Sprockets 36T sprocket and heavy riders

I'd like to echo blackmikey "you DO NOT want to go over 40mph on one of these bikes" How afraid you are is irrelevant. It's what your mom has to look at when she identifies your faceless body that matters.

A motoredbike is a very different animal than a regular bike. There are handling issues caused by the extra weight and center of gravity difference. A motored bike is not a bike (nor is it a motorcycle) and should never be confused with either. The stopping distance for instance is much longer on a motored bike (a lot longer than a car in fact).

Please forgive me for being preachy. I mean no offense. As I work in nursing I get to take care of a lot of young people who also were "not afraid".

just my 2cents,

norm

You should have read the whole thread before posting. I already stated several times that I decided against the 36T sprocket. After alot of thought, I decided I would rather cruise at 20-25 mph. Not 30-40. Whenever I coast 30+ mph down a hill, I am always thinking, "What would happen if the chain came off and the back wheel locked up?" It is a scary thought.

If I was in the medical industry, I'm sure I wouldn't ride at all! :)

I was driving on I95 yesterday...had to go to Miami....I'm doing about 80mph, and I look in the rear view, and see this idiot on a big bike, weaving in and out across 3 lanes of busy traffic all doing 65-85....he's wearing a t-shirt, gym shorts, open-toed sandals, and of course no helmet.

Of course I said "Look at this a-hole!", and my son (11yrs. old) couldn't believe he was riding like that (crazy, all over the place)...then he noticed no helmet, and compared to the fact that I *do* wear one, and travel 100 times slower...I then told him "You know why Darwin makes sense now?" (He's very gifted and reads everything, so we can talk like this)...he said "Yep, gets the bad genes out of the species...he's going to be one of the stupid ones removed". 'nuff said.

Don't be a statistic! Ride smart, and make sure what you ride is built for HOW you want to ride. And please, wear some closed toe shoes and a helmet. Feet, toes, limbs come off pretty easily at high speed...we're just soft flesh, even though you might be "muscular" you have no chance against "pavement".

Done, stepping off the stage now. :)

You should have read the whole thread before posting. I already stated several times that I decided against the 36T sprocket. After alot of thought, I decided I would rather cruise at 20-25 mph. Not 30-40. Whenever I coast 30+ mph down a hill, I am always thinking, "What would happen if the chain came off and the back wheel locked up?" It is a scary thought.

You're right josh, I didn't read the whole thread carefully and I'm sorry for unloading on you! I apologize.

I have to admit, I get real nervous when I read about people tricking up their motor to achieve higher speed. I flew off the handle a little and I'm sorry for belittling you. I should have chosen another board and started my own thread that didn't point at anyone specific.

I hope you can accept my apology,

norm

Josh - we're not hammering on you, buddy...just the opposite, we want you to have a good time, and be safe, that's all.

I saw your post, but didn't mention it either. No offense intended.

I have some killer hills out here and I tackled one today going to Flatirons mall (Craigslist says they have a vintage bicycle sale going on there. I took some pictures).
At times I do wish I can get a 48 or 50 tooth but then I thought how I wouldn't have to pedal at all going up a hill with gearing like that.
I like my 44 for I can actually get some excersise helping my engine along pedaling up those hills. My pedal side is definitely geared right. 44/16 keeps up rather well with engine.
Then there's the gas savings I would lose if I go up in teeth.
And if you're heavy,going down in teeth will save gas as long as you're not tackling hills or your willing to do most of the pedaling,cause without your help,that's murder on your clutch,Manual or Centrifugal.

You're right josh, I didn't read the whole thread carefully and I'm sorry for unloading on you! I apologize.

I have to admit, I get real nervous when I read about people tricking up their motor to achieve higher speed. I flew off the handle a little and I'm sorry for belittling you. I should have chosen another board and started my own thread that didn't point at anyone specific.

I hope you can accept my apology,

norm

No problem. I noticed that lately a few people have been preaching to me about my old post. I am not angry about it. I am just trying to say that I already understand the danger in building a high speed bicycle. So, I decided not to do it. No need to try to talk me out of it. I talked myself out of it.

The power required to overcome wind resistance goes up with the third power of speed,that is a 15 % increase in speed requires a 50% !!! increase in power,a 26% speed increase requires TWICE as much power.So to go from 35 to 44 mph takes twice the power,which is not in the cards,The rolling resistance prob accounts for 10-15 % at these speeds.

but by this logic going 10 mph takes 4 times as much energy as going 5? please explain your math

Back