Have I been connedon my HS\Hoot kit?

John,

I have the very same hoot gb - I am using marine gear oil and seems to work well have mixed 50/50 with stop leak - my gb also had no gasket but the stop leak seems to do the trick.
Hope this helps
Zeds

Whats the full name of the marine gear oil and the stop leak Zeds. What quantity of 50/50 do you put in & how do you get it in through that tiny hole?

Thanks Cruiser but dealing firstly with the angle cut gears they aren't as angled as the Grubee. I thought angled meant teeth not at right angles to the gear wheel but it refers to angle on the edge of the teeth I take it.
The wood method won't work cos I could only get lollypop sticks in there because it is recessed in the casing so deeply. hey, I could take the casing off and get in under with my 3 jawed gear pullers which are still in the shop waiting for me to find them. Yes, wouldn't that be the way?
Now for my last problem. One of the clutch sections moves about and isn't held by a spring. I think the spring slipped off in one area when I was smacking the daylights out of it with my impact screwdriver. I had no choice with that, nothing else would have worked. What size sprocket have you got Cruiser? It's annoying that the gear wheel is held on the shaft with a flat screw bolt. I think I'll try and replace it with a hex head bolt for ease of maintenance. Thank God for guys like you lot at MBc. I'd be in an asylum without your help. There's NO substitute for time-served experience available on this forum.

Hi Irish John,

The replacement Hoot has helical gears. The vendors call them angle cut because the teeth are not cut parallel to the gear axis but at an angle to the axis. The advantages are explained here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear#Helical_gears
My old GB does have a gasket (paper thin) and I do not use any stop leak. I do not know how compatible the stop leak is with the action of the clutch. My clutch bell is held on with an allen or capscrew which is desirable. I have replaced all the GB screws with this type. Take the gear box case off and you might be able to use small wood wedges (shape them like doorstops) to get behind the clutch. My replacement GB does not have gaskets so I will be using Permatex High-temp red RTV silicone gasket maker before installing it. Once you remove the clutch, you should be able to reseat the spring without too much trouble - the spring is pretty strong. I use a 36T sprocket which is good for about 31 mph tops with 25 mph cruising. It's a nice all around gear which allows me to start with little or no pedaling and I can negotiate the hills in my area with no assist. A 32T should allow a 35 mph top with a 30 mph cruise with limited hill climbing ability.

White power stuff.

I have seen electric motor actuators (for valves) completely trashed inside a sealed aluminum case. Condensation did the deed. The case would hit 140 - 160 degrees F ( 40 - 71 degrees C) in the Sun during the day and cool to maybe 80 (27 degrees C) at night. The cooling internal air would contract and suck in moisture which condensed on the cold (for Arizona) case and the aluminum would break down into oxide. Also have seen the same thing happen on a golf course where the electric valves were in a underground valve vault and a constant 100% humidity or close to it. We finally solved the problem by installing small wattage heaters inside which kept the case dry. I have a feeling that the "vent" for the engagement clutch on the GruBee will serve as an escape for the moisture collected when the bike cools?

Jim

Back