CVT Anyone Using A Comet Torq-A-Verter?

5-7HEAVEN

Working on "BOB", my 6hp push trailer.

After careful measurements, I find that the Comet TAV should clear the block of my 6hp Robin overhead cam engine by .020"!!

The TAV clears the trailer and lines up with a jackshaft. After the trailer's dropouts are widened from 100mm to 135mm, the 16" BMX mag wheel and freewheel sprocket should fit well.

My question is if anyone is using this Comet TAV on their bike, trike or trailer?

Check this out. It even gives the formula for gear-ratio selection.

http://www.hoffcocomet.com/comet/speed-limiter.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Zomby tried them for a while, and had problems with burning them up. That being said, my trike has an internal CVT and it seems to be doing fine. Comet also makes CVT's for snow machines. I haven't heard of any probs with them.

Thanks for responding.

What kind of engine do you have and how does your internal CVT work?

cvt

I wish that these would work on a Whizzer.... Whizz uses the flywheel as the magnito or I would throw it away & replace it with one of these. Just my jaded opinion of the Whizzer auto clutch though. It truly Suxxxx. Ask olddude, he uses these on his 6.5 Techumsies, & likes them a lot.

The internal CVT is on my Lifan. As for how it works, I assume it works just like a Torq-A-Verter, but I don't know for sure. I'm not planning on looking at it 'til the motor breaks.

I have used these before on go kart's. I believe the ratios go from 2.7:1 to .9:1 overdrive on the TAV. I have had good luck with them, never burned one up, but you do need to keep it lubed and maintained (as with any clutch). I did some calcs, with a 60tooth sprocket, you should be able to do close to 40 in high, but have a nice 13.5:1 gear ratio in low. I think the cost is what keeps alot of people away from using these more.

Last edited:
Thanks for feedback, guys.

Gungatim, 40mph is exactly the speed which I intend to limit "BOB", my push trailer.

I am running a Comet TAV2 converter. So far over 600+ miles and no problems. I just did a pre season inspection of the torque converter. No wear, everything tight, no noticable wear on the belt. I looks as good as the day it was installed. Just waiting for the weather to break.

buck, which engine and bike setup are you using. What is your sprocket gear ratio, and do you have 6" or 7" pulley?:geek:

Back