Engine Trouble comptession test

Well i tested everything according to instruction and i got nothing on volts and nothing on ohms is it possible that my cdi and mag went bad? Just prior to it dying i was going kinda fast

if it shows infinite resistance or something in the mega-ohm range that means the coil has a burned wire and open circuit.
its ****ed so throw it away. get another one.

on a 2K scale, you can also try between the blue wire and the tiny bit of copper wire that comes out of the top of the coil to a soldered connection on the steel armature - if you get a 320 - 360 reading there, you can often resolder that connection and be good again

I appreciate the intent but thats a little unclear to me on what to exactly do with the mm.

you could check google for how to use a meter

once you get it set for some range that is about 2K or close to that, you just put the leads where you want to check (mag can be off the bike & sitting in your lap or on the bike or anywhere)

nothing else to do - just touch the leads and read the meter

Wow thats really good info!!! I appreciate all the ecpertize. Im considering a quality cdi replacement .is it really that much better? And dont i have to get a higher quality coil at the same time in ordrr to reap the benifits of a good cdi? Im not sure i can even find a performance coil

At JNMotors you have two options:
1) buy the CDI alone and buy your own coil (the best being a Honda coil for their CR motocrossers)
2) buy the combo of CDI and coil

Back