4 stroke timing

WEEDHOPPER420

Local time
10:15 AM
Ok i have a subaru ex17 4 stroke engine thats back fireing out the exhaust so i took off the side plate and head cover to set the timing. I set it as specified (gold links on timing marks on crank and timing gear at tdc) but when i hand rotate the engine 1 rotation from tdc to tdc the gold link has shifted 2 links over . Every rotation is exactly 2 links firther WTF

And also when the motor is assembled the crank shaft moves in and out a bit

Ok i have a subaru ex17 4 stroke engine thats back fireing out the exhaust so i took off the side plate and head cover to set the timing. I set it as specified (gold links on timing marks on crank and timing gear at tdc) but when i hand rotate the engine 1 rotation from tdc to tdc the gold link has shifted 2 links over . Every rotation is exactly 2 links firther WTF
If you keep turning it over will they eventually line back up again? I believe but dont know for sure thats how a 4 stroke works
Only reason I am saying that is I am working on my ford f150 truck motor now and to get the timing marks to line up after you set the timing on the marks it takes a minimum of 150 revolutions to get the timing marks to line up as I set them in the first place. I know thats comparing apple to oranges but it might help

Yes it does have a timing chain
If you keep turning it over will they eventually line back up again? I believe but dont know for sure thats how a 4 stroke works
Only reason I am saying that is I am working on my ford f150 truck motor now and to get the timing marks to line up after you set the timing on the marks it takes a minimum of 150 revolutions to get the timing marks to line up as I set them in the first place. I know thats comparing apple to oranges but it might help
It timing chain could have jumped time...Just a thought.

Only reason I am saying that is I am working on my ford f150 truck motor now and to get the timing marks to line up after you set the timing on the marks it takes a minimum of 150 revolutions to get the timing marks to line up as I set them in the first place. I know thats comparing apple to oranges but it might helit
It does if you rotate it enough and i was thinking the same thing at the time but when i started it up itll fire right up but its backfiring out the exaust pretty much any time i add throttle but idols fine so i know thats a sign of the exaust balve opening at the wrong te so i figured i must be mistaken about the timing

Back