everything is a compromize though, what you gain at the bottom you definately give up from the top end. i'd have to say the trade is just about even. no more "PUSH" from 25-40mph and frankly at my gearing 40mph is ALL it will do, and that only with patience and road savy.

the stocker or X-can is very good from idle to 35mph, but if you want or need the next 10-15mph you'll need the Dominator for sure.

interestingly, optimal carb adjustments between the two systems is just 1/16 turn different.

steve

Last edited:
Back