two stroke vs four stroke

2 strokes have more power, but a 4 stroke has near-endless torque for these kind of applications. a 4 stroke will carry a 300lb person just as fast as a 150lb person on the same motor.

yes, I am getting 200mpg
I pull the girls in their trailer (100lbs) approx 3/4 of the time too
this little engine has no problem power wise
I have done nothing to it but change the oil (750+ miles on her so far)

2 strokes have more power, but a 4 stroke has near-endless torque for these kind of applications. a 4 stroke will carry a 300lb person just as fast as a 150lb person on the same motor.

Here's the misconception - 4 strokes have more torque than 2 strokes.

Here's the reality - 4 strokes have more LOW END (or low rpm) torque than 2 strokes because they HAVE to. They must have a heavier flywheel to keep them running at low rpm as they have to go a full revolution without any "power" stroke, whereas a 2 stroke fires each time the piston comes up to top dead center, so they don't need a big heavy flywheel to keep things spinning. So the FLYWHEEL is what gives the 4 stroke it's torque advantage at low rpm's. It's also what prevents 4 strokes from revving as quickly as 2 strokes do. At the end of the day, the PEAK torque numbers from the 2 strokes and 4 strokes are comparable, while the 2 stroke's peak horsepower numbers are higher (horsepower is simply a configuration of torque x rpm's).

It only makes sense that a 2 stroke will almost always be more powerful than a 4 stroke of equal displacement....they are firing twice as many times! In motorcycle racing where 2 strokes and 4 strokes compete directly against each other, the 4 strokes get a displacement advantage to make up for this.

Warner

I think if I had to bet the FARM on this one I would put my money on the 150lb man in a race.There is no way the performance would be the same .Now ,if you put each person in a car with a v8 engine and race, then there is a chance for the 300lb man.The power from a 2 or 1.5 h.P. four stroke engine cant make up the differance in weight .

I think if I had to bet the FARM on this one I would put my money on the 150lb man in a race.There is no way the performance would be the same .Now ,if you put each person in a car with a v8 engine and race, then there is a chance for the 300lb man.The power from a 2 or 1.5 h.P. four stroke engine cant make up the differance in weight .

I agree- no engine type will defeat the laws of physics.

I prefer a 4 stroke for the sound quality and no need to mix gas and oil....it's a personal thing, but I hate the ringy-dingy chainsaw sound.

A 4 stroke of the same displacement is generally capable of more output at lower rpm (in the 3000/4500 rpm range) due to higher lowend torque,2 strokes are more 'peaky' esp. those with a tuned intake/exhaust and therefore can have of more power, compared with 4 strokes.Some small 2 strokes such as the GP 460 develop over 4 HP at 10k and with tuning even more.No 4 stroke comes close except possibly by turbo charging it.

I just swapped a Harbor Freight 50cc 2 stroke for a Honda GX35 4 stroke. The Harbor Freight will run circles around the Honda. No comparison. Bottom end torque and top speed are much better with the HF engine on the same rear friction drive kit. Honda might be more reliable, but you can purchase 3 HF engines, which by the way can be found on several web sites with different name brands on them, but probably off the same assembly line, for the price of one Honda. Guess it all depends on what you want !

2 strokes have more power and last longer becuse of less moving parts i would go with a 2 stroke over a four stroke anyday i just put a 2 stroke engine on my pocket rocket(use to be electric) goes 40mph

Back