Crank seal anxiety

Local time
7:55 AM
Finally purchased a set of crank seals , looked really straightforward and simple
Can't even get slotted screw holding small gear of clutch.got impact driver from harbor freight, beat on that thing for an hour till wooden handle on hammer broke
can somebody offer a little advise,don't know if torch is good idea,as I live in a suburb of boston (the hood)
So people will call cops if some guy is walking around with a torch especially with dry leaves all over the place HELP

yeah, if you look back in threads here a couple years, you'll see a lot of folks had that bolt come out while riding because some factory guy didn't get it on tight - since then many factories are using thread lock on that bolt and it is HARD to get it off - I had one customer knock his crank out of true hammering on it

I use a good hand impact drive and a 2 1/2 lb hammer with a very good slotted bit - takes quite a while to get it all the way off - you're going to replace seal anyway, then a propane torch may get the thread lock off

Last edited:
no, it is normal thread - hand impact is best as the hammer forces bit deep into slot just as it turns

Back