want a GPS that gives navigation on cycle paths. (not freeways for cars lol) help????

joshua97

Local time
2:45 PM
Hi i have a Tom Tom Start 10 GPS. I use it on my motorised bike almost everyday. The issue is that it always wants me to go on the freeways rather than the regular streets. And for obvious reason its not an option. Can anyone help me with an update or map change for my gps to set it to cycle paths? or a new gps that can do this? Im in perth Western Australia? thanks plz help.

According to top tom

Search and click on your destination

Click Directions

Then there are four options right under the origin and destination: Car, Bus, Bike and Walking.

Make your selection and click the blue arrow.

Thanks, however on mine, i turn it on, press plan route, press address, type it in, and press wait for live connection. then i press start. theres no "directions" button :( looks like i have to buy a new gps
:p

Many smart phones have bicycle apps on them. You can also get a chargeable 12 volt lithium battery pack as well to put on your bike.

The newer tom toms have the different path settings. I would recommend trying to update it, I think you can connect the cable to try and connect and update the firmware. Or you might have to send it in. Thats one way to save yourself some money from buying a new one.

I don't have any experience with the bike Route Planners of most GPS systems except for Google Maps. Using that, the suggested routes are interesting - but usually not the best for a bike (either HP, ICE or e). The little shortcuts are missing (going through a traffic separator, for example), sidewalk routes are missing, and suggested roads are wrong from a traffic standpoint. Then again, this is not a well-biked town (Kansas City KS & MO metro*), and in other areas, the software may have had the benefit of human refinement.

*On a typical road here, fewer than one in a thousand vehicles has peddles. And in many places, you can go all day without seeing a bike.

Thanks so much guys, i have an iPhone 4 and i can use the google maps application as that has a bike option but i hate using that on long rides as per hight data charges. the gps is a tom tom start 10 ( the smaller and cheapest one) i emailed tom tom but no reply of course haha. I also had a look at a bike stores who sell bike path gps - perfect but they cost $450+ so I'm lost atm haha,

Back