Noob already becoming OCD from this forum!

Great info and perspective, cannot thank you enough. I am leaning away from friction as it rains 6 months of the year here, and since its country living, that means slop. I havent seen another post yet that logically lays out the drawbacks on a CVT, so that is much appreciated! I definitely need to dig into that issue a bit more, but seeing as a CVT seems like a lux item, i dont think it will break my heart to give it up. LOL< you think its time to move this discussion into another forum?

My advice is, ride all the bicycles you can. Cruiser bikes make the best motorbikes, the coaster brake can be fitted with a clamshell hub,
resulting in a safe, smooth running bike. Caliper brakes, and a combo lever are a huge plus, all 3 brakes can be deployed, and clutch squeezed in. Speed is limited by road surface. Mountain Bikes are shorter wheelbased, can be twitchy at speed. Don't use knobby tires, the vibration will numb your hands.

Your build skills would determine what's the best setup,
a frame mount requires some metalworking skill to get the
motor mounts, and chain tensioner safely mounted. A local
muffler shop may help with welding, they usually have torches,
and a MIG full of small wire.

If your a ' nut ' for detail [ like me ] figure on a quick build
to test the concept, than a second build to refine it. Paint is
another story, my last build took a couple months to paint.

Cost ? The more ' you ' the more $ Good luck

Thanks for the input - great info on mountain bike drawback - you folks are great for a getting me up to speed on my education (all puns intended) - caliper and not drum - interesting - why? As for tires, am i correct in thinking fat tires might ad to a comfy ride? And am i also correct that a 24" tire is going to produce a bike that has a lower standover height but is less efficient to move? BTW, can you switch out tire sizes or are the frames made for only one or the other? And is there such a think as an aluminum frame than can survive a pounding?

As for a cruiser - I guess i could ad suspension forks on the front - also to smooth out some of the bumps, correct? And I am a nut, like you, trust me on that one ;-)
As with designing a boat, I am thinking frame decisions first much like hull decisions first: but i need to understand all the factors in a big picture kind of way before settling on the frame choice.

Let me ad a few details of how i see this bike being used: 14mi round trip to work on Highway one, along the mendo coast: so plenty of hills, dry for six months, wet for six months, and wet includes leaves, mud, pine needles and road kill avoidance maneuvers: The long driveway is gravel, most friends driveways are dirt. Remember ...I'm SHORT.

What do we think about a hybrid gas/electric - using the electric to occasionally kick in some extra torque ( i know, the weight might mitigate some of the benefit). Now I am not a "survivalist" but a very tiny tiny tiny corner of my brains says that having three forms of power: pedal/gas/electric, might have some benefit when the end of the world comes, and besides I love the image of me as a stealthy (quiet) ninja jane bond as well :::sly smile:::....but i digress, and if i tell you too much about me, I'd have to kill you - and there a a lot of "you's" on this forum!

A 24" would not be less efficient to operate,its just that you get less distance travel per diamiter of tire. Just need to chang grears for same seep as 26" There a lot of guys running 24" tires and if you are short and feal better with them buy all means use them. Its your bike build it the way you want, like said build the patern first then refine it or build the second one. I would forget about the electric part untill you have a finial plan or build,also friction drive is not the best in wet conditions the rollor loses traction.............Curt

Thanks curt, am happy to gain a little knowledge about tire size and effect - and I already know I am not going with a friction set up! Am going into the big city today (Santa Rosa) to eye up some bikes, get a feel for height, frame strength and geometry etc. Woohoo, an outing!