different fuels, e85 or nitro-methane

mark20

Local time
3:08 PM
well, i got bit by the performance bug again, soo.

has anyone tried running different fuels in these things, as im just curious what advantages they have
(ive seen 2 strokestuffings moped run on nitromethane, i would like to copy that if possible)

i was thinking i could get some e85 from a gas station (i heard they dont like to mix with oil, is this true? im mainly considering this one because its much cheaper than nitromethane, 50$ a gallon vs 2.89$)

i have raised the deck 1mm, ported the exhuast, and shaved the piston skirt.
im planing on getting a pipe soon but for now i could mess around with different fuels.

anyway thanks in advanced!

I do believe you will need to change jetting if switching fuels. Not sure about the oil not wanting to mix part, haven't had a 2 stroke for about 5 years.

I do believe you will need to change jetting if switching fuels. Not sure about the oil not wanting to mix part, haven't had a 2 stroke for about 5 years.
I believe id have to nearly double the size of the jet for nitro methane, and its about the same for the e85 maybe a bit less, i do have a micro drill bit set so that no problem. Id probably just get a gallon of e85, mix it 32:1, drill the jet out, and then see what happens.

I believe id have to nearly double the size of the jet for nitro methane, and its about the same for the e85 maybe a bit less, i do have a micro drill bit set so that no problem. Id probably just get a gallon of e85, mix it 32:1, drill the jet out, and then see what happens.
I'm not sure that the oil mix should remain the same, increasing jet size while keeping the same mix ratio might make it extra smokey and cause carbon buildup. If the engine is getting almost twice the fuel as before, it shouldn't need twice the oil. Nitromethane runs way cooler than regular gas, and I think e85 runs a bit cooler as well (as long as both either aren't running lean). The engine shouldn't need additional oil on top of the fuel.

I'm not sure that the oil mix should remain the same, increasing jet size while keeping the same mix ratio might make it extra smokey and cause carbon buildup. If the engine is getting almost twice the fuel as before, it shouldn't need twice the oil. Nitromethane runs way cooler than regular gas, and I think e85 runs a bit cooler as well (as long as both either aren't running lean). The engine shouldn't need additional oil on top of the fuel.
Id probably have to experiment with it a little bit.
Ill probably need some higher quality oil as well , the current wallyworld stuff i have, I dont trust at more than 32:1.

Main reason i also want to run 32:1 that is so the jet size can be a bit smaller and i wouldnt have to drill out the emulsion tube (again, all a estimate)

For the nitro methane ill use rc fuel (there premixed allready) but thats my last option, e85 is the primary one right now

Good luck with E85, you'll have a hard time getting consistent results. This is because refiners have a lot of leeway in what they can put into E85. It could be as little as 50% ethanol, or as much as 85%. There's no way to tell without doing a specific-gravity test. New cars that run E85 have an inline ethanol-content sensor so the EFI can compensate for variations and mixtures of E10 and E85.

You'd be better off running straight methanol, but it's really corrosive. With either eth or meth you want more compression. Without that you're just burning more fuel for no good reason.

Nitro is the real deal, lots of power to be had there, IF your engine can handle it. There's a real good chance it'll just blow up.

So, i just got ahold of some e85 (beleve its closer to 80%)

I will be upjetting a bit and closing the squish gap to .5.

Currently its mixed at 40:1, ill try to make it run on this stuff tommorrow or Tuesday

Should be fun!

Attachments

• 20191229_184118.jpg
    20191229_184118.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 225
UPDATE!

so, this morning i went out and did a experiment, i mixed up a batch of 40:1 91 gasoline (ethinal free)
and i got out my 40:1 e85.

first differences.
the e85 LOVES to go rich, and i mean rich, i had to drill out the stock jet a lot (believe im close to a #88 jet size now, i used a #65 drill bit)

the e85 i can go with a tighter squish gap ( im running about a .5 squish gap right now, 91 started ticking (spark knock?) , so i used the stock gasket for the 91)

ill have to test out the preformence differences later, as theirs about 3in of snow on the ground (still rode it, with the e85 it feels a bit more torquer on the bottom end, but i think thats do to the increased compression)

overall, im liking the new fuel!

I've been pondering this as well. Where are you paying 2.89 for corn water? That's the price of non ethanol premium here in central mn. E85 is 2.20.

Back