Sprockets 36T sprocket and heavy riders

I was discussing WIND resistance or more precisely, aerodynamic drag.Total resistance has two components,rolling resistance which is relatively independent of speed and air resistance which goes up with speed squared.Power is "speed times total drag".So the power to overcome air resistance goes up with the THIRD power of velocity while the rolling power goes up proportionally.At higher speeds the wind resistance far predominates the rolling component.

Yup, you and me are on identical rigs. I am also using the schwinn cruiser (single speed). norm
Norm, I've done 2000 kms on the Huangsheng and I haven't put the 56T back on yet. Did 55 kms today with the 48T and it went nicely except on very steep hills. Maybe my speedo is wrong but I saw I was cruising at 43 - 48 km\hr in pelting rain. So I covered 25 kms in 35 minutes
and I'm too wet to work out that average speed. I have the speedo set correctly - I measured the tyre on flat surface and put that measurement into the speedo but I still don't trust it. After my HTexperiencess I have major trust issues!
I wonder what skewering the wheel to the right does to the drive train mechanisms not to mention the whheel & tyre. Maybe I have a slipping clutch but I don't think so. I think I could spot that if I had it.
Norm do you live in a State with real hills or are we talking rolling praries? I'll put the 56T back on cos you've caused me to doubt my previous experience except the clearance problems were real. Help! Has anyone out there got a 52T for sale?
Forgot to mention my Schwinn Alloy 7 has 7 speed Mega range gears but on the fastest gear you still can't pedal at speeds above 25 mph without your legs falling off.

Norm do you live in a State with real hills or are we talking rolling praries? I'll put the 56T back on cos you've caused me to doubt my previous experience except the clearance problems were real. Help! Has anyone out there got a 52T for sale?
Forgot to mention my Schwinn Alloy 7 has 7 speed Mega range gears but on the fastest gear you still can't pedal at speeds above 25 mph without your legs falling off.

-Dear Irish,

I'm sorry you're having a bad experience with your kit. I'm begining to better understand what's happening here. I'll start by answering your questions.
I live in Kansas City, Mo. The hills here are real, but they're not as big as the Ozark mountains. On a scale from 1-10 I'd say they are a five.
When I say "skewing the wheel" I'm talking about a milimeter at most because that's all I need. A flat sprocket would probably work better than the convex/concave ones. There is also a frame spreader that could help. Also make sure your motor is as far left on the mount as possible before you put it in the frame. I have it that way and I have the curved side out.
I wish I had your seven speed.
I think what's going on here is a simple case of expectations and needs being too high.
Let's see If I have this straight. You would like to go over 30mph on a flat but without maxing out the motor,and climb steep inclines without working hard. I think we are probably getting similar performance but your needs and expectations are greater than mine.
It's true I go over 30mph on a flat, the motor is maxed out but I don't mind because I really prefer not to go that fast. 25mph is as fast as I think you should go on one of these bikes.
blah blah blah, in a nut-shell I don't think you're going to get a 50cc kit that does 35mph with room to spare and at the same time climb real hills without working hard. I think that's more range than you can expect from a single speed 50cc kit. You need a transmition to do all that.

but maybe I'm wrong, norm

oh by the way I take it you're in EU or UK, I'm in USA

Last edited:
Norm, 30mph = 48 km\hr which is my max speed under power. I hit higher speeds coasting downhill but I am not a boy racer and speed is not my main aim. i love my bike but wish it went up long hills better. The 7 speed is wasted cos I really only use the 3 top gears unless I want to pedal without the motor.
Today I found that the original US made Schwinn springer forks I've placed a winning bid for on Ebay won't fit my 1 1/8" threaded tube and adaptor kit can't work on a threaded tube. Also the tube is too long for any springer except the new Schwinns which aren't imported here. I want a springer like HougMades and I'd like that saddle of his too. HoughMade is a Kansas man too and his bike seems to perform much like my own except his Honda I think pulls a tad harder and they also rev a bit higher. It's swings and roundabouts Norm and I think I carry quite a lot of weight in my panier bag - lots of tools, oilskins, bottles of ginger pop and stuff so that limits me. Maybe my full length exhaust saps a bit of power but it sounds like a little Ducati or Norton. In places I suppose I like speed - there's stunning roads around me with no traffic and sometimes I like to hang over on certain corners that I can take at speed and try and scrape my knees on the ground and let the whell skip a bit on the bumps - that sort of thing but mostly I ride like a very sensible 57 year old. I know everyone around here and if I was acting the boy racer I would get told about it. Some corners can be nice and hairy at 25 mph. I sometimes ride my Schwinn tandem solo and the back end slides out on corners and also skips on any bump because there's no weight on it. Once you get used to it it is a real scream and I end up laughing my head off as I wind down long meandering hills. Also the back pedals have to be tied up or they hit the road and then you really know about it. By the w/e I'll know whether it's my sprocket size - I suspect I won't be able to hit 30mph with the 56T but I may be surprised. The motor might perform differently with it now that it's run in. We had a Supreme Court ruling here this week that could make us all illegal. The law talks about motorised bikes having an auxillary engine and power output and max 50cc etc but the judge ruled that motors aren't auxillary - that they are primary drives and that the pedal drive chain is the auxillary. It's a bad judgement and we aren't sure what the ramifications will be. My guess is the judgement will be ignored and the judge given early retirement or the law will have to be changed or bikes will have to be licensed. We need to ride very carefully until this is sorted out.
BTW I live in Australia in New South Wales - it was a police state for its first 80 years and in many ways it still is. The NSW police are the world's oldest police force by quite a margin.

Last edited by a moderator:
- it was a police state for its first 80 years and in many ways it still is. The NSW police are the world's oldest police force by quite a margin.

Obviously our lawmakers don't ride motorized bikes! Our libirties are being taken from us daily. I feel extremely lucky to live in Missouri. The motorized bike law here is quite liberal. Stay off the Interstate highways, be at least 16yo, and they the man doesn't trouble you. The police don't even look at me when I pass them.

good luck, norm

Indiana- hills not much of an issue.

I am trying to find the radar speed sign the County drags around to see if my speedo is anywhere near correct, but then again...I'm happy with the speeds i at least think i am getting, so maybe ignorance is bliss.

Yes, I have the Honda- and no governor, but I try not to overrev. I like the 48 tooth fine, but as (at least in my possibly delusional experience) the speed is more than adequate, I am thinking of a 50 just to provide just a hair more low end torque...and that would be a hair. I don't want to raise the 25 mph cruisng rpm too much. I would agree that 25 mph, or thereabouts, is a comfortable cruising speed.

Is it a possibility to have a multiple sprocket shift, for hills/flatland? :oops:

Asking, because I am not a design engineer, but perhaps there are in the membership!

A frame spreader seems like a good idea.

I reckon multiple sprocket shift is not feasible because you'd need a jack shaft to drive on the left hand side and if you connected the chain to a derailleur you'd be asking for trouble cos it would probably pull the freewheel to bits. It is quite feasible though to drive the chain to a 7 speed Shimano internal geared hub but they are very expensive and if you broke it it's not really fixable like the old Sturmey Archer hubs.
You still need a jack shaft though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back