Gouge in cylinder wall

Bgard

Local time
2:44 AM
Friday I was out on a ride. I had just put a new carb on. I don't know how but something got into my HT cylinder. What a gouge in the cylinder wall. I haven't taken it all apart to try and find the culprit yet but it looks like a screw or something similar. Any way Just for ****s and giggles I am going to try to J-B weld the gouge. The motor is almost surely toast anyway. What are you thoughts and experience on this. The gouge in right to the piston top center between the inlet and exhaust ports. If the rings haven't been hurt I am going to try this. Still I would like to know how anything got in there. I will post pics as soon as I take it apart. I will do a total dismantle to try and find the object.

I'd first try to run it as is without the jb weld - might work reasonably.

No I think it is to deep. If the rings are still good they would burn out fast as the gap would allow burning fuel by them. J-B might give enough time for the rings to takeup some of the gap. Anyways a new motor will be ordered shortly.

Not going to be able to repair. wrist pin bearing failure. Completely blew apart. What could cause this? seems to be lots on oil. It is dripping out of the crank. It doesn't seem dry. When it went I was going about have throttle. Any way not going to try the J-B weld thing on this one. New engine will be ordered. It is a 66cc HT so 100 bucks is better than missing a little bit of bearing to go through it again. Dam I think I would be SOL on a warranty on it. it is about 8 weeks old.

if the gouge is about the size of a wrist pin bearing needle, then you may have solved the question of how it happened

replace the wrist pin bearing on the new engine before even using it

Just got my new engine. I was not sure what to expect from a 66cc GT5. I had a GT5A. So far I like what it is doing. Straight out of the box it looked far superior to the GT5a. It was done up nice in black. All the bolts where replaced with Grade 5 Allen heads. After installing it I gave it a little oil down the spark plug hole and rolled it over for abit. Let it sit for an hour and started it up. I must say what a sound thing makes. I love it. No bogging it just wants to go. Hard to just putt putt around. Oh well after this weekend of riding it should be almost broke in. I am going to stay a half throttle to break it in. All seems to good to be true. Maybe I just a got bad GT5A for my first engine.

Back