Star Fire Gen II and Gen II-A availability

JoelC707

Local time
2:06 AM
Well I have some bad news for everyone. I just found out today that the EPA has decided to screw around with the NTJL factory and deny the 2009 EPA certificate for the Gen II and Gen II-A motors on some category technicality. They want an ungodly amount of money to "attempt" a renewal. Don says to not expect any Gen II or Gen II-A motor shipments from China this year. Unfortunately this means whatever stock us dealers have IS IT. Expect "Supply and Demand" to kick in hard as soon as dealers realize they can't reorder for a year. The GT4 and entire Skyhawk line still have their EPA certificate and can be imported though.

Joel

Problem is that if the EPA can do it for the NTJL engines, they can do it for the YD engines too. (or all bicycle engines seeking compliance certificates) It might be in Don's best interest to clear up the problems once and for all. This is very disappointing because the Gen II/IIa engines just became available here. At least (for now) there are other Grubee 2 strokes available.

Yes I agree. I have a feeling the people at the EPA are just being a**holes (like anyone else that works for the government, it comes with the job lol). But you're right they could easily do the same to the other factories. The other factories might still try and send them through though. I got a call a few months ago from a powerking dealer in Florida that wanted to know how I got my motors through customs. His had been held up because they still has the chrome, non-catalytic mufflers in the kit. Now the customs authority owns that shipment and both he and the factory are out money.

I just looked on the EPA website, and on the excel spreadsheet dated 3/2/2009 I see two engines from NTJL being listed as compliant.

I also see bicycle engines from YD, PYX, Jiangdu Flying Horse (RAW engines?), and Rico group.

So it looks like NTJL is on the 2009 list, can they really take away a certificate they already issued?

I'm not sure, I don't think they can. But the GT4 and all of the Skyhawk brand is still EPA approved. Those might be the two NTJL motors listed. Got a link to this spreadsheet, it sounds interesting to look over.

Also - FWIW, the Gen II engines I got were StarFire branded.

Found it!

8NTGS.066F47 is the number on my Gen II engines, it is listed in that excel spreadsheet. Confusing...

Last edited:
HUMMMM well.... as far as I know the only engine affected is the 49cc the other two are fine with epa it was a misshaps on the paper work they were filed under hand held not off road and 12000RMB is only like 4k usd but its a chance to be taken. My question is who are you? I dont mean that in a nasty way I just see 7 post and vendor.

look at his intro Jeremy
joel from tucson (I think usa bike?)
very cool guy to converse with (his dad, Bill too)

Back