46 H Whizzer restoration

Discussion in 'Whizzer Motorized Bicycles' started by likemyspoiler, Feb 26, 2009.

1. I am in the middle of a restoration of a 1946 H Whizzer. I thought I would start a thread here of the restoration & post pics & info here as the project moves forward. The bike and engine are now disassembled. I will post a picture of the bike the day I brought it home. Very rough!!! The spokes & chain broke as I rolled it to my garage. The cool thing is I am restoring this bike for an older guy that owned this bike from new. He was telling me stories about riding this back in the late 40's. He hasn't had it running since the mid 50's. It has sat in a shed since then on his farm. I think it's pretty cool that he is planning on riding it again even though he is in his 70's. To start with the engine had no compression. It turned out as I thought. After teardown I found the exhaust valve was stuck. Loosened easily with some lube. The rod bearing & wrist pin are both wasted. The bearing race on right side of crank is no longer a pressed fit. Engine components have been sent to David Reese in Ohio for machine work. In the mean time I have began glass beading the frame, tank & misc. items. I will post more as project moves along. I have some more pics in "my photo album" I will post some more pics here later as it is taking forever. Thanks, Dan

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2009

2. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

That is quite the undertaking, and very commendable. Not only for preserving history, but especially for helping the gentleman relive the dream. Good on you!!!
    Please keep us posted as this progresses...
  3. mabman

mabman Member

Yes please do! We like pictures.
  4. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

once up and restored -- would like to see the smile on your friends face !!!

I would think that's from back when the Whizzer's were made from very solid parts ?

ride the motor bike
  5. Vintage Whizzer project

I posted some of the most current pics of the project. The engine is torn down, the crank is being turned down .10, the cylinder is gettting bored .30 over, complete valve job, & right side of crank is being repaired so bearing race will be a pressed fit. Dave Reese has made this part of the project very easy as I will get the jug back already painted black with valves already reinstalled, he will have everthing assembled as far as possible. I will be taking care of the rest of the engine here, but whats left should be pretty easy. (as far as the engine goes) The fuel tank has been glass beaded in the pic, but tank has most of pits & imperfections filled in with glazzing putty. (I don't have a current pic of tank with putty & sanding done) Fame has been mostly blasted, but still a good bit of prep work to do. I would say that prep work is about 90% of a restoration. The fenders have been rolled, body work done & under primer. I have most of the parts needed for project in stock (used & reproduction) some items as you can see in first post, just can't be used as they are rusted to thin, pitted to badly, or just plain weak & worn out. I will be using reproduction chrome wheels, chrome belt cover, chrome echo tube, & I decided to do away with the "H" controlls & employ the later "J" controls. (Twist grip throttle & decompression controlls instead of thumb levers) I also needed items to replace items that where missing such as, coil, coil cover, chain guard, points & points cover just to name a few. I will get into all the parts needed in later posts as they are needed. I also decided to use the Schwinn Knee action fork. The fork that was on the bike wasn't the original one any way. The owner of bike told me the original fork broke on him while riding & he said he went for quite a ride when that happened! They installed the first fork they could get their hands on as it was in the late 40's when it happened. I will continue pics & info as the project moves along. (I think I still may have some other photos of project that I didn't post here,& they are in my photo section if you click on my screen name if you want to look at them.) Thanks, Dan

Attached Files:

6. Quenton Guenther

Quenton Guenther Motored Bikes Sponsor

Hi Dan,

If you need any parts, check with me. I have a fair collection of NOS, & some used parts in outstanding condition.

I just sent a cylinder to Dave to bore for a friend of mine, and spent about an hour talking to him on the phone [one of the great vintage Whizzer guys].

Is the frame a Schwinn DX? Here are pictures of one I restored..

Have fun,

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  7. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

I love these vintage Whizzer threads. It gives me a chance to post pictures of my H motor I'm putting on a Columbia 3Star. My workshop is the shed and it is too cold to work on the project in the winter. As soon as the cold weather breaks I will complete my project. Here are a couple pictures so far. Thank you again Quenton.

Attached Files:

8. Vintage Whizzer project

Nice bike Quenton & thanks for the heads up on parts as I know I'll be needing stuff as I go along. Thats also a nice engine you have RD, but you will like even more when it's mounted on a bike. lol. You will be amazed with the torque compared to an NE. I also posted a pic of a ""H" Whizzer that I restored last year. I didn't do much with the engine, as my focas was mainly on the bike. It was a good solid engine, so I decided to just slap it on for now. It is an early H as the serial number is below 32,000. It even has the real early engine mounts that Whizzer discontinued way back when. I saw in the old parts books that the early engine mounts supercede to the curent style mount. When I first saw the mounts, I actually thought they where home made as I had never saw them before. I almost tossed them until I found out they where the original mounts. Of corse I used them once I found out they where original. It too is a DX frame. I think it's close to a 1936 bike according to the Schwinn books that I have. It even has the cool drop outs with the bolts to adjust the rear wheel. I have all the original parts from bike, but didn't use them, at least not for now due to cost, time, & condition. Stuff like original skip tooth sprocket, painted wheels, & painted fenders. I used Phantom repro. fenders wich turned out to be a big hassell as the rear fender had to be modified to fit the frame. The rear fender didn't fit near as good as I thought. However after I modified it to fit, you couldn't tell & fenders look like they belong. It was a fun bike to restore as It had the Whizzer drive train installed on it back when the engine was new & I found it in an unmolested state. Happy Whizzin, Dan

Attached Files:

9. Actually I was just talking on the phone with Chris & he had told me that the DX frame had a straight bottom bar. I see the DX that Quenton has posted has a straight bottom bar. The bike I am currently restoring and the bike I restored last summer have a curved bottom bar. I had always assumed that they where DX frames, but I think I am about to learn something new. (That happens to me daily with this hobby) I know both frames are Schwinns, actually Bf Goodrich, but what designation are they? Thanks, Dan
  10. Buzz Bomb

Buzz Bomb Member

It's just an observation, and only opinion, but if you are taking the time to restore something, especially for someone so the can relive a memory from childhood, why would you change something that was original to the bike? Yes, the J controls are easier to use, but it's not helping to relive anything. Actually I use H controls and I could upgrade, but keeping it preserves the originality and feel of a vintage Whizzer.
    Ok, the peanut gallery will now step down from the soap box so you can get on with your project....:whistling:
  11. Actually the owner of the bike wanted to change to the J controlls as he thought it would be easier for him to ride. (I kind of have to do what the customer wants) However that's something that is sure easy enough to change at a later time without damaging any of the restoration. Thanks, Dan
  12. Traveler

Traveler Member

I appreciate the photos of the H Engine restoration. They will probably help me out. I am getting ready to restore an H engine myself. I had a Pacemaker with a J engine back in 1958, and it was old then. I was around 15 then, and am looking forward to getting a Whizzer going again after all these years.
  13. I didn't forget about this post & plan to continue post as retoration progresses. Dave Reese just called me last night to let me know machine work is completed & everything went well. I am just about ready to get frame under primer & fenders are already primered. I had to use some filler in fuel tank to cover some pits & very small dents, but overall fuel tank wasn't to bad once it was glass beaded. I will post some more pics soon. I told the owner that I hoped to have it completed by spring. I better get my butt in gear!! Dan
  14. Traveler

Traveler Member

I enjoyed the photos of your H engine. I am working on an H also.
  15. mabman

mabman Member

If threads like this don't give you a good sense of appreciation for Whizzers, nothing will. That green one of Quenton's is about as good as it gets and all the others are right there with it. I doubt I will ever tackle a project like that but it sure is fun to watch others do it and see the end results. I am getting a nice little gallery going here on my computer that I can show the grandkids someday.
  16. Traveler

Traveler Member

Whizzer pictures

How do I post pictures. I am just getting started on my project.

The Whizzer is kind of special to me. Actually when I was a kid, I loved it and hated it at the same time. Now, I love it of course. I had a Pacemaker with a J engine back in 1958. Bought it a couple years before when I was about 14 years old. It was old even then. I moved into a new area called Townview in Dayton Ohio. One day, I was riding the Whizzer down my street and saw a cute girl standing on the sidewalk. I could see she wasn't impressed. I was the geek, and she was the cheerleader. We attended high school together, parted ways and met up again 40 years later. She is now my wife, and of course, complains that I spend too much money on the Whizzer. :)
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  17. Traveler

Traveler Member

Just started on my Whizzer H engine

I finally figured out how to upload a picture. Attached is a couple photos of a stand I made in the woodshop to hold the engine while I clean and inspect the parts. The project involved 1 2x4 piece of lumber and 2 L brackets, one of which I made into a Z bracket for the bottom of the engine. The oil on the cylendar was created during disassembly. Now, on to the serious cleaning.
    A third photo is of a Columbia bike I plan to use. I actually peddled the bike around a bit. Chain was loose, but still made it. I will be working on the bike after finishing the engine.

Attached Files:

18. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

Nice stand. Easy to build too.

19. Quenton Guenther

Quenton Guenther Motored Bikes Sponsor

Hi Travler,

I really like the bike!

Which high school did you attend. I went to Stivers [class of 63]. My aunt & uncle lived in Townview for a while.

Have fun,
  20. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Hi Traveler, I see you have the Columbia "Newsboy Special" with springer fork. That is a great choice for a Whizzer, since the center tube is arched instead of straight as on my '46 Columbia. You'll have more room for the engine installation. Having an arched center tube (and the springer) will likely place it as a mid to late '50-era bike, and they actually made that same frame 'til about 1964 I believe. Is there a serial number on the left rear dropout or underside of the bottom bracket?