Brief Hesitation When Full Throttle Applied

Hal the Elder

Local time
8:23 PM
Hey Y'all...

First, let me say that Oscar has never run better!

Yesterday we crested Wadena Hill at 30 MPH...the best performance ever!

However, there's the minor irritation of "stumbling" for about one second when I'm cruising at moderate throttle and suddenly open it wide. After the brief hesitation, full power returns and everything is Jake.

Is this because the carburetor has no accellerator pump (like an automobile carburetor) to squirt a jet of gas into the intake to instantly handle the wide-open throttle?

My 22mm carb has been modified to the following configuration:

Restrictor plate opened to match the port opening.

82mm Main Jet replaced the stock 90mm jet.

Needle clip placed in 4th groove.

My elevation is 3000 ft. where the atmospheric pressure is only 13.16 PSI.

Thanks...
HAL & OSCAR

Last edited:
Hal
You still have 2 grooves that you can try on the needle. Try the 5th groove first and if that makes it worse try the 3rd.

Jim

Last edited:
Hi Hal With what you have done your next step is to advance your ignition plate. This make the throddle control more agressive and in my case got ride of low end hesitation..Hope this helps..Bill

HEY BILL:

My throttle response is instantaneous and snappy! It's only when I go suddenly from part throttle to full throttle that the engine says "who, me?" for one second and then recovers.

I would think that the problem is carb-related.

Thanks...
HAL

Last edited:
HEY JIM:

With the needle clip in the 5th groove, it makes it worse...and it also sucks the tank dry with only 7 revolutions of the flywheel!

AND THIS IS WITH A SMALLER MAIN JET!

Will try the 3rd groove next.

HAL

HEY JIM:

The 3rd groove was the charm!

Now I get good full-throttle response whether roll-on or snap-on!

HAL