Unfair to compare rear mount to ht engines from china

I'll settle this debate once and for all. Rack mounts are for those of us who have evolved with the times and take pleasure in riding. HTs are for those who look at some thing and scratch their heads trying to figure out, How Does It Go? Rack mount people drink Sam Adams beer while HTs drink PBR. Rack mount people use an air compressor to air up their tires, HTs use their lips. Well those are just a few examples etc..........

Dude,Who P!ssed In your cheerios? This Is not a debate.And there Is no reason to act like a 5 year old child and making smart arse remarks.No matter what we ride.We are all brothers of the motored bike.And If you think rack mounts are going with the times.I got a news flash.Rack mounts go back Into the early 60's and maybe further.And motored bikes go back 120 years.Like I said.The old stuff Is better than the new junk out.And For you to be bashing on people shows me you have bipolar Issues being no one personally attacked you.I would like you to not post In here no more please being you are absolutely negative and have a serious hatred of people who are different from you.I tried to compliment your choice and respect your opinion Even If we do not agree.And you just turn bipolar on me.To avoid drama I am putting you on my Ignore list and My advice to people In this thread Is to Do the same being you are absolutely mental.And your 2 stroke Is based on old technology.So much for your going with times. O.K. I overreacted and take back what I said.

Last edited:
And what's wrong with pbr?Decent price and better tasting than sam adams.Not to mention older than budweiser Itself.Kinda sad when someone Is put down over their food or drink of choice.Congrats darwin.You are the first to make my Ignore list:D

Last edited:
Plinko sorry if I hurt your feelings, it was meant to be humorous.

Plinko sorry if I hurt your feelings, it was meant to be humorous.

All good dude.I should have known It was In jest.Just got off work yesterday and was kinda grumpy.Sorry for overreacting.Just had some bad luck with kits and a rack mount with entire kit Is out of my budget.Only reason I can't do a rack mount Is because I use a trailer when I travel and The rack mount prohibits this.And not being able to find a frame mount with decent motor quality like a rack mount Has got me frustrated and leaves me to having to haul around 2 rebuild kits being I travel very long distances.Maybe I can find a way to get a tanaka or honda rear mount and somehow find a way to frame It In the center for my style of riding.Did not mean to overreact darwin and I apologize for doing so.Just really been worked to death and having to deal with Issues with h.t. motors.But,Pabst blue ribbon Is awesome beer.Just like sam adams.I drink pabst with dinner or working on a bike.And do sam adams when I am at the bar.

Hey plinko, check out the very bottom, left corner, of Dax's web site.
It is a different kind of *almost* in frame kit that uses a shift kit.
Just trying to give you different ideas here.
http://thatsdax.com/

Hey plinko, check out the very bottom, left corner, of Dax's web site.
It is a different kind of *almost* in frame kit that uses a shift kit.
Just trying to give you different ideas here.
http://thatsdax.com/

I'll have to check this out Gear Nut.He's even got a In frame kit with the titan.

Its completely fair to compare them. People are spending money and many will only buy 1 kit and decide weather they will stay with this hobby/transportation culture or dislike it. If someone buys a happytime for $150 and it craps out after 1000 miles or less, they may consider it a bad purchase or have buyers remorse, wishing for a roller drive and a good weeder engine.

I like my Grubee, but I think the avg person would have hocked it in a garage sale after half the trouble I had with jumping chains and a now dead engine from a busted ring.

For $150 (www.bikemotorparts.com) and about $150 again including shipping (www.monsterscooterparts.com) you can have a good rack drive system with quick release skewer to engage/disengage the system, and a powerful 52cc 2x motor that bolts up with 4 allen head bolts.

Its completely fair to compare them. People are spending money and many will only buy 1 kit and decide weather they will stay with this hobby/transportation culture or dislike it. If someone buys a happytime for $150 and it craps out after 1000 miles or less, they may consider it a bad purchase or have buyers remorse, wishing for a roller drive and a good weeder engine.

I like my Grubee, but I think the avg person would have hocked it in a garage sale after half the trouble I had with jumping chains and a now dead engine from a busted ring.

For $150 (www.bikemotorparts.com) and about $150 again including shipping (www.monsterscooterparts.com) you can have a good rack drive system with quick release skewer to engage/disengage the system, and a powerful 52cc 2x motor that bolts up with 4 allen head bolts.

What I meant by comparison Is get a morini or ezm quality frame mount and then do comparisons.Comparing a 150 buck h.t. to a 600 buck gebe kit Is not a fair comparison obviously.It's like comparing a crude design motor with questionable quality obvious from the get go to a top notch outfit.It does not take a ph.d to know the rear mount engines are superior In terms of reliability.All I am saying Is compare something frame mounted to a quality rear mount or even a modified and rebuilt china girl with machined parts then make comparisons.Comparing a stock gt to a 600 to 1000 rear mount Is like comparing mike tyson against pee wee herman or bruce lee to gary coleman In a fistfight.(God bless you Gary we miss you.)Like I said earlier.It's mostly due to manufacturing and cost technique.Get a grubee 4 stroke china girl and compare It to a gebe outfit.And It'll lose everytime cuz the quality Is from china with cheap metals and no quality assurance.In about 1 to 2 months I will have my morini 6 horse motor on a frame and I will challenge anybody to reliability Issues.2 or 4 stroke.Matter of fact I plan on proving It by riding across from virginia beach to alaska just to show reliability from a 2 stroke or 4 stroke can be done frame mounted.I understand your point but we are looking at this from different views.My view Is It's unfair to have a cheap china knock off against a top line outfit not offered for frame mounts because staton and gebe are against doing frame mounts and only make rack mounts.And for the record I do not hate frame mounts.They ugly as p!ss.But I do have a motor from a rear mount I turned Into a small generator.I do like your points. but that kit you recommend for 150 bucks I doubt will be worth anything and If It's a china made kit.It's sh!t just like my h.t.I seen that kit you are talking about.It's an off brand piece of junk.If I was gonna do a rear mount or frame mount after all the he!! I been through with 1 prior engine messing up prematurely.I would opt to save up and buy a kit of no less than 300 to 600 buck value.You get what you pay for Is true In most cases.Thank you for posting and I wish you a nice weekend.

Last edited:
No disrespect Intended happycheapskate.I seen the bmp kit.And It's 149 just for the drive.Says you gotta get the engine separately.Let's say 300 for engine plus shipping on both of these components.And that makes 500 to 600 bucks give or take a few bucks depending on engine and shipping price.And I would find It weird to have a 10 to 15 pound motor hanging off the left side of the roller which looks prone to slipping In damp weather and prone to wearing out tires.Think If I did a rear mount I would go with a chain drive or belt drive and spend 500 to 800 for a staton or gebe and get something worth my time.Since I am mechanically Inclined and am determined to make a frame mount.I will stick to my frame mounts.

(Since people are all edgy and mean these days, and you can't see me smiling, I post in the same tone as a couple of friends arguing playfully over their favorite pickup brand, or their favorite football team. Ok, not that mean. ;-)

How did $300 for these parts shipped separately go to $600? Do you work for the Obama Menstruation?

$150 shipped for the BMP roller, and $150 shipped for a china 2x engine (basically the Harbor freight motor).

A lot of people are getting wise that the Happytimes are go kart motors and generally more of a PITA.

You don't like it, but its still a fair comparison. Both are entry level bike motor products, and it sounds like you are just unhappy. The BMP is US stuff, and the Harbor Freight china motor sure has lots of fans, including millions of yard auger users. The 52cc engine with the 1.25 roller is known to push an avg rider on a beach bike 35mph even on break in. I'd say they are "getting what they paid for".

But if I'd suggested a $400 engine that wasn't "junk like your happytime", you'd say it wasn't a fair comparison. What is the point of this thread other than *****ing and moaning.

If you don't sell happytime box kits, why do you even compare if people compare a roller drive kit to a HT?

I'm still bothering with HT's because they are fun when they are running, and cheap enough to still bother with. But I wish I had just bought the BMP and a good 50cc right off, because I'd trust that to drive 50miles from home. I don't trust this HT farther than I can get someone to come and get me. I'm fixing to order the bMP and the auger motor. I think I will have a lot of fun not worrying about chains jamming or frames cracking, and that motor is only about 6.5 pounds. A lot of people on pedal bikes carry panniers on one side that weigh more than that, easily, like a bag of groceries.

Last edited:
Back