I got pulled over today.

I don't know about CA, or my current home state of IN, but I used to run a used car dealership in Michigan and we occasionally built "assembled" vehicles- that is, vehicles built from a pile of parts. We had to present evidence of where we got the parts (receipts), have it inspected to match the parts to the receipts, then the state would issue us a VIN on a special non-removable sticker to be adhered to the car. Maybe other states have a similar procedure.

Last edited by a moderator:
CA registration

For my registration I used serial number for the bicycle as a "vin" number and pulled the engine serial number off my grubee skyhawk for the engine number. Registration came back with the plate...no problems.

Currently I have an M1 license, a DOT helmet, and a license plate. So far no pull overs here in San Diego.

-J

Taylor,

This is my first post/reply. I am also quite concerned about the possiblity of being pulled over and cited when I start riding my new Whizzer. I've had no problems however with my Charger electric assist bicycle, even on bike trails marked "NO BICYLES WITH MOTORS" Federal Law:SR1156 and H.R. 727 offers the freedom to use an electric bike on public roads and bike trails to people in every state.
What I have done: First I visited our local DMV office and picked up the 2008 California Motorcycle Handbook. I copied the applicable regulations and put them in my wallet.

Quoted excerps: "Motorized Bicycles"
There are two definitions of motorized bicycle (moped)
Vehicle Code 406[a]
. . . .a two or three-wheeled device capable of no more than 30 mph. . .
. . . .fully operative pedals for human propulsion. . . .
. . . .an internal combustion engine producing less than two gross brake
horsepower and an automatic transmission
Vehicle Code 406
. . . .a vehicle with pedals and an electric motor (not more than 1000 watts
which cannot be driven at speeds of more than 20mph on level ground even if
assisted by human power

If you operate a motorized bicycle (electric, sic) which meets the definition of
VC406, you
*must be 16 years of age or older.
*must wear a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet
*are exempt from the motor vehicle financial resposibility, driver license,
and moped plate reqirements

The above is VERY important, because by possible inference (only 406 is
referenced, with no reference to406[a]) should you be operating an
internal combustion engine, you may be required to
meet permit and license reqirements referenced in Section12804.9 of the vehicle
code. Meaning?. . . .a Class M2 license may be required. . . . there is some
vagueness here, i.e., a lack of explitcitness{the term MOPED is used loosely,
refering to both and either/or gasoline or electric;for example: "You may ride a
moped in bicycle lane at a reasonable speed."}

I understand for sure that the
operator will be required to apply for a licence plate and remit $18.00 to the DMV.
Insurance is another thing and I agree that without a VIN # a person cannot
obtain insurance (substantiated today by retired Roseville motorcycle officer,
friend.
The issue of lights is referred to only, as far as I can tell, to "motorcycles", e.g.,
headlights with high and low beam, tailights, brake lights and turn signals.
Again, the same with TWO mirrors.

Hope you beat the rap.

Victor

I had a cop stop in front of me and told me to put on a helmet!!!!!!...."OK"!

A week later a motorcycle cop pulled next to me in Chinatown and said "what are you doing riding that on the street? I said well, I have pedals and I'm under 50cc. So he pulls his vehicle code book out of his saddle bags and starts reading.....I'm thinking well the party's over! He said well it's a gray area, and I say ya it's all a gray area. He said OK, you can take off...........I left him standing in the street reading his manual.
I said, "I'll be in Chinatown if you want me.

I had a cop stop in front of me and told me to put on a helmet!!!!!!...."OK"!

A week later a motorcycle cop pulled next to me in Chinatown and said "what are you doing riding that on the street? I said well, I have pedals and I'm under 50cc. So he pulls his vehicle code book out of his saddle bags and starts reading.....I'm thinking well the party's over! He said well it's a gray area, and I say ya it's all a gray area. He said OK, you can take off...........I left him standing in the street reading his manual.
I said, "I'll be in Chinatown if you want me.

If you are exemp from 406(a) due to the automatic transmission requirement I wonder if this older code would take it's place. I would carry this with me either way if I wasn't registered.

4020. A motorized bicycle operated upon a highway is exempt from
registration.

I Got My Little Licence Plate For My Greenline Marine Cruiser.
I Am "legal"!!! It Was Easy. I Filled Out The Form And Sent It With A $18.00 Check. Now, ...i Fear No Lawman!

Taylor,

If memory serves me, I believe you said your court date was June 26.

Soooooooo, what happened?

Mary

Great info for a NOOB! Thanks!

Hey guys,

I'm a NOOB, and I don't even have my engine kit yet... It should arrive on July 3rd so I'll have a little project over the weekend.

Anyway, I'm in Millbrae, California, and was just worrying over the law and saw this thread. This is perfect. You guys are totally awesome!

Quick questions:

1) Think I can should ahead and get the registration/special license plate taken cared of before the bike is even built? Sounds like I don't have to worry about the engine's serial number as I can have whatever I want. Also, the kit is over 49cc... But no where does it indicate that I need to provide that info on the application... So I guess that's not a concern? (Just claim it's 49cc since most kits aren't marked... right?)

2) Helmet - Argh... Helmet hair? So how many of you in CA use a bicycle helmet and how many actually use a DOT approved motorcycle helmet?

Thanks again! And I'm interested in finding out what happened to Taylor's court case also!

AT Agent

I use a helmet

I use a helmet . I ride with a bennie helmet, not dot approve. I have a half shell helmet that is dot approve... (just in case). My motor did have a short number on it and I used it along with the number on the bike frame. Not sure if it matters, but if stolen I can prove it belongs to me. :)

Back