6.5hp push trailer....version 1.0

Hey Genz, How is that gearing and tire working out for you? Do you have to adjust the chain often?

Man, everyone is having fun now. I had to put my trailer on hold. Work got so slow, that i had to take back my motor just to pay some bills. Fortunately, im swamped with work now so I can get back on the trailer build soon.

Have you had any problems with the clutch?
Tire works great....gearing has lots of torque.

Not many miles on the chain tension yet....so far so good.
I was looking at making a tensioner for the rear chain with some timing belt bearings I have laying around.

No problems with clutch yet.

Hey Znsane, do you have a write up on how you mounted the sproket on the 15" wheel? I saw the larger wheel at HF with the foam tire but wasn't sure the best way to weld up either the sproket or hub.

SensationPDX built a 49cc trailer last year, and has several videos of it on youtube. His trailer was one of the ones that helped to motivate me on building mine.

Link to his trailer thread: http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=8305&page=1

Also S_beaudry made a very nice two-wheel 6.5HP Briggs & Stratton trailer.

A few things to mention here...

Thanks for the props ZN about my push trailer!

I agree as well, we DO NEED our own "push trailer forum" on here. There is already more then enough builds and info on this subject, and let alone how much MORE interest it would raise seeing the subject on the front page here.

And I am proud to say that my SECOND push trailer is being built right now as I type this. I learned from my first trailer and am carrying over all those thoughts to my new one here now. Lots more info and pics on this build to come in a new post though.

I am knid of thinking that a push trailer with suspension with not be fully useable or viable.

Yes, my last push trailer weighed in just shy of 90 pounds, but I am thinking that it would still have a tendency to bounce and not use the suspension system to it's full capability.

On my first push trailer, with turning my head and watching it over bumpy roads, it did seem to stick to the ground very well. the engine was about a good 12 inches or so from the center of the axle.

On my new trailer I am building right now, I have moved the engine and almost have it centered over the axle, I am hoping bringing the weight right above the axle, will keep it to the ground even better.

But.... I would like to see a push trailer with suspension be built by someone!

Where you mount the engine makes no difference as far as hugging the road is concerned .The reason a suspension works that the unsprung weight is large compared to the rest, that is the movable part.This means coming up with some kind of a swing axle and drive the wheel like it is being done in a motorcycle.May be parts of a motor scooter or the whole schmeer could be unearthed in a scrap yard

My trailer is going to have a swing arm axle. As long as the axle pivot point lines up with the jackshaft gear or engine gear then you should be fine with limited travel. Im planning on using a spring from an 86 K5 blazer Hood. It feels like it should have a good enough spring rate for the weight of the 2.5 engine. We'll see. I was thinking a little kiddy rear suspension mountain bike shock might work but i think it might be to stiff. I saw some little hydraulic door and window shocks at the camper and trailer supply stor that would be a good size but the rebound rate is to slow. Maybe a coilover shock spring might be the trick.

These push trailers are going to make us crazy. I can't wait for the first national Meet. I want to be able to do long distance excursions with mine.

Back