witch one is best?

I found less power when I port matched the intake to the cylinder.
It worked much better with a mismatch (I was using the steel offset 40mm).
I theorize that it was due to it bucking the backflow with the mismatch, acts like a one-way valve.

Steve

you the man gary!the one steel one (polished)has a 17mm id both cast ones have 15mm id that opens to 21mm across at flange. I was was thinking that the change in dia will slow the intake charge!

Attachments

• 2016-11-25 22.38.46.jpg
    2016-11-25 22.38.46.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 106
  • 2016-11-25 22.40.09.jpg
    2016-11-25 22.40.09.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 96
I found less power when I port matched the intake to the cylinder.
It worked much better with a mismatch (I was using the steel offset 40mm).
I theorize that it was due to it bucking the backflow with the mismatch, acts like a one-way valve.

Steve
That could very well be. You approach things with a more scientific method than I did. Once I got into doing mods. I went for everything I saw that made since to me at the time. So I wound up with aftermarket head, decked jug, piston ramped at exhaust and transfers, skirt raised at intake.
Matched intake, exhaust, and jug to case. Knifed transfers at entry and cyl. window with removed castings. Opened up intake and exhaust ports. Added a delorto carb and expansion chamber. By jumping in head long some of my mods, may be hindering the benefits of the others.
I really should retrace my steps one at a time to eliminate misdirections.

sounds like alot of peoples story and we have all fell for the bigger is better theory at times but you have skills brother no dought!

I'll keep listening to you and Steve. Maybe I can get this ol knife honed a little sharper. There are so many differing variables. It could be as odd as a matched intake working well with a expansion chamber, but not a stock exhaust..

Lately on my own bikes I'm not messing much with these intakes. I have the rse reed with a delorto 16 16 on one, and I honestly think the small reed is restricting the carbs. full potential. The next one I'm building for myself is the gt80. It has the large reed,boost port jug, and I think I'm gona try to adapt a mikuni 18mm to it.

That could very well be. You approach things with a more scientific method than I did. Once I got into doing mods. I went for everything I saw that made since to me at the time. So I wound up with aftermarket head, decked jug, piston ramped at exhaust and transfers, skirt raised at intake.
Matched intake, exhaust, and jug to case. Knifed transfers at entry and cyl. window with removed castings. Opened up intake and exhaust ports. Added a delorto carb and expansion chamber. By jumping in head long some of my mods, may be hindering the benefits of the others.
I really should retrace my steps one at a time to eliminate misdirections.

Me too over the years Gary, or even worse, following blindly the advice of magazines or forums.
Magazines are nothing but a sales platform designed to sell parts to the largest advertizers. These advertizers only spend a tiny portion of their advertizing money on a page, the rest goes into wining and dining the editorial staff and giving event, dyno and parts access for the stories to get written. Some of the worst motors I put together were following a magazine formula of "add parts and stir".

Forums (like this) may or may not be as bad. Most are simply a chorus of well intentioned guys repeating what they heard and take as truth. Some forums are run as a marketing tool also, and intend to sway opinion toward purchasing. My son is on a Banshee forum that will tear you apart if you make it yourself rather than buy it. "That's whats destroying American business". What is destroying American business is not keeping up. Briggs vs Honda, know what I mean? Look at shifter kits. Once invented, hard to keep the copycats at bay, but if you keep improving! They cannot keep up. More rugged, easier to install, lighter, which will YOU buy?

Ah, I'm on a rant, aren't I?

Yup, I used to do it "all at once" too. Often on V8 motors with thousands of $$$ at stake.
It was my wife who pointed out that it was the motors I spent most on were the the most problematic.
The motors I build one part at a time evolved, refined, grew to work amazing.
This is a great example:
57608-1bc2a14452d902d85d26d4fc970c25f6.jpg

Started with a 1973 351C 4bbl motor, one part at a time, raised compression to all it could stand, just enough camshaft to allow a bit more, went bigger and then smaller on carbs. This car could spin tires to just shy of 100mph on the low octane that was available in 1978. It was a daily driver 145mph car that got reasonable fuel mileage. One step at a time. I later built a smallblock Ford that was almost undrivable following a magazine formula, because I had the money to do it. More money than brains.

So, these Chinese motors have given me the chance to double check everything I thought I knew. And you know, Some of it has been wrong.

There are authors not motivated by greed, but a thirst for knowledge, who have given away jewels of knowledge to anyone who could think. Ak Miller, Smokey Yunick, Larry Widmer, and of course Gord Jennings. Read, learn, experiment, learn more.

My tea is gone, break is over, back to work.

Steve

you the man gary!the one steel one (polished)has a 17mm id both cast ones have 15mm id that opens to 21mm across at flange. I was was thinking that the change in dia will slow the intake charge!
17mm id is great if you have a 17mm carb but the stock carb is a 14mm. an oversized intake plenum will kill torque.

when I talk about flow characteristics, I'm talking about turbulence, not rate. flow rate just needs to be matched to the motor, turbulence is what needs to be kept to a minimum

if we're throwing other variables in then none of these plenums are worth s**t and you should just machine a decent one out

Last edited:
So next up we have a very well balanced crank from factory!

Attachments

• 2016-11-26 23.38.51.jpg
    2016-11-26 23.38.51.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 2016-11-26 23.40.20.jpg
    2016-11-26 23.40.20.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 2016-11-26 23.40.56.jpg
    2016-11-26 23.40.56.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 2016-11-26 23.41.45.jpg
    2016-11-26 23.41.45.jpg