A non peddling bike engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
whos machining it? who does the drawings for the machinist? what happens when the first idea doesnt actually work because its fundamentally flawed, the machinist couldnt care less, and it had no tolerancing so machinist did what they felt like and it all needs to be started again?

sure, i got the junk here to do it and i might spend $50 on chains and cables, etc... if i had those bits kicking around, maybe for nothing!

but i also have a mill, a welder, a lathe... rudimentary experience of what can and will go wrong...

yeah, you gotta know what you are doing. lol. i dread even mentioning it to him now.

I think this kid would like to know if the the motor is going allready. Can it take off with out pedalling I don't think he ment take off the pedals and make it a motorbike or ride just like one and can it be started eny way Arthur then the pedals. Like pull start. I don't think he knows enough to know what that starter button is. That's what I got from he's post

ha ha.

kids today... when cars first came out the poor beggars had to get out in the rain, the snow, the hail, the dark... relight the acetylene headlights, figure out how to dry the points and dynamo, fiddle with the ignition advance/retard, then attempt to crankstart an eight litre six cylinder... some vehicles even required a blowtorch to get them started...or a shotgun shell...

now everyone expects an electric start on even 50cc chinese rubbish :)

maybe with smartphone connectivity so you can start it and let it warm up as you ride the elevator down to the garage...

oh well...we all have to learn someday :)

Yea to clarify all of the confusion I'm not looking for a bike to travel around the country or to even go to school. I'm just looking for a bike that I can go on trails with friends. The reason I wanted to know if it was possible to make it work without the peddles was because I thought it would be difficult to always have to peddle when it stalls. Also the reason I said with no peddles was because I wanted to make it the least confusing I could rather say a bike with peddles but you don't need to peddle to make it start. Another thing is I am keeping the peddles on just for the reason of keeping it a bike. Hope this clears everything up and thanks for all the replies. And I understand I don't know what I'm doing that's why I said that. This is the first time I've got the chanse to see/work on an engine myself so I dont want to spend money on stuff that won't fit.

Edit: I already have a 28" bike I was just talking about a bike engine for 150.

Last edited:
ahhhhh....

depends how steep the hills are.

keep the pedals..having some engine assistance is easier than having no engine assistance, even if at some point, youre simply assisting the engine.

standard rear sprocket that suits standard 26" MTB tyres is the 44t, good for most everything under about 30degrees of slope, without resorting to pedaling.

if top speed isnt a concern, but steep hills are... use a 55t rear...(or the 44t on a 20" rim) then you may never have to pedal except on starting the engine. a whole 2 seconds or so. ouch? :p point it down hill and theres no reason to pedal at all!

it will have no issue with taking off from a standstill by itself with that sort of gearing.

but, dont expect any blistering performance... it will go, it will let you have some fun. thats about it...

And if you like to mono get a dirt bike. There's not quite that much power in these things. Like I said you won't be disappointed for $ 150. Get one you can learn so much and have so much fun. And we will help if we can.

yeah, you gotta know what you are doing. lol. i dread even mentioning it to him now.
I don't know why you dread saying somthing that is informative and useful. You spent your time saying something that helped and he said something that just wasted his time and space. And the only way to get good is to learn which is what I'm trying to do.

For 150$ your not going to get more than a China girl engine off eBay and maybe an extra carb but your definitely not going to have a speed demon or something to pack much weight up a hill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back