Warning- GEBE rant

Roy ... I sincerely hope you will persist and keep a good thought. I'm overweight too and that was my main motivation in putting together a motorized bike. (On a partly facetious note, I think there are a sufficient number of us fat ranters, as Bama calls us, on MBc to merit our own subsidiary. Decal TBD.)

I began this project nearly a year ago to answer two questions:

1. Can you lose weight by riding a motored bicycle?
2. Can a motored bicycle partially or completely replace a car in a variety of environments?

Unfortunately, I haven't been involved with motorized bikes long enough to have collected too much meaningful data.

When I called them to address the spoke breakage issue, suddenly my weight was the issue! Well...even if it is the issue, strangely it wasn't an issue before I gave them my credit card number...
I've experienced that kind of behavior (from GEBE and others) and I find it very unpleasant. OTOH, being a small business owner can be brutal: salaries, taxes, insurance, supply problems, long hours... fat ranters... skinny ranters (they're worse, as they are not at all jolly) that's why I prefer to talk to wrenches, rather than shop owners. Wrenches like to talk bikes, shop owners only want to talk sales. Also, and I'm as guilty as anyone of this, but for some reason it's always easy to remember the times when people disappointed you and so hard to remember the times they really helped you out. I don't know why that is...

now I need a new drive belt with just over 500 miles on the kit.
In the six weeks I've been riding I think I've averaged about 2 mechanical problems per week. Today the %#!^#@$! terminator fell off the throttle cable (3rd time in 6 weeks). Tuesday the tension spring broke. Last week I broke a spoke, and that's no joke...

I've been riding a motorized bike just long enough to realize how complex a thing they are to evaluate:
  1. I'm not a wrench or motorhead like a lot of guys on MBc, so I have a bike and engine learning curve ahead of me. In learning I've made mistakes, and that costs money.
  2. I'm riding my bike nearly 100 miles a week now, and that kind of mileage by itself is going to increase maintainance time and repair costs.
  3. Putting any type of motor system on a bike is going to increase maintainance time and repair costs, regardless of the vendor.
  4. Last year I spent over $2,000.00 on a rebuilt transmission and new clutch for my car, and that was just one visit to the shop! If I spend $1,000.00 a year for motored bicycle consumables (belts, tires, engines, rims, spokes...) that seems like it would be a serious cost savings (I made several trips to the car shop last year). I believe DougC did an analysis of this and I vaguely remember he wasn't very impressed, but there are some weeks that go by now when I only use my car once! If that can be maintained over the long term, it would spread the cost of car maintainance and repair over a considerably longer time.
  5. The gyms around here sell memberships for about $300 a year, and I suspect that with the car savings, I'm getting 10 half-hour workouts a week for quite a bit less. (One of the best pieces of fitness advice I ever heard was: if you want to get in shape faster, exercise longer, not harder; and a motorized bike really does that quite well.)

But regardless of whether GEBE, or motorized bikes, play a part in your life, you have taken it upon yourself to improve your health and you should be commended and encouraged.

-Sam

Attachments

• nomenclature.jpg
    nomenclature.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 349
Yeah...I suppose it's kinda like:
1. Buy a GEBE
2. And now, the rest of the story.
I don't want to spread negativity, but when negativity is the only truth, it can't be helped. I'll tell ya one thing positive though....That little Robin/Subaru 35cc is one heck of a good little engine. So far that's about the only positive thing that has happened since I purchased my GEBE. I didn't mention what a blast that thing is to ride, (when it's operational), and I always come home with a smile. Something else that I must admit: I've never been stuck anywhere because of mechanical failure from the kit. Also, with the standard gear, I get 30.9 mph on flat ground...not bad for a 350 lb payload...lol. If ya keep breaking spokes, you may have to do what I did, and have some 9 or 10 guage spokes put in your wheel. I went with the 10 guage, because I figured I'd have to do a lot more reeming out of the spoke seats on the drive ring with the 9's. So far the 10's have held....again only time will tell. PS: Did you see The Big Labowski?..lol. That was a good one...hehehe

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest...

I love my GEBE ( Tanaka 33cc) and while ordering the rear wheel upgrade was recommended. I balked but finally gave due to persistence of discussing the pre-installed drive ring etc. Nothing was said about the gear cassette other than " just pop it off your wheel and onto the new wheel." I was disappointed to find out that my freewheel cassette ( popular on most dept store bikes today) was not compatible with my new wheel. It cost me an afternoon plus an additional $50 at the bike shop to install a new cassette.
IMO, they should offer the installed cassette......or at least discuss this in detail. Had I known this I would have simply purchased the bare drive ring and used my stock wheel. What a hassle!
I also think a follow-up call or 2 from the vendor would be nice. Discuss any issues with the bike and get one-on-one attention. And lastly I'd say some web site claims are a bit over stated. No may an MB can handle " trails" and " hills" ( not slopes) These terms are used very loosely. The word " moderate" should be inserted. Just trying to help. Love my GEBE thusfar.

Yeah...lol...I wish they would post my review on their site....But they wouldn't do that, would they?...lol Only the truth: nothing more, nothing less. I guess with no negative reviews, there has to be something wrong. THEY DON'T GET POSTED!! lol.

Honestly, I believe MB customer satisfaction boils down to rider weight and terrain. Gotta love it in Ohio, Florida, Michigan but maybe not so much in PA, W VA or Tennessee. I have to accept the MB for what it is.....not a moped or motorcycle......but rather a bicycle that allows you to take a break now and then. I'm a fan of small engines. I would rather ride an MB than a Harley.:oops: My next purchase ( this spring) with be either a Stanton system or a TOMOS moped.

Tomos mopeds are great. A buddy of mine has one, and we sometimes ride together. He gets me on acceleration, but I get him on the top end of it. Tomos are the most dependable mopeds out there from what I've seen. I never owned one myself, but have buddies that do. One of them even has a 60cc engine kit on his that will take that thing to 45 mph...lol. One thing about Tomos though....they are quite clear of what their weight limit is. However I am not so stupid that I realize that weight means a lot on wear and tear. I never had any problems with my Schwinn though....not until I mounted the GEBE on it...lol. I rode the heck outta that thing for about 2 years before I got my GEBE. Never broke a spoke...in fact I never even had to adjust them. That bike can carry some weight. Again...I realize now that I have to be the low gear on the GEBE, and do some serious peddling on take off up to 15mph. With that in mind, and a 300 dollar back wheel/spokes, I should be OK.

Well, it's only Tuesday, and this week's mechanical failure arrived with a vengeance. This evening, while I was 1/3 of the way home (2 major hills left) the GEBE lower mount strap broke. I've often thought the strap might break someday after all the mods I've made to it, but it broke in a completely unexpected place: at one of locations where it bolts to the engine.

When the strap broke the rear wheel locked immediately (there was an engine resting on it). I was *right* in the middle of the most dangerous intersection on my route but was able to get through and pull off to a grassy area and inspect the damage. My massive replacement for the crappy GEBE stabilizer bracket was intact, but the torque of the engine twisting free of the lower mount strap sheared off the head of the M4 SS bolt that holds the stabilizer bracket to the bike. When I get everything back together, I'll use either a G8 or G12 bolt there.

It was about 7:30 pm and pitch dark, nor was there a street light handy. Although this was the biggest disaster I've had so far, it was a good test of my road kit, which I've been trying to beef up lately. Thanks to the frame mount technique, and a cheap LED flashlight I picked up at PEP Boys, I was able to remove the engine fairly quickly and put it in the front basket! Another use for a front basket - carry engine home after mechanical disaster!

The hardest part was disconnecting the throttle cable. It really takes two hands to remove the throttle cable, but I needed one more hand to hold the engine in place since it was no longer connected to anything! Sigh. The road kit came through like a champ, though. Everything but the bloody kitchen sink!

This latest carp in 6 weeks of riding underscores the growing suspicion in my mind that the GEBE system simply cannot hold up to the commuting demands that I am making on it. OTOH, it may be that I am still in the phase of figuring out how to upgrade a stock GEBE kit so that it can take those demands.

OTOH, after 6 weeks of riding I also have a growing suspicion that riding a motored bicycle *is* an effective form of exercise. I don't know if I've lost weight, but I definitely feel stronger than I did 6 weeks ago. Tonight I pushed 100lbs of bike and related carp up 2 looooong hills, and I wasn't even particularly tired when I got home (disgusted, but not really tired). I'm not sure I could have done that 6 weeks ago.

This week I will take the remnants of the GEBE lower mount strap to a local machinist and see if he can make a replacement that is quite a bit beefier.

Also... since I started using the "slotted" frame brackets, I've noticed a grimy black buildup on certain areas of the engine. I know these deposits build up quickly because I clean the bike often. I suspect these deposits are powdered belt residue, caused either by excessive belt tension, or by excessive demand for low end torque, and that the drive belt, with less than 600 miles on it, is not long for this world.

-Sam

Attachments

• DSC00270.JPG
    DSC00270.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 367
  • stabilizer_bracket_bolt_sheared_off.jpg
    stabilizer_bracket_bolt_sheared_off.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 385
Geez SMAP, I assume you were throttling the engine when the strap broke?
Did you use any non-GEBE hardware to bolt the engine down? Just wondering if this is avoidable.......that's terrible!:-/
I switched to the #12 trail gear today ( tanaka 33cc) and got alot of belt dust again. I noticed a "no no" with regard to throttling the engine while drifting downhill. In anticipation of the next hill, keeping up momentum I'll hit the throttle wide open and take a run at it. Not a good idea with the #12. I believe the smaller the gear, the slower one must travel to "pop" the clutch.
Some of this dust is probably due to the belt jumping/grinding noise I heard now and then. If you change gears, there is a rider learning curve to contend with all over again.:confused: But I prefer the #12 to the #13 thusfar.

Back