Chains 2 stroke chain popping off

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard about Coca Cola being used to open drains, but rust removal? Yow! Don't think i need to be drinking something akin to muriatic acid!

I've heard about Coca Cola being used to open drains, but rust removal? Yow! Don't think i need to be drinking something akin to muriatic acid!

I found out by shear accident, I had a small plastic container full of rusty bolts and nuts, a on a table above the container a can of coke got knocked over filling up the container .
I didn't find the container full of coke until the next morning ,so I washed off the nuts and bolts, by my surprise most of the rust was gone from the nuts and bolts I could not believe it I knew it would remove battery acid but rust try it works great and it's 1 of the cheapest rust remover around.
Don't leave it in there to long after 2-3 days I have know it to eat through the metal itself.

One question Fabian? The reason I single you out, is because you've spent a good while pulling a trailor. So, do you think a strong bike would pull a trailor without much problem with a smaller 410?

Hope all is well

Glen

My jackshaft and final drive chains are both 9 speed chains, which is a good deal smaller than 415 or 410.

In almost 45,000 kilometers of riding, i have never had a chain tear itself in half, be it 9 speed, 8 speed, 410 or 415, and from experience; having found that the cheapest chains last almost as long as expensive items if lubricated regularly, hence i purchase the lowest cost chains i can find; throwing them over my shoulder when they reach 80% stretch.

With bicycle chains, you are mostly paying an increased cost for weight reduction and corrosion resistance, rather than higher tensile strength.

I got to say I agree with Fabian I have purchased the cheapest chain to the most expensive chains and as far durability I can tell little to no difference in the chains so I now buy the cheaper chains myself.

I have 2 stroke with a 410 I pull my trailer with it pulls it fine even with a lot of weight.
I also have a 4 stroke with a 415 and other then the 4 stroke pulls the trailer a little easier there's no difference.

I have even had to pull the trailer home from time to time, with around 50-70 pounds in it, by peddling and again the regular 7 speed bicycle chain that came on the bicycle worked fine

My jackshaft and final drive chains are both 9 speed chains, which is a good deal smaller than 415 or 410.

In almost 45,000 kilometers of riding, i have never had a chain tear itself in half, be it 9 speed, 8 speed, 410 or 415, and from experience; having found that the cheapest chains last almost as long as expensive items if lubricated regularly, hence i purchase the lowest cost chains i can find; throwing them over my shoulder when they reach 80% stretch.

With bicycle chains, you are mostly paying an increased cost for weight reduction and corrosion resistance, rather than higher tensile strength.

Can't say I agree about cheap chains. I say this mainly from my experience with chain saws and bicycles. Cheap chains s.t.r.e....t.c.h. WAY too much, too soon. On a couple of my saws, the cheap, China chains stretched so much I could not even take up the slack with the bar adjustment.

The only time I have had a chain actually break, however, was because I did not oil it well enough and got it too hot, and then it snagged. (One of my saws has a manual oiler.)

I find the best deals on quality chains for various other machines is to buy them at ag supply places by the foot. That way, you get top quality AND save money. Best of both worlds. 'Course, I live in a farm town, so it's easy to find them around here. Still, you can find #43 (410) and #41 (415) [EDIT: that's wrong, 415 is #42. See below.] chain by the foot online really easy. Get twenty feet, and then never worry again 'cause you'll have spare chain for a long time.

Last edited:
I have previously purchased KMC 9 speed chain in a bulk buy for $9 online and KMC 8 speed chain in a bulk buy for $7 online, usually selling for around $30 and $40 respectively in bicycle shops in Australia.

Typically i get around 700 kilometers out of a jackshaft chain and around 1000 kilometers out a final drive chain on my bike. I have tried top of the line Wipperman (9 speed) stainless steel chain, purchased for $50 online, and selling for around $150 in the bicycle shops but it only lasted 1,200 kilometers as a final drive chain.

The expensive stuff just didn't work out to be cost effective, only lasting an extra 20% over the cheapest well known "brand name" chain, yet being 500 - 600% more expensive than the low cost item.

Name brand v off brand chains Is the same argument with disposable batteries(AA/AAA's and so on) yes the name brand last longer but cost 3-4 times as much do they last 3-4 times as long no, so in the long run the cheap disposable batteries are the better buy.

Same with the chains yes the name brand chain last longer, but they cost 2-3 times as much, and do not last 2-3 times as long no maybe 20-30% longer

I have previously purchased KMC 9 speed chain in a bulk buy for $9 online and KMC 8 speed chain in a bulk buy for $7 online, usually selling for around $30 and $40 respectively in bicycle shops in Australia.

Typically i get around 700 kilometers out of a jackshaft chain and around 1000 kilometers out a final drive chain on my bike. I have tried top of the line Wipperman (9 speed) stainless steel chain, purchased for $50 online, and selling for around $150 in the bicycle shops but it only lasted 1,200 kilometers as a final drive chain.

The expensive stuff just didn't work out to be cost effective, only lasting an extra 20% over the cheapest well known "brand name" chain, yet being 500 - 600% more expensive than the low cost item.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back