CVT What are today's thoughts on the use of CVTs?

Oh okay. That was Frankenstein by the way not me lol.

The things that put me off trying out a CVT are
the high price of £400 (I know they're less in US),
the cost/difficulty of getting a wheel built,
the limited range of 360%,
the mode of failure (I can still get home with a removed derailleur),
the incompatibility with my single wheel trailer.

Lame? Care to elaborate?
it's just that they feel wrong. when I get on the gas I want to hear a lot of noises and with a cvt I can only hear one

Haha, lame... What a shame, do you mean boring? Without the challenge of the constant upkeep of a derailleur, I could see it as boring, but in exchange for the necessity of upkeep for the darn motor you just put on the bike, it's a fair exchange. :)
I'm glad though that someone here likes 'em. Thanks Frankenstein :) the other bike forums hate on these things... I know it's a slight loss of power, but really, with a CVT in addition to the right gearing, how bad could it be?

People say these things cause a loss of top speed, but with the right gearing to compensate for the final reduction of a CVT, I'd think it'd could cause an increase top speed..

it is boring, but that's not the issue. I even like automatic transmissions. just the way it works doesn't feel right to me, almost feels like putting it in third and putting your foot to the floor with a busted clutch

Oh okay. That was Frankenstein by the way not me lol.

The things that put me off trying out a CVT are
the high price of £400 (I know they're less in US),
the cost/difficulty of getting a wheel built,
the limited range of 360%,
the mode of failure (I can still get home with a removed derailleur),
the incompatibility with my single wheel trailer.
Haha, I see, I didn't even notice it was you.. names start the same, similar length... Haha

Anyway, you can use a CVT that isn't a hub... :) But the price of some are offsetting.

it's just that they feel wrong. when I get on the gas I want to hear a lot of noises and with a cvt I can only hear one
Haha :) another reason for me to like it, quiet.

PS. Sorry about double post, I can't edit in a reply...

Haha, I see, I didn't even notice it was you.. names start the same, similar length... Haha

Anyway, you can use a CVT that isn't a hub... :) But the price of some are offsetting.
But that's why I chose this bright and distinctive profile picture. :rolleyes: lol

Yes, that's true, I could get a big dummy or a custom frame (or maybe a 29er cruiser) and use a four chain system with the CVT placed between the pedals and the rear cassette.. but that's ££££s. :confused:

I like the one I got enough to get another one to replace the 4 speed nexus. Takes off from a dead stop. Don't know what the top end is yet. Had it up to 43 and their was still more left.

it is boring, but that's not the issue. I even like automatic transmissions. just the way it works doesn't feel right to me, almost feels like putting it in third and putting your foot to the floor with a busted clutch
I don't get the third gear with a busted clutch. Mine jumps off the line and pulls pretty hard.

But that's why I chose this bright and distinctive profile picture. :rolleyes: lol

Yes, that's true, I could get a big dummy or a custom frame (or maybe a 29er cruiser) and use a four chain system with the CVT placed between the pedals and the rear cassette.. but that's ££££s. :confused:
Lol... Or, use a NuVinci as a jack shaft :)
Or a nockoff NuVinci... I don't know of any though...

Back