Switchblade build or fools errand?

PsychDoc

Local time
11:16 AM
So here I sit- out of bourbon- curing my new pizza oven- mothier in law in the hospital (that’s a bad thing) questioning life choices- dreaming of my next bike build-

What would you pay for a Nirve switchblade?

I’m mildly obsessed with the switchblade design. Is there a better looking bike? I think not- but willing to learn. I was raised on a Honda xr75 so 2 strokes were what the crazy cousins rode. Smokey stinky things. And what’s with the chainsaw tone? Not for me... I agree a ‘pull start’ is lame as can be, but the smooth running economy of a 4-Stroke is hard to beat. And I imagine I can get a nice throaty rumble from a ?? Honda gc 160?. I don’t mind mind spending a couple bucks- I have lost money on a fundraiser.

W h er e am I...

I don't know might be just me but I've always though one of these would make a great base for a four stroke to utilize the jackshaft as pictured here with a freewheel,add a caliper bracket to front forks and a 26" disc wheel and you've got a sick ride with very little work.

Wall art! Seems more like a toy then a practical rider, just my 2c. Good lookin ride all dolled up though. Think of the riding position riding for 3 hours. Will you be content?

Street- I have no idea what that is. It’s not really grabbing my eye

Darwin- are you saying the switchblade is wall art? And I can’t imagine where I would be going for 3 hours.

I am going to look at one today- pedal it around and see how it feels. It may be pretty but feel lousy- we shall see.

But how much to pay- let’s say good to excellent condition with the 3 speed hub and front disc brake. $300?

So here I sit- out of bourbon- curing my new pizza oven- mothier in law in the hospital (that’s a bad thing) questioning life choices- dreaming of my next bike build-

What would you pay for a Nirve switchblade?

I’m mildly obsessed with the switchblade design. Is there a better looking bike? I think not- but willing to learn. I was raised on a Honda xr75 so 2 strokes were what the crazy cousins rode. Smokey stinky things. And what’s with the chainsaw tone? Not for me... I agree a ‘pull start’ is lame as can be, but the smooth running economy of a 4-Stroke is hard to beat. And I imagine I can get a nice throaty rumble from a ?? Honda gc 160?. I don’t mind mind spending a couple bucks- I have lost money on a fundraiser.

W h er e am I...

Well, Doc.., maybe take a step back. First, solve that bourbon shortage. If it happens that bourbon is related to your other mention of questioned life choices.., well.., then maybe replenishment isn’t such a good idea... 🤣

🤨

But how much to pay? For the bike not bourbon 🥃

Well, Doc, I’d think they’re both a matter of taste (and funding, of course). Where my cut-off for bourbon would have been nothing under $60/L (or $75+/L for scotch), I’m entirely unable to attach a value of a bike to volume or weight — get me started on either, and money just seems to leak everywhere. 🤣

However.., excellent-to-new condition seems to be somewhere around $600. Used/good condition appears to average around that $250-$300 area, and that’s if someone just wants it. Keep in mind, it’s a hardtail and the saddle sits low and very near the rear transfer of energy, so it could be a fatiguing ride, at any distance. The forks and rake are to be considered, when adding powerplant/drive weight and potential vibrations, so you’re gonna be looking at some upgrades even before finding a good heart for it. That in mind, I (personally) wouldn’t burn $300 on a platform of which I’d likely only retain two-thirds. Jus’ thinkin’...

Very well. That’s the amount I have been seeing, I was hoping someone here had the inside line. I realize that when a question is not clearly answerable one can not expect precision responses . I do thank you all for avoiding “it’s worth whatever someone is willing to pay”

Now then- if my passions continue- I will build my (current) dream. And it was to be a 4 stroke I’m thinking. So do it create a build thread or stay here.

Very well. That’s the amount I have been seeing, I was hoping someone here had the inside line. I realize that when a question is not clearly answerable one can not expect precision responses . I do thank you all for avoiding “it’s worth whatever someone is willing to pay”

Now then- if my passions continue- I will build my (current) dream. And it was to be a 4 stroke I’m thinking. So do it create a build thread or stay here.

Scattered, short threads can be a little tough to find, and maybe a little irritating for Admins, ‘cause they die quickly and just sit there to rot. However, 30-40page threads can also be tough to recall specific information from, and they sometimes suffer tangential hijacks before getting back on-topic. 🤣

I’d think for an actual build, to chronicle in a single thread (with the pics) would be great and easier to follow. For the occasional question or mechanical issue, it appears unfortunate that the search tool isn’t used as frequently as it was intended. I do find it useful, though, to enable the “follow” function for Members working on stuff that is relevant and interesting, or whose knowledge I’ve found greatly helpful (and there are several👍).

Your call, obviously, but I’d think a build could be of it’s own thread, and for the life of that project/machine. If that were comparable to the bourbon or scotch reference, that thread should age and refine at least twelve years. 😎

So... I should definitely start a build thread unless I don’t in which case I continue here save for the occasional technical question for which I need to hijack a different thread that has rotted into history. Check!

I do find the search function very usable

The bourbon crisis has been resolved

Wear sunscreen

Back