Trike Report---Update

here's the close ups and the inch and a 1/2 welded on washer...

Attachments

• 100_1634.JPG
    100_1634.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 491
  • 100_1637.jpg
    100_1637.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 468
  • 100_1635.JPG
    100_1635.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 424
srdavo nice trike,I also own one and mine is a road king and was found in my friends back yard and was sitting there for about 35 years.So my friend and I restored it back to riding condition,also I've just recently replaced my front wheel from 24" to a 26" so the ride is different,the only problem Ihave with it is the rear part of the frame cracked and needs working on. sorry that I don't have no pic's to show,but eventually I'll get some posted.

Where's all yer trike pics?

What i'll do is post all the trike pics ,gotta be close to a hundred now,lol on my space and post a link.instead of taking up so much resourses here

~Haggard~

I'm still waiting on the trike pic you have. web site?

Last edited by a moderator:
Differential rear end for a trike? It isn't simple, but not terribly complicated either. Take a normal rear hub, and spoke flange mount two identical sprockets that have had the centers removed to allow clearance (you can do this with an internally geared hub, or very carefully with a derailleur set up). On the internal end of each rear half axle mount a freewheel (you'll need both a right side and a left side freewheel), then put identical sprockets on each. Chain loops connect the rear hub and the two half-axles. When power is transmitted through the hub to the half-axles, the freewheels engage and turn the wheels. When you coast, or are powering through a turn where your outside wheel needs to turn faster than the inside wheel, the freewheel allows that to occur - effectively acting as a differential.

It actually works pretty well, according to what I've read, and the local bike shop guy who says he has done this a few times on various trikes.

Last edited:
Hey SimpleSimon,

Simon,
Would you do a sketch-up of this design.... maybe an overhead view?
Please & Thanks,
Dave

Differential rear end for a trike? It isn't simple, but not terribly complicated either. Take a normal rear hub, and spoke flange mount two identical sprockets that have had the centers removed to allow clearance (you can do this with an internally geared hub, or very carefully with a derailleur set up). On the internal end of each rear half axle mount a freewheel (you'll need both a right side and a left side freewheel), then put identical sprockets on each. Chain loops connect the rear hub and the two half-axles. When power is transmitted through the hub to the half-axles, the freewheels engage and turn the wheels. When you coast, or are powering through a turn where your outside wheel needs to turn faster than the inside wheel, the freewheel allows that to occur - effectively acting as a differential.

It actually works pretty well, according to what I've read, and the local bike shop guy who says he has done this a few times on various trikes.

Sure, Dave.

It will take a day or two. I had implemented that system on my delta trike that got squashed this summer, and it worked quite well. As I installed it, it was mechanically kind of complex (5 separate chain loops involved), and a jackshaft to bring the power and the pedal power loops together just ahead of the Shimano three speed hub I used as my mid-drive unit. Overall, though, it worked pretty well.

I made the sprockets to attach to the spoke flanges of the Shimano hub with a Dremel tool and patience, then mounted them with with separate tabs riveted into the spoke holes in the flange - six per flange, two rivets each. The sprockets themselves bolted onto the tabs.

My camera is dead, has been a long while, so I have no pics. I can do a sketchup 3D model, and will.

Thank You Sir. No Hurry.
I just need a visual of the concept, so I can get my head wrapped around it.

Poor Man's Differential

As pictured, the blue transparent planes represent chain loops. I didn't bother to draw actual sprockets, as that level of detail is unnecessary to explain the concept.

On my trike I put a jackshaft near the rear of the bicycle frames rear triangle, in order to bring the pedal and the power sides together in the feed loop back to the Shimano hub I used as a mid-drive. I used two 24 tooth sprockets that I had removed the centers from to mount to the spoke flanges of that 3 speed hub, and two freewheel bearing mounted 24 tooth sprockets as the final driven sprockets - one on each half axle.

When riding straight ahead both half axles turned at the same rpm, and both were fully powered. When cornering, the inside wheel doesn't turn as fast as the outside one, and the freewheel allows the sprocket on the inside half axle to slip - effectively, all power is going to the outside wheel.

Thus, differential effect.

Attachments

• Trike differential ideas.jpg
    Trike differential ideas.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 372
Back