Adelaide-New legislation coming? /POLICE pulled me over today.

G'day jase: Its good to see you guys using and enjoying your bikes responsibly.

I think that its about time that the benefits of MBs are communicated to the public so that they are not sqeezed off the scene without a fight.
I spoke to Warren Bates at Zbox a few weeks ago and he was reluctanct to make any waves about the issue. However I have had discussions with NSW Roads and Traffic Authority which has carried out a review of power-assisted devices, the results of which have been discussed with the Australian Bicycle Council as recently as November in Hobart. Whatever, the ABC resolved to do has not been posted on the Australian Bicycle Council webpage.

I would like to get an Australia-wide interest group together to see what can be done. It would be great if your group could support it.

Cheers, Greg

Count me in on any action group Greg. You can PM (Private Message) me for my email address.

New Australian legal/regulation/ADR interest group

Count me in on any action group Greg. You can PM (Private Message) me for my email address.
Excellent, John. I suggest that we keep the discussion in the public domain, but sign on to the interest group.

We'll have an on-line forum chat about it on-line Thursday 15-Jan-09 from 9:00 pm Eastern Australia Time and see what comes out of it.

Meanwhile, try and get your head around the information on my website. At the end of the day, we need to come up with a coherent "what's in it for the public" plan to change the status quo.

Cheers, Greg

Just post the URL for where we join up HybiPed cos we can't all be signing petitions with our nicknames that we use on MBc.
See youse on Thurs but I'll not be connecting til about 9.22PM (note how precise I can be when I ride a Honda!) That's why my bike's called the Indian Pacific - she runs all weathers and she runs on time!

Unfortunately, things could change in the US as well. Ref the Indiana law changes which are going to impact us here.

Part of the problem is that you end up with a minority of idiots who push anything to the limits, and in the process, influence the politicos to "tighten up those 'loopholes' in the law." So, they end up screwing things up for everyone.

In Australia, several months ago, a pair of drunks on happy time bikes collided head-on, petrol was spilled and it caught on fire, burning both of them.

While I was visiting friends in southern California (Oceanside) about 6 months ago, a happy time rider was darting in and out of traffic. (speed limit was 35, traffic was going about 20-25, but he was doing 35.) He cut off several drivers while I was watching, including me. he appeared to be heading in the same direction as I was, and about 10 minutes and three miles later, he (at least it looked & acted like the same driver) he blew through a stop sign, and I had to slam on the brakes to avoid wearing him as a hood ornament.

These are the fools who attract the wrong sort of attention, and who will cause the politicians to have the bikes either banned outright, or regulated out of existence.

Last edited:
They are a scourge on society and eventually either some motorist will lose it and attack one of them or they'll kill themselves but either way is bad publicity. The Grafton police were calling around the bike shops after that fireball collision last September. They had worked out that the HTs were way above the power limit. Then in 2006 another idiot from Ballina (near my place)on a HT with booster and racing exhaust hit a pole head on and got a free helicopter ride to Sydney 800 kms away. I'd seen him shortly before in the bike shop and he stank of grog at 09.30AM and was unsteady on his legs.
There's not much we can do about these guys as Jemma from the UK wrote somewhere - the HT engine certainly helps to cashier the idiots out of the gene pool!

Well that makes it 3 incidents involving HT and all 3 smell of grog.
A fireball, M3 freeway snoozer and now another as Irish mentioend, who managed a free helicopter ride cos of a stobie pole collision.

Hypripid has a angle with the environment campaign he's proposing, but I don't think that will now be enough to change the image these drunken sick idiots have caused.

The MB is a nesecary component in the cogs of society for those who need to get about due to economic circumstances and for some who have a level of physical disabilty where walking or riding a bicycle for prolonged periods of time causes agravtion to healing physical injuries.
The MB is also a convenient way to re-habilitate when used as excersise bike, but may further require assistance for the remainder of a journey to and from places.
An MB project/s as shown in the Gallery Forum offers oportunities because skills ARE lacking, trade eductaion IS costly, computer games are boring, Aussie Rules Football is seasonal, anyone can add to the list.

There was six of us in Adelaide, 3 are members of this forum who proved that the MB, DOES "fit in" with society as it is when ridden sensibly. We rode from Adelaide to McLaren Vale and back and no major dramas. We all learnt something on the day and life goes on.

So the numbers stack up to 3 negatives and all 3 grog related.
Hundreds and hundreds of positives with thousands of MB owners currently riding sensibly, the MB IS part of IC engine history as far back as 1900's.
The positives far outweigh the few grog related negatives.

the positives far outweigh the negatives

So the numbers stack up to 3 negatives and all 3 grog related.
Hundreds and hundreds of positives with thousands of MB owners currently riding sensibly, the MB IS part of IC engine history as far back as 1900's.
The positives far outweigh the few grog related negatives.

yes -- Bolts

the positives far outweigh the negatives

and that's the main point to never be forgotten

there will always be some stupid one's no matter what

don't truly think that a slight few will hinder the MB cause

as we know motor bikes are great for many, many reasons

not to forget -- most everyone who see's us riding gives us the thumbs up

as you say Bolt's -- been in the blood since the 1900's

hard to beat that as we ride those motor bike THINGS

yes.

But, while the numbers are FAR in favor of the sane (and sober,) the publicity that the idiots bring down on the rest of us tend to overshadow that. Those morons truly are the kinks in the garden hose of life.

The media rarely reports on positive news. It is always the negative that beings out the reporters.

Sad, but true.

Back