Villiers attachment on 1950s Phillips

Change of design criteria.

My bicycling needs have changed considerably. In the New Year I returned to my faith and an active prayer life, and also the way I dress has changed significantly in that I've adopted a modest dress code. In brief this means wearing a headscarf, long sleeves, shirts and blouses buttoned to the neck and floor sweeper long skirts.
Continuing to ride my bicycles and tricycle isn't a problem because they all share the traditional women's frame design which dates back to the end of the 19th century when women did wear floor sweeper as a matter of course. However I'm now going to have to re-think my motored bicycle project because even if I wear a divided skirt my former plan for motorising my old Phillips just isn't going to work.
I think I'm going to have to have a look at some of the early women's motor-bicycles dating from the early years of the 20th century for inspiration. Any ideas gentlemen?

i remember the t.v. show the flying nun, she also rode a bicycle! good to see you back in good health sianelle!

i remember the t.v. show the flying nun, she also rode a bicycle! good to see you back in good health sianelle!

:D Yes I remember that show, - I really liked it.

I've got my Phillips bicycle standing on a dropcloth in my bedroom at the moment to aid my thinking processes. I'm strongly considering a self contained motor wheel arrangement to tell the complete truth as I can see that it would be a good way to enable me to make any of my old roadster bicycles a motored bicycle without too much drama at all. With the age of some of my bikes I don't want to do anything to them in the way of hacking about their frames, so a bolt-on motorwheel would be a sensible way to go. Like the old adverts for motor wheels say, the unit is to the rear and well clear of clothing which is just what I want.

motorwheelsidejp7.jpg

motorwheelrearye7.jpg

do you have access to a motorwheel arrangement? thats so unique! id love to stroll through your collection of bicycle stuff! keep up the good work!

do you have access to a motorwheel arrangement? thats so unique! id love to stroll through your collection of bicycle stuff! keep up the good work!

Um.... well.. no I don't actually own a genuine motorwheel unfortunately. Such things are quite rare these days and cost $$$$$$$$. I spend time hunting around in Google Patent Search and I've found many fascinating vintage motorwheel designs. Some are pretty strange and not really practical, but others are very interesting indeed. I'm planning on building my own motorwheel using the contents of my garage workshop and a certain amount of creative thinking to get something up and running.

Ha Ha, - I can predict that my hoard wouldn't be too far different from wot everyone else has. Some trash, some treasure, lovely elderly classics and chainstore junkers :) I do have a big soft spot for older English bicycles though and I count myself lucky to own a Rudge as well as my much loved Hercules bicycles and my 1940s Raleigh ladies sports bicycle with genuine and oh so rare alloy Westwood Dunlop rims.

The way things go around?

Hi Sianelle, I didn't know that you've been unwell, I'm glad to hear you are doing better now. I've been off the board here for quite some time as my wife had a cancer surgery on the 22nd of feburary, and that's made alot of other things more important than being here.

I was amused to see the picture of the 1911 Excelsior that you posted to show that single-belt cam-over pully assembly on a veteran motorcycle. Sadly, that day, I was not paying enough attention, because the owner had to start that bike, to prove it would run, in order to show it in Concours.

I took that pic, in Dixon CA. this last summer at the AMCA swap meet and concours. I had waited till he had finally pulled the sheet off of it, as he had it covered almost all the time, and after I talked to him (not very co-operative, and couldn't even remember what it felt like to ride that bike!)., I shot that and 3 or 4 more views of it.

Wife and I continued to walk and look, and he slithered over, and fired it up for the Judges, so he could show! WE missed it!

I took other pics of great bikes also while we were there.

I have pics of one in a bar and grill in San Fransisco, called Eddie Rickenbacher's of about the same year, Light Grey, restored, and ohh is it a beauty!

Stay well, Mike

Annie (Sianelle), I'm glad to hear that you're health is improving, and I hope it continues to do so. Knowing your mechanical expertise, I have no doubt you'll find the components to make a motor wheel. By the way, how is the All-Electric Hercules running?

Back