Trim for "kit" gas tanks

Discussion in 'Spare Parts, Tools & Product Developement' started by Max-M, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Max-M

Max-M Member

I saw the attached pic recently, and I thought that the trim shown on the lip around that standard "kit" tank would look great on my black kit tank.

I wanted to find a more interesting-looking tank than I have, but I spent a small fortune on it (custom vinyl lettering, five coats of clear, novolac epoxy liner), so I'm going to stick with it.

Trim like that would be a nice addition to make my bike's tank look a bit more substantial. It looks like the OEM stock "push-on" automotive interior trim material that I've seen.

Does anybody know what this trim is called, and where to buy it?

Attached Files:

2. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

Looks like a Whizzer tank without the Whizzer decal.
  3. curtisfox

curtisfox Member

Hay garden tractors have something like that to hold the cover on check it out.............Curt
  4. curtisfox

curtisfox Member

Took a second look have you tried to call the number thats on the tank?
  5. graucho

graucho Active Member

Don't call the number on the tank...
    That photo and tank is a deceased member's "Irish John" (John Foss.) "Fosscati Motored Bicycles"
    He died 10.30am Tuesday Jan 3rd 2012
    Owner of Fosscati Motored Bicycles (Giacomo Fosscati)

Just thought you should know. Here is a link to some of his bikes.

I've seen that type of trim a auto-parts stores. Also at Wallyworld in the "automotive section" there they sell specialty stick on stuff and specialty plates, but that was a few years ago.
  6. curtisfox

curtisfox Member

Sory to here that i didn't know that.............Curt
  7. 1983JZR3W

1983JZR3W Member

That looks like rubber "pinch moulding" with metal inside the rubber to hold the shape. Should be able to find at Lowe's or Home Depot or a rubber supply warehouse.
  8. Purple Haze

Purple Haze Active Member

They have a nice selection of trim in the JC Whitney catalog, including door edge trim in chrome and gold, which fits that lip around the center of the tank prefectly.