1 pound of Marine Grease is < $4 @ auto parts stores... Goes on all parts 30x over...

Yup, I found out the hard way -- my favorite way. :devilish:

I didn't follow the suggested methods (mixing with solvent or boiling in a pan), but just tried "packing" it with my fingers and didn't even wipe the excess off.

First night I was riding, my back wheel came loose just a tad and moved my pedal chain, so of course it pops off as I'm standing on it with the right side of my body. Foot hits ground. Pedal cuts calf. Not necessarily in that order.

Tightened it up and then went on my way.

Couple days ago, engine chain pops off. No biggie, put it back on keep riding to my destination. Ride back home (~15 miles) today, and the engine chain popped off almost a dozen times.

Get back home and realize that my tensioner wheel is sliding side to side on its axis. Correct that, now no more problem.

But there was a ton of sand on my chain, so I just removed the grease. It was a pain. Used carb cleaner on one chain, then ran out and decided I didn't want to buy anymore carb cleaner!! So I used the air compressor to spray off all the grease, sand, & other grime. Worked surprisingly well, tho my 6 gal. pancake compressor seemed like she was getting stressed after I did both those chains like that in the end. Little more wiping and hardly could tell the difference. :whistle:

Went to the parts store and got 10oz of Liquid Wrench White Lithium for $4.

Still much better than the prices for I've seen for Tri-Flow, White Lightning, etc. at my local bike shops. $10 for an itty bitty can!!! They're easily charging 4x more for the exact same products. I'd love to help my LBS out, but at 400% markup on the little things that allow me to support it... I'll stick to an auto part store for the real deal.

P.S. -- If anybody actually tries mixing the grease w/ solvent or boiling the grease before I get around to it, please post your thoughts. :)

I think the solvent idea w/ a wipe down could work surprisingly well...

Back