Dellorto carb issue

NOLA Rider

Local time
10:10 AM
I bought a genuine, brand new Dellotro carb (not a clone) with the upgraded filter to put on my bike and was very disappointed. I have lost the top end and not sure why. The engine doesn't bog down when you get to a medium rev, but just won't go any higher. Everything I have read says it's a slap-and-go carb with pretty much no adjustment I can make to alter the mixture. Could my shift kit be an issue? I used to have a Skyhawk CNS carb before it just had enough. Anyone?

I bought a genuine, brand new Dellotro carb (not a clone) with the upgraded filter to put on my bike and was very disappointed. I have lost the top end and not sure why. The engine doesn't bog down when you get to a medium rev, but just won't go any higher. Everything I have read says it's a slap-and-go carb with pretty much no adjustment I can make to alter the mixture. Could my shift kit be an issue? I used to have a Skyhawk CNS carb before it just had enough. Anyone?
There's rarely such thing as a guaranteed-to-work-well-out-of-the-box carburetor. Too many variables. Your WOT mixture adjustment will be done with the main jet sizing. If everything else is good with the bike, get a range of jets and try larger/smaller ones. Be sure you don't go too lean!
There are lots of resources on the web about how to select the right jet. Keep in mind it may vary with the weather/season too.

I live a little below sea level so I'm guessing larger jets? I've never really messed with them before.
What size is the dellorto carb? the cns you had was 16mm and if you now put a 15mm or even smaller that's your answer.Where do you live that put's you below sea level?

Yep, I live in New Orleans. The highest land here is at the zoo in the monkey exhibit. Something like 9 feet above sea level.
The Dellorto is a "15.15" so I'm assuming it's 15mm? I've read about the drilling and soldering method. Anyone favor that over buying a set?

I've done the drill and solder method for a few years with no issues. Just gotta heat up the jet before putting the solder drop in or else it might not stick well.

Back