VERY Fast Motorized Bikes!!

Here in the USA in order to build Motor Driven Cycles you must meet certain federal safety standards and be subject to inspections. That's why you have to have certifications to build these vehicles. For what most of us ride here in the states the legal speeds range from 20-35 mph. Think about what the results could be if that bicycle cracks then breaks apart at 60 mph. That's why a motor driven cycle uses a much thicker tube frame. A motorcycle uses an even stronger frame.

I'm fully aware of the importance of the drive system. I currently use a Robin Sabaru EHO 35 engine. It 33 cc and 1.6 hp. I plan to upgrade soon to a Honda GXH 50. My bike's drive system is a 5 speed automatic. I've been able to climb steeper hills other larger engines couldn't do because the engine only had a single gear drive system.

So to conclude without major reinforcements and modifications to a bicycle frame one shouldn't build a bike to go beyond 45 mph under engine power.

Since you don't have a location listing I can't look up the statutes of where you live. I only research USA state laws. 50 states enough to keep track of. I like knowing other states laws so if I'm ever in another state would I have legal issues riding my bike there.

I'm not concerned much about where I live, was just hoping that you could look up that statue where you live that says that if something is not defined as legal by some statue, then it is illegal.

Just seems to me that they would need an enormous number of laws to include all possibilities.

I'm not concerned much about where I live, was just hoping that you could look up that statue where you live that says that if something is not defined as legal by some statue, then it is illegal.

Just seems to me that they would need an enormous number of laws to include all possibilities.

Tennessee law 67-3-103

(49) Motor vehicle means a vehicle that is propelled by an internal combustion engine or motor and is designed to permit the vehicle's use on highways. Motor vehicle does not include:

(A) Farm machinery, including machinery designed for off-road use but capable of movement on roads at low speeds;

(B) A vehicle operated on rails; or

(C) Machinery designed principally for off-road use, unless such machinery is licensed to operate on Tennessee highways;

This is why you can't ride a dirt bike motorcycle, ATV, minibike, gocart or riding lawn mower etc on the public roadways. So if you don't build within what a state allows on its public roadways its considered a off road/ private property use vehicle. This should be a common sense thing here.

Here in CO we're lucky it's been ruled a bicycle is a bicycle even if it has a motor on it. You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig. That's why you cannot get nailed for no DL even if suspended here riding a MAB. Then there's CO law that states anything over 50cc is a M/C, it's a cluster flugg of regs only a lawyer can navigate..........every state is different.

Here in CO we're lucky it's been ruled a bicycle is a bicycle even if it has a motor on it. You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig. That's why you cannot get nailed for no DL even if suspended here riding a MAB. Then there's CO law that states anything over 50cc is a M/C, it's a cluster flugg of regs only a lawyer can navigate..........every state is different.

Which is why I said if you plan to sell builds outside of your state never put the phrase "Street Legal" in your ad.

that appears to be two lists, one of things specifically labeled as allowed motor vehicles and the other a list of things not allowed - doesn't seem to address things that are not on either list, seems anything that is not farm machinery, does not run on rails, or was not designed for off road use is OK

that appears to be two lists, one of things specifically labeled as allowed motor vehicles and the other a list of things not allowed - doesn't seem to address things that are not on either list, seems anything that is not farm machinery, does not run on rails, or was not designed for off road use is OK

Here is what Tennessee defines as a motorized bicycle. 55-8-101(35)

(35) Motorized bicycle means a vehicle with two (2) or three (3) wheels, an automatic transmission, and a motor with a cylinder capacity not exceeding fifty cubic centimeters (50cc) which produces no more than two (2) brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the vehicle at a maximum design speed of no more than thirty miles per hour (30 mph) on level ground. The operator of a motorized bicycle must be in possession of a valid operator's or chauffeur's license, and shall be subject to all applicable and practical rules of the road. A motorized bicycle may not be operated on a highway of the interstate and defense highway system, any similar limited access multilane divided highway, or upon sidewalks

So if your bike doesn't fall within these guidelines what are you going to tell a cop your bike is if you're pulled over. Here is what happened to my brother and X-brother-in-law in 2006 in Knox county Tennessee. My X-brother-in-law ran into my brother. Both were hurt really bad and had to be taken by ambulance to the hospital. They were both charged with operating an improper vehicle on the public roadways. The judge said the bikes were improper due to cc size and the fact they used a manual clutch. So you see you can't build outside what a state allows you to operate on the public roadways and say there's no laws which apply to my bike.

Granted if you don't ride like an idiot and obey all traffic laws cops in most states won't bother you. However if your bike isn't legal and you get involved in a multiple vehicle accident you may be in trouble if the other party gets a lawyer.

this thread is about an IDIOT.

please, we have all heard of your bike, LR.

please, we have all heard the legal side of things.

we have it stuffed down our throats in nearly every thread, about safety.

daily, its "my bike does this and this and its better than all the rest cus i made it"

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT MAKING FUN OF AN IDIOT.

please, lets get back on TOPIC, and hassle this guy.

ive gotten one reply, just shot off a response then.

i want this electronically controlled carb explained to me :)

in fact, i want to know exactly what he "re-engineers". sounds like sweet F all to me :)

some people have no...heart?

admin! calling all ADMIN!

please delete any replies contained within this thread that do not immediately pertain to the original topic. please? pwetty please? :)

the internets already overloaded with enough information, this threads for FUN!!!!!!

this thread is about an IDIOT.

please, we have all heard of your bike, LR.

please, we have all heard the legal side of things.

we have it stuffed down our throats in nearly every thread, about safety.

daily, its "my bike does this and this and its better than all the rest cus i made it"

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT MAKING FUN OF AN IDIOT.

please, lets get back on TOPIC, and hassle this guy.

ive gotten one reply, just shot off a response then.

i want this electronically controlled carb explained to me :)

in fact, i want to know exactly what he "re-engineers". sounds like sweet F all to me :)

some people have no...heart?

admin! calling all ADMIN!

please delete any replies contained within this thread that do not immediately pertain to the original topic. please? pwetty please? :)

the internets already overloaded with enough information, this threads for FUN!!!!!!

First of all you're the one who brought up the importance of a drive system. I only agreed with you. Living in an area where hills can be as much as a 30% grade. With a single geared bike if its low enough to climb these hills its not going to be very fast. If its geared to be fast then its not going to climb these hills. So here in hill country especially if you're a large man like me 250 lbs you're going to need a shift kit.

As for the legal subject I merely pointed out he didn't know what he was talking about when he said his bikes were street legal. Well I feel I was called out on this. So I backed up what I was saying with facts.

So why are you so upset because of a subject you brought up about drive systems got discussed? If I personally don't like what's being posted in a tread I just don't reply to it. I don't go crying to the administration to delete post. I know for a fact there's lots of great builders here so I'd also like what this guy great secret design is to getting such high speeds out of his bike.

What I think will be funny is when somebody he sold a bike to puts a speedometer on the bike and finds they aren't getting any where near 60 mph. Then sues him for false advertising. To me all this guy isn't an idiot he's a crook. He's building bikes with China girl engines then claiming he's done something special to them to get really high speeds. I personally wouldn't care if the bikes were being sold under $600. But for $1800 that's just terrible to do people that way. I just don't like cons artist.

Last edited:
First of all you're the one who brought up the importance of a drive system. I only agreed with you. Living in an area where hills can be as much as a 30% grade. With a single geared bike if its low enough to climb these hills its not going to be very fast. If its geared to be fast then its not going to climb these hills. So here in hill country especially if you're a large man like me 250 lbs you're going to need a shift kit.

As for the legal subject I merely pointed out he didn't know what he was talking about when he said his bikes were street legal. Well I feel I was called out on this. So I backed up what I was saying with facts.

So why are you so upset because of a subject you brought up about drive systems got discussed? If I personally don't like what's being posted in a tread I just don't reply to it. I don't go crying to the administration to delete post. I know for a fact there's lots of great builders here so I'd also like what this guy great secret design is to getting such high speeds out of his bike.

my apologies, only the 2nd line was directed at you, the rest was a generalisation to the community at large :)

but but but?

when did i bring up the topic of drive trains in this thread exactly?

i questioned exactly how someone justifies 1800 for a pushy with an engine.

never have i mentioned anything about drivetrains... in this thread...

up until now

:giggle: shill out dude :giggle:

Back