What do you think about my porting job?

S

Shah100

This is my second porting job so far. I think I did pretty good. Just cleaned up the ports, rounded them out, and decked the jug. Also did a piston port for the first time to clear the intake at TDC. Any suggestions before I put it all back together?

Attachments

• 20230810_154142.jpg
    20230810_154142.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 20230810_154316.jpg
    20230810_154316.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 133
  • 20230810_154327.jpg
    20230810_154327.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 113
  • 20230810_153908.jpg
    20230810_153908.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 20230812_135626.jpg
    20230812_135626.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 112
Not too bad. Did you do any port timing adjustments, or just a clean up and polish? Hopefully you left the intake port rough (kinda hard to see).

What do you do for polishing the piston top and exhaust side? If you want to get to mirror finish, I can offer some suggestions, but your work is more than adequate as it is.

I enjoy making things shiny. Before and after on a CDH 110 cylinder head.

This is my second porting job so far. I think I did pretty good. Just cleaned up the ports, rounded them out, and decked the jug. Also did a piston port for the first time to clear the intake at TDC. Any suggestions before I put it all back together?
if you want it to make power, make them wider in the cross sectional area, raise the exhaust to get around 20 degrees of blow down and correct the transfers angles, also a flatter exh port roof helps if using a true pipe!
Look at the shape of exh port, copy that shape upside down on the port so that the wider flat edge is at the top.

Not too bad. Did you do any port timing adjustments, or just a clean up and polish? Hopefully you left the intake port rough (kinda hard to see).

What do you do for polishing the piston top and exhaust side? If you want to get to mirror finish, I can offer some suggestions, but your work is more than adequate as it is.

I raised the intake and exhaust by about a mm or 2 and widened them as well. I didnt really measure the port timing. Just did whatever it took to get that rounded mushroom look. As for the piston and exhaust, I just used some sandpaper and wd40. I first applied sandpaper from about 600grit to 3000 and then used a microfiber towel + wd40 afterwards. But yeah I have to ask how did you get that head so shiny? Looks great

I raised the intake and exhaust by about a mm or 2 and widened them as well. I didnt really measure the port timing. Just did whatever it took to get that rounded mushroom look. As for the piston and exhaust, I just used some sandpaper and wd40. I first applied sandpaper from about 600grit to 3000 and then used a microfiber towel + wd40 afterwards. But yeah I have to ask how did you get that head so shiny? Looks great
Like to gamble huh? lol If you want to get into port work more, definitely pick up a degree wheel. You can map out your ports before you ever get started and it helps you track what timing numbers do what with each port and how they interact with other ports. They are usually less than or around 20 bucks. A good investment for getting into port work.

I use a Wen Rotary Tool and I start with a series of Scotchbrite bits up to 1000 grit to do the "heavy lifting." I then followed it up with a basic Felt Polishing Wheel Kit and used These polishing compound bars to get it to the "Ohhh Shiny" stage in the picture. (Those are all links to the actual things I bought, btw)

It seems like a lot of money, but I already had the rotary tool, and I have used it to port and polish several motorcycle heads as well as a few 2 stroke cylinders. All of the bits, wheels, and compound are enough to do pretty much any and every project related to polishing I will ever need for several years. The felt wheels and compound in particular have been great for other projects as well. I've even restored some bathroom and kitchen fittings, chrome trim on cars, and even polished up some old tools that I found rusty and junk that other people have left abandoned.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
if you want it to make power, make them wider in the cross sectional area, raise the exhaust to get around 20 degrees of blow down and correct the transfers angles, also a flatter exh port roof helps if using a true pipe!
Look at the shape of exh port, copy that shape upside down on the port so that the wider flat edge is at the top.
Should both the intake and exhaust cross section area be wider or just the exhaust?

nice job. To me 2 strokes seem to run better when things are shiney. just not intake track

i would flatten the matting surface of that head though. with thoes casting divots it looks like trouble

Back