Engine only runs when I put petrol on the spark plug

I'll buy a new spark and see if it works. It's worth mentioning that the day before it stopped working I stupidly hosed it down because it was covered in dirt from riding along a dirt path and the cdi wires got a bit wet. However the engine was able to cold start right after this shower down. And I drove it for about 20 minutes before coming home. The next day was when it couldn't start. If its waterdamaged is it my sparkplug that's broken, my cdi, my magnito or all 3. I have spun the wheel with the spark plug removed and it definitely does spark. It's not a big spark though.

David I just read your post about oil dripping from the exhaust, this could be from the 16/1 fuel mix or the way you are trying to start it. Like Chris recommend replace the spark plug and try to start with minimal to no choke, all are different, I have 3 bikes at the moment and each I have to start a little different.

I don't think you have any water damage, the cdi is a sealed unit, pull the magneto cover off and look for moisture. The mag coil will fail if it get wet. If you have weak spark make sure the black wire has a good ground, some have a eyelet the mounting screw goes through and some are soldered. I've had to take a coil off and sand the flats of the back to get a good solid ground. Also make sure the push together connectors are tight from coil to cdi/kill switch.

After taking off the cdi I noticed moisture in the end where the spark plug goes. Now I'm worried that the magneto might have failed also. If there was water on the magneto would it outright fail or is there a change it could just reduce power going to the spark plug?

I have attached a picture of my cdi at the spark plug end. Thanks for the responses!!

Attachments

• 20200115_213612.jpg
    20200115_213612.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 210
Here's a picture of the cdi after leaving it on the radiator for half an hour

Attachments

• 20200115_221030.jpg
    20200115_221030.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 207
David it's best to keep this in one thread, you'll get more help that way.

Back