Wifes Trike

Discussion in 'Motorized Trikes' started by vegaspaddy, Oct 28, 2008.

1. vegaspaddy

vegaspaddy Member

well since we have our own little section now i can at least follow up on my wifes recumbent trike

(previously posted at the end of this thread)

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=13441

The wooden rollers that came with the trike are wearing out way too fast, i had been in contact with DE and made the suggestion that i might need to buy a lathe, but they countered me with, most people use a hole saw and 2x4's, WOW, you dont have to worry about belts with this setup thats for sure.

Anyhow i have ordered some urethane rollers which are denser so they should last longer !!! i hope...

I have to mount a kill switch up front (should arrive this week) on the handle bars for the engine. Oh how i love the auto engage, not having to pull that cord makes the effort of riding this soooo much easier, not that pulling a cord is hard in the first place, its just that when you can start up on the fly and not have to dismount its way to cool.

I will probably order the standard half fairing that is made for these trikes to see how it works out and maybe later on, go for the full front setup.

The trike is cruising at around 20 mph with the 1 1/2 inch roller, hill climbing a steady 15 mph, i havnt tried the 1 3/4 yet which would probably get me too 25 mph, but since this thing attracts so much attention i dont want it going too fast anyway.

IT IS FOR THE WIFE AFTER ALL !!!

Vegas

2. pumpbuilder

pumpbuilder Member

Your setup is way different then mine but if your going thru the wood's way fast then maybe your getting a little slippage, just a hair more tension from a leg adjustment might make a differance. I do use the eurathane myself tho cause they do look a lot cooler.

3. vegaspaddy

vegaspaddy Member

hi pump,

i dont think its slippage, i literally have to kneel down on top the unit when i tighten the outside lock nut, its probably because the rig is pretty heavy,maybe i am locking it too tight, rob is sending the urethane rollers out his week and i will change the tire to a smooth thread hopefully this will help solve the problem.

4. pumpbuilder

pumpbuilder Member

Didn't realise you were running rough tires. I use a standard tire pattern and keep the preasure pretty moderate as I set it with a spacer. I use a piece of metal about 1.5 times as thick as the leg and place that between the drive roller and the tire when the engagement is in the off position. Now this has made the engine "bump" start a couple times when going off huge curbs and in disengaged mode but makes for a tight but not to tight engagement.

5. vegaspaddy

vegaspaddy Member

hi pumpbuilder,

i had the rougher thread on there because the old slicks were getting too many punctures. When i was riding with just the electric kit there was alot of construction going on with new housing developments and so fourth, That said its eased up alot now as you can imagine so once i get the new rollers from rob, i will switch over to slicks and line tires, slime etc, help bombproof.

Getting the right pressure will always be an effort, which i now accept because of the internal leg config, when i engage and disengage their is the slightest of movements which will always be their until i come up with a better solution than the threaded rod.

I have to beef up the joint somehow and yet allow enough movement for the unit to function. When i first started to mount this was my biggest probem i was trying too put on too many extra supports without realising it was affecting the way the roller was supposed to move. The simplier the better the less that can go wrong !!!!

6. pumpbuilder

pumpbuilder Member

I am really looking forward to hear how the preformance changes when you upsize and switch to the eurathane.

7. pumpbuilder

pumpbuilder Member

It's too bad that there is not some sort of "post" or something that match's the angle of that wheel then it would be the same as mounting to any other "standard" bike.

8. JemmaUK

JemmaUK Guest

I have to say I have been tempted by recumbants - but they are soooo far out of my price range in the UK its ridiculous.. then again, its probably better that I dont since doing the remembrance avenue at almost 40mph on a sit up and beg makes enough car drivers nervous already lol

Have you tried a very fine glasspaper around the wooden core? - might help the rollers last - although as you say, since its just a matter of cutting another one out - there seems little point - just carry spares.

Btw I found a good high capacity fuel carrier... 750ml screw top wine bottle will fit in a standard bottle holder - with everything full to capacity I have 600ml + 500ml + 750ml total fuel for just under 75 miles :)

9. vegaspaddy

vegaspaddy Member

The sx version of the trike which this kit was designed for would be a easy setup. The problem, well not yet anyhow hasnt been the wheel but the interior support leg. Because of the interior disk brakes i had to split the support and add the threaded rod to mount the bottom section.

In the normal setup (sx version, no insde disk brake, no threaded rod)this would be locked solid with no movement ,but because of the weight of the engine etc. been supported on the threaded rod it is flexing when i disengage and engage the unit. I have one or two ideas that might work,by adding a support arm from the axle of the bike, up to the rod which will have a drilled hole to allow it to move slightly back and forward horizontally, but honestly i don't have two minutes too myself with the kids and my wifes doc appointments.

10. tinker4

tinker4 Member

SX

See you should have gotten the SX verson instead of AX! Way less problems.
    You still have a cool rig....:grin:

11. vegaspaddy

vegaspaddy Member

yea, yea, what you going to doooo, but the 20 inch wheels all around look way cooler!!!!

my new colorful rollers (red blue and green!!!!)came in today, so hopefully over the weekend i might get a chance to do some work, my drive side axle had started to squeak... not a good sign so i will strip it down and do some greasing etc, hopefully nothing too major.

back soon, with pic of my colorful new rollers !!!!!

12. tinker4

tinker4 Member

What

SO YOU SAY!:evil:

13. pumpbuilder

pumpbuilder Member

Yeah, what he said!! Looking forward to your next post and a review... Did you try the higher speed ones yet?

Didn't realize the wife was having Dr issues, I hope all is well.

Doug

14. vegaspaddy

vegaspaddy Member

Life can throw some curveballs thats for sure, at the start of the year my wife was like any normal person.... then she was diagnosed with MS, currently she is in a wheelchair unable to walk but we take one day at a time and with the right cocktail of meds we will beat this back into remission, it sucks but with the two young kids ...STAYING STRONG is the most important thing we can do right now.

Anyhow enough about that had a couple of hours to get on the new slicks, and roller (1 1/5) on there, speed went up...didnt top it out but i was travelling at 29 mph Quickly !!!!!

The setup had alot more vibration threw to the frame, wether it was the new roller or the thinner tires will have to wait and see, will mess around with it a little again tomorrow. After a couple of trips up and down my street i blew out the tube on the drive side. The tube was running high psi around 100 which is the normal pressure for these tires, i did have a tire liner in but the blow out was on the inside, spoke nuts, maybe i had the roller pressure set to hard.. will have to get a new tube and some wheel liner tomorrow and mess around again.

15. vegaspaddy

vegaspaddy Member

had a chance to work some more on the trike today. I added some rubber strips around the mounting points of the trike and added the new heavy duty tubes today.

Yesterdays blowout - caused by severe over pressure in the tires, my first set of kenda tires could run on 100 psi,the replacements only 65 max yoops no wonder there was such a loud bang.... Will upgrade tires again to the high pressure once i find them on the internet.

Still trying to get the angle of the drive wheel lined up with the wheel and still trying to get it centered over the wheel when it engages, ongoing battle, until then i am staying away from the 1 .75 roller.

Back to normal speed today, the vibration is gone, without touching the throttle it cruises at 18mph which is about perfect for the trike.

16. vegaspaddy

vegaspaddy Member

Its been such beautiful weather here its crazy 80 in the afternoon, that i have had to sneak a couple of spins on the trike. Running great, will have to do an oil change in the next day or so and then get ready to thread lock everything down.

Might even pluck up the courage to put the 1.75 on and see how faster i can get up too, as of yet i have not messed with any of the restrictor nuts and bolts so i now am at the bottom of this engines potential, but on the trike cruising between 15 to 18 mph is a dream anything over 20 and well lets just say am glad am sitting down..

Will probably pick up the front fairing over the winter and make that handy shelf i found on one my previous bookmarks....

you guys still out there i hope.....

17. tinker4

tinker4 Member

Glad to here the trike is running good, I know what your saying about this weather weve been having its been great. Now what handy shelf are you talking about? :wheelchair:

18. vegaspaddy

vegaspaddy Member

they gave rain for next week i will believe it when i see it, i actually live in the foothills of mount charleston which will probably end up getting some snow, its always a fun trip going sledging with the little ones....

well they called it a battery deck, handy shelf whatever....

scroll half way down the page and you will see it, and they want $50 for a peice of painted plywood.

It should work and not get in the way of my extended trailer hitch.

http://www.electric-bikes.com/betterbikes/customization.html

19. vegaspaddy

vegaspaddy Member

sorry haven't been around for a while wifes health hasn't been too good so not much spare time to do anything!!!

Still have to do my oil change before i take it out for a ride soon, the last time i got to do anything i finished off the light setup on the back of my gebe, hopefully by spring the trike and gebe will be finished so i can start riding more and less tinkering, i have a video camera ready to go,

maybe if am crazy enough, or have a death wish, i could go for a cruise down the VEGAS STRIP...

chances are a would get squashed by a stretched hummer before getting pulled over by the flashing red white and blue...

20. pumpbuilder

pumpbuilder Member

Vegas,

I hope you and the family have had a wonderful Christmas and I hope you all have a most excellent year.

Ever try that 1.75 yet?