What do you do when it rains??

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by sparky, Aug 11, 2008.

1. sparky

sparky Active Member

I've seen quite a few people say that their motored bike is their only form of transportation. I'm just curious how those people get to work/school when it rains. Down here in the South, it doesn't rain that often... but when it rains, it pours! Mobile, AL supposedly gets more rainfall than Seattle, which is known as the "Rain City"... and Gulfport is just west of Mobile, so we get quite a bit of quick and heavy rainfall ourselves.

Now it's time for everybody to participate... What do you do when it rains??

Do you call in sick?

Do you ride anyway? If so, what setup do you have and what gear do you bring?

Do you take this time as an opportunity to drive your "other" vehicle that you actually despise?

Do you get a significant other or friend to drive you?

2. stude13

stude13 Active Member

hi sparky; its called rain city to keep the riffraff out.

3. alex

alex Guest

I duck and cover! Every crash I have been in has involved rain/slippery roads.

But in FL, it pours for maybe 10-15 mins and it is gone and then the roads are dry enough to ride on about 10 minutes after the rain.

(But in the summer, this happens multiple times a day).

4. Ozi

Ozi Member

Keep on sticken to the man large.

When its wet or raining I ride alot slower and take care cornering.

5. kerf

kerf Guest

Hot totty and old Perry Como records, now that's a rainy day. Tell me this old man don't rock.

6. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

I dont ride my MB in the rain unless I get caught in it. Same goes for the motorcycle. It's just not enjoyable and taking turns in the rain scares the jeepers out of me. I always feel like the bike is going to go out from under me if I hit an unexpected greasy spot. When I am caught out in it however I don't stop and wait for the rain, I just take care to get to where I'm going so I can dry off and warm up. Around here we can get quick thunderstorms or rain that hangs around for days so either way I dont see the need in trying to wait out the showers.

7. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

I have a Helly Hanson suit for fishing the Bearing. No problem.

8. Simonator

Simonator Guest

i p!ss and moan and just go for it!

However, the rain is nothing.... THe snow is what really gets on my nerves!!

9. gun the throttle, get through it as quickly as possible!! Make sure you have mud gaurds though =P oo oo also doing 18mph through a big flood is SO fun!! =D

10. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

I cuss and pedal because the rain makes my belt and tires slip, and I barely go over 20mph when it rains.

11. hehe chain for the win ;)

12. sparky

sparky Active Member

Chains still rust, tho... and I hate rust!

13. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

I plan on going to a chain for that reason, and the belt slip eats MPG if you don't keep the belt tight. Riding in the rain hurts when the raindrops feel like bullets! :shock:

14. Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2008
  15. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

there was a time (other bikes) years ago when I just had to do it - only means of transpo - time has come again -- for this old guy it will be some reduced speed and VERY careful on the turns - and a must to remember - cars seem to notice us even less in the rain !!! Happy Wet Riding from - Mountainman

16. pedalpower

pedalpower Member

outran a supercell today on the way home..well almost. I found cover while the really heavy stuff was coming down. It was definitely fun and I felt confident. much better than riding the regular bike in the rain. the only thing I would recommend for light rain conditions is gaitors. my thighs weren't that wet but my shins were soaked.

yeah, past the rain test today, cleaning and relubbing the chain and making sure air filter is dry.

17. it rained heavily for the last few days, the last time i EVER go cycling in the rain, its horrible! going at 30mph you just get SOAKED! its crazy :p and also the rain broke my engine, i think a small about of water must have entered the cyclinder or something .. i'm not sure i could just be making this up!?

umm wear a big big coat, and take a spare pair of jeans ;)

18. K - I'll be the wimp. Never taken it in the rain, and don't plan to. I have a cover I keep for it at work if I ever do get caught in a rainstorm. Don't mind the overtime:cool:
    But if I know what the weather is going to be in advance- I'll drive, ok, and maybe drift a little in the corners.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

19. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

A cheap rainsuit works just fine. I cut the legs off at about the knees. This allows me to pull the pants on and off without sitting down or taking off my boots. Having my lower legs get wet is a small price to pay for that convenience. And I also have a pair of water proof coveralls for very nasty stuff.

It's well worth any inconvenience to have the luxury of saying "Rainy day? Stormy day?
    What do I care?"

That's a good feeling.

One of the posters above mentioned that cagers see you less in the rain, and it's a good point. So it means that you gotta go with "heightened visibility". but that's not really a problem. There's a lot of ways to do that. Just make sure and do it.