Winter projects?

You're my hero- a misty, drizzly 40 degrees here. I don't ride my bike out when there is road schmutz....too many nooks and crannies to clean.

Got the vibratory tumbler working....and boy does it have good movement. The first motor I used was from a $4 thrift store weed whacker...this one is much, much better.

The parts and the media just flow very well through the bowl...now I need to get some decent media. Some abrasive impregnated beads for initial smoothing, then some crushed walnut shells for final polish.

Now I just need to finish the speed holes in my gears and get them all polished.

Hi Hough, curious what goes in the tumbler that you want to polish? Are you going to show us what your contraption looks like (I mean the tumbler)?

By the way- I am glad that bad lawyer joke didn't seem to bother you, and thanks for you insightful comments that I see, as I am grazing here.

Number 1- I have a collection of lwyer jokes to rival anyone.

Number 2- pics are to come...but just to wet the appetite...imagine a plastic cutting board mounted on shrings on top of a larger plastic cutting board with a small bench grinder bolter to the upper cutting board- 8 fender washers on each side of the grinder with one side cut off the washers, a steel plate bolted to the top of the grinder with a mixing bowl bolted to the steel plate....and a shower cap an the bowl to keep dust in the bowl....

That's the truth...the last thing I want to do is get this thing ready to ride in mid February...
no kiddin'!

i keep putting off final small details on the MB (i only own one, i only ever wanted the one) because it's been mostly "complete" for months now...my winter "project" has been to shop for traveling gear, i'm almost done with that, too...still two months before i hit the road, talk about jumping the gun, eh?

this little peninsula is really unique...no snow to speak of all season, temperatures in the 30's-60's, mostly high 40's, but rain-rain-rain and lots of strong winds pushing it around.

there are four of us here who are full-time riders...quay, 'cruzin', kevin, & myself, all GEBE, all solid safe & reliable rides...and all four of us are waterproof from head to toe. i don't care if the rain's coming in sideways, if i need to get something or want to go somewhere, i'm gettin' and goin'.

y'all have what sounds like a lot of fun projects going on...me, i have a fully-equipped but mostly dormant shop, all our rides are in top-shape, we spend more time goofing off & playing darts than anything else...all safe at home :cool:

It was even warmer yesterday, rode another 7 miles! I'm sure, seeing the quality of your MBs, your V.C. will turn out super. BTW, do you know if John Cook is still the Wrestling coach at V.H.S.?

Here are the pics of my creation. I will post pics of a finished piece...but the nature of these things is that the take many, many hours...especially since I don't have good media yet. I used thick plastic cutting boards because I figured they would resist failure better than wood while not absorbing vibration like plywood. $12 for the cutting boards. All told, probably less than $30 in it....so far. Years ago I built a rolling tool stand. My portable table saw is bolted to one end. On the other, I usually have my compound miter, but it is built so I can unscrew 2 knobs and place my router table on it (which stores underneath). As you can see, the vibratory tumbler mounts where the miter/router table would. These pics were take with it running.

Whizzerd...and I don't know who the wrestling coach is...my kids are younger than H.S. and I'm not from here originally....and you are an iron man. Snow today.

Attachments

• tumbler_1.jpg
    tumbler_1.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 152
  • tumbler_2.jpg
    tumbler_2.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 137
Last edited by a moderator:
Here are the pics of my creation. I will post pics of a finished piece...but the nature of these things is that the take many, many hours...especially since I don't have good media yet. I used thick plastic cutting boards because I figured they would resist failure better than wood while not absorbing vibration like plywood. $12 for the cutting boards. All told, probably less than $30 in it....so far. Years ago I built a rolling tool stand. My portable table saw is bolted to one end. On the other, I usually have my compound miter, but it is built so I can unscrew 2 knobs and place my router table on it (which stores underneath). As you can see, the vibratory tumbler mounts where the miter/router table would. These pics were take with it running.

Whizzerd...and I don't know who the wrestling coach is...my kids are younger than H.S. and I'm not from here originally....and you are an iron man. Snow today.

Interesting. Let us know how it works once you find the media you're going to use. How do you get the motor to vibrate? That part is unclear. You have some type of unbalanced weight spinning somewhere, right? And from your previous post, the pressure of that vibration is NOT absorbed by the motor bearings, but some other auxiliary bearings that are easily replaced...where does that all happen?

Good job,

Warner

There are 8 large fender washers on each side which have one side of them cut off. like the pic below. You can't see them in the pics because there is a whole fender washer on the outside...and they are spinning. There are replaceable bearings that support the shafts inside the grinder.

Attachments

• washer.JPG
    washer.JPG
    6 KB · Views: 106
There are 8 large fender washers on each side which have one side of them cut off. like the pic below. You can't see them in the pics because there is a whole fender washer on the outside...and they are spinning. There are replaceable bearings that support the shafts inside the grinder.

Got it. And those are NOT on the shaft of the motor?

Warner

The motor itself has a bearing at either end and the shaft extends out of both ends. However, there is a second bearing on each side just where the shaft exits the housing. The weights are on the motor shaft itself, but I'm thinking that the second set of bearings will take the brunt of the abuse.

Back