Whats the worst thing that has happened to you while riding your motorized bike?

2stroker

Local time
7:35 AM
I was going down steep hill a few years ago. I was going about 33 and my rear tire locked up on me. I slid for about 60feet trying not to dump the bike(it was real squirly kept wanting to fall over) Right when i thought i was safe the rim folded in half and i hit the pavement hard. I broke my wrist and had road rash badly. It was not a pleasant ride. I learned to make sure that my rims are in good condition and properly greased. Its a good thing i was wearing my helmet or it could have been bad. But always check your rims and make sure they dont wobble if they do tighten em up its not work the road rash!

Flat tire over 5 miles from home and its july, keep your mouth shut when riding the bike trails next to a creek because the bugs are thick.

I rolled my box trailer on it's roof, then got thrown clear of the bike by about 20 feet, landing in a filth infested creek, complete with blackberry bushes lining the stream banks.

I rolled my box trailer on it's roof, then got thrown clear of the bike by about 20 feet, landing in a filth infested creek, complete with blackberry bushes lining the stream banks.
I was wondering how safe that 12wheeler was. Did you get thrown off around a turn or what?

Nope, only tour with a single trailer, for i just carry a tool kit and spares.

My box trailer is fitted with 12" wheels. When the left hand side wheel fell into a 4 inch hole (whilst trying to swerve around) at maybe 20 miles an hour, the trailer decided it wasn't happy with such an experience; promptly upending itself.

Riding off-road trails (even if the trail is relatively close to a bitumen road) does throw up unexpected situations, regardless of the previous week's riding conditions.

For this reason, i've switched to a BoB IBEX uni-wheel trailer with articulated suspension.
Takes all of the worst riding conditions i can throw at it.

Motored bike: When the chain tensioner ate my rear wheel. I was going 15-20mph and accelerating and I hear a pop...pop...then the wheel stopped turning with a lovely crunching sound. Did a sweet 50 foot skid mark but didn't go down. Worst part was having to walk the bike the 1/4 mile home while holding the rear wheel off the ground.

Moped: Had a kid ride out in front of me on a bike while I was probably doing alittle over 25mph. I grabbed the brake (which is a dual pull) so hard that I locked both wheels and went over the bars. The moped continued on a few feet, landing on its side, still running, and leaking gas, then it backfired and set that gas on fire. I pulled it out of the flames and since it was on asphalt with no danger of setting anything else on fire, I let it burn out. I had really bad road rash on my arm, and when I pulled the brake so hard, I pulled something in my wrist because I couldn't make a fist for a week. The kid was fine, scrape on his knee, not sure I hit him, think he got scared and just fell. I picked the moped up, it fired right back up, and rode it home, its no worst for wear.

Motored bike: When the chain tensioner ate my rear wheel. I was going 15-20mph and accelerating and I hear a pop...pop...then the wheel stopped turning with a lovely crunching sound. Did a sweet 50 foot skid mark but didn't go down. Worst part was having to walk the bike the 1/4 mile home while holding the rear wheel off the ground.

Moped: Had a kid ride out in front of me on a bike while I was probably doing alittle over 25mph. I grabbed the brake (which is a dual pull) so hard that I locked both wheels and went over the bars. The moped continued on a few feet, landing on its side, still running, and leaking gas, then it backfired and set that gas on fire. I pulled it out of the flames and since it was on asphalt with no danger of setting anything else on fire, I let it burn out. I had really bad road rash on my arm, and when I pulled the brake so hard, I pulled something in my wrist because I couldn't make a fist for a week. The kid was fine, scrape on his knee, not sure I hit him, think he got scared and just fell. I picked the moped up, it fired right back up, and rode it home, its no worst for wear.
Should of brought some marshmellows!

My worst experience on a motor bike was about 53 years ago. I was 14 and my Whizzer was a fast one. It was a hot summer day in South LA. So I decided to go for a short ride past this cute girl’s house. Not a bad idea but very poor planning. All I was wearing at the time was a pair of Levis. No Shirt. No shoes, didn’t know what a helmet was.
I went flying down her street with the megaphone blaring. I must have been looking for some attention and I got some. At the end of the street you had to turn left or right. It was a “T” intersection. Hot day people using a lot of water. So this day the gutter was full of water. As soon as I hit it at the speed I was going the bike went out from under me. I went flying across the intersection like superman except I was on the asphalt. My face and torso got the worst of it but you haven’t lived until you have road rash on the tops of your feet.
The bike did a little flip when it hit the curb and landed in some ones front yard with the throttle stuck wide open. It was going in circles and tearing up the grass. It drew a crowd real fast they wanted to call an ambulance and the police and stuff. I fired up that Whizzer and rode it straight home with the ape hangers turned sideways. I had to get out of there quick. I was too young for any kind of license and the bike was not registered, of course. My mother didn’t even know I had built it. I knew she would not approve and she didn’t when she saw me.
A gallon or so of peroxide and some tweezers and I healed eventually. If I took a deep breath there for awhile the scabs would crack open a bleed again.
Old too soon, smart too late?

My worst experience on a motor bike was about 53 years ago. I was 14 and my Whizzer was a fast one. It was a hot summer day in South LA. So I decided to go for a short ride past this cute girl's house. Not a bad idea but very poor planning. All I was wearing at the time was a pair of Levis. No Shirt. No shoes, didn't know what a helmet was.
I went flying down her street with the megaphone blaring. I must have been looking for some attention and I got some. At the end of the street you had to turn left or right. It was a "T" intersection. Hot day people using a lot of water. So this day the gutter was full of water. As soon as I hit it at the speed I was going the bike went out from under me. I went flying across the intersection like superman except I was on the asphalt. My face and torso got the worst of it but you haven't lived until you have road rash on the tops of your feet.
The bike did a little flip when it hit the curb and landed in some ones front yard with the throttle stuck wide open. It was going in circles and tearing up the grass. It drew a crowd real fast they wanted to call an ambulance and the police and stuff. I fired up that Whizzer and rode it straight home with the ape hangers turned sideways. I had to get out of there quick. I was too young for any kind of license and the bike was not registered, of course. My mother didn't even know I had built it. I knew she would not approve and she didn't when she saw me.
A gallon or so of peroxide and some tweezers and I healed eventually. If I took a deep breath there for awhile the scabs would crack open a bleed again.
Old too soon, smart too late?
Ouch!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back