Alternative clutch lever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
learn to make your own cables bulk cable is cheap and so are the fittings
Where do find barrels that actually stay on?
What about the small ends that go on a throttle cable? Those are real tough ones.
Also, don't forget the little silver cable cover ends, without them on brake and clutch cables the ends to bunch up.

Where do find barrels that actually stay on?
What about the small ends that go on a throttle cable? Those are real tough ones.
Also, don't forget the little silver cable cover ends, without them on brake and clutch cables the ends to bunch up.
You learn to SOLDER as this is how you make the ends stay on.
http://www.flandersco.com/
But you being a Pro Builder should already know this right?
So your right KC we do build diffent class Motorized Bikes!

You learn to SOLDER as this is how you make the ends stay on.
http://www.flandersco.com/
Learn to solder, good one ;-}
Thanks for the link, great source, I'll see how feasible it is to buy bulk cable and parts!
But you being a Pro Builder should already know this right?
So your right KC we do build diffent class Motorized Bikes!
Cheap shot but that's OK, I don't lace my own wheels or rebuild shot hubs, or fab frames either which should put me down to beginner in your book.
On the other hand I build bikes for customers and cut no corners on quality and safety so I leave the grunt work I not only haven't mastered but don't care to like lacing new hubs in wheels or making cables when I get what I need professionally done around the corner which must make me a total **** in your book.

Fortunately for me I have my own book filled with happy customers that just wanted quality reliable transportation.

Thanks for the link, great source, I'll see how feasible it is to buy bulk cable and parts!
Cheap shot but that's OK, I don't lace my own wheels or rebuild shot hubs, or fab frames either which should put me down to beginner in your book.
On the other hand I build bikes for customers and cut no corners on quality and safety so I leave the grunt work I not only haven't mastered but don't care to like lacing new hubs in wheels or making cables when I get what I need professionally done around the corner which must make me a total **** in your book.

Fortunately for me I have my own book filled with happy customers that just wanted quality reliable transportation.

this coming from a guy that that does not even know how a lipo battery is rated or why. Lipo Battery packs are NOT rated in watts!! Makes me wonder just how high quality it can be. When you have others do your work you are responsible for that work just as if you did the work personally. More like built to a price to make the most profit. But this is just my opinion!!

$15 is steep! I paid $5 for the inner cable today and the guy made me an outer sheath on the spot. Exactly 60" just as I asked and the outer was only $5 as well. A few more bucks than eBay cables, but at least I didnt have to wait a week.
Cool, so you have the clutch lever on the handlebars where it should be as you use it every time you start and stops?

This pic may help, it may not, but if you want safe and easy to operate handlebars this is how I do all 2-stroke MB's with gears.

JSbikeShipbox1.jpg

And Yank, you might want to get your Prozac perception updated dude or take your flame warrior crap to me in e-mail or something as toasting a kid seeking helps topic is no place for you to be harassing me.

I've been building my own throtle and brake cables for years. None have come apart. I also lace and true my own wheels when needed.
Goped and recumbent cables are much longer than normal and I can buy the cable and housing for $3 or $4 and make it myself. And unless I'm standing right there supervising I would never trust someone else to work on one of MY customer bikes. And I also have a book filled with satisfied customers. And of course it's SAFETY FIRST with every build. And yeah, Learn to solder was kinda a cheap shot, Unless he's right.
Big Red.

I've been building my own throtle and brake cables for years. None have come apart.
Cool, and I thanked him for the link to the bulk supplier and bookmarked it. I room for 50' of sheath and inner cable here and in case you hadn't noticed in all my build pics, I size every cable.
I also lace and true my own wheels when needed.
Again cool, and have a spoke adjustment tool for loose spokes, I just don't care to spend on that.
And yeah, Learn to solder was kinda a cheap shot, Unless he's right.
Big Red.
Again I snicker, I got my Certified Electronics Engineer degree back in '83, designed and built my circuit boards from the ground up, and every single 2-stroke gets it's wiring replaced with soldered in better wire.
What was soldering iron again HEHEhehehe ;-}
And unless I'm standing right there supervising I would never trust someone else to work on one of MY customer bikes.
Neither would I. My build stall is 8' from my desk and every step is checked as the build goes together, I just find having someone else that wants to be here turn the wrench's and do the initial testing worth the money but nothing leaves here until I test ride it.

Is this like 'National Pick on KC' week here or what?
I don't come here for help, I come in to share my experience when I can for those need it as this site helped me when I was nOOb and paying it forward, not abuse.

Cool, and I thanked him for the link to the bulk supplier and bookmarked it. I room for 50' of sheath and inner cable here and in case you hadn't noticed in all my build pics, I size every cable.
Again cool, and have a spoke adjustment tool for loose spokes, I just don't care to spend on that.
Again I snicker, I got my Certified Electronics Engineer degree back in '83, designed and built my circuit boards from the ground up, and every single 2-stroke gets it's wiring replaced with soldered in better wire.
What was soldering iron again HEHEhehehe ;-}
Neither would I. My build stall is 8' from my desk and every step is checked as the build goes together, I just find having someone else that wants to be here turn the wrench's and do the initial testing worth the money but nothing leaves here until I test ride it.

Is this like 'National Pick on KC' week here or what?
I don't come here for help, I come in to share my experience when I can for those need it as this site helped me when I was nOOb and paying it forward, not abuse.

I wasn't capping on ya bro, Just funnin with ya. I've read enough of your posts to know how picky you are about yer builds. And almost ANYONE can solder two wires together, So OF COURSE that was "just funnin".
If you have a CERTIFIED SHOP building wheels for you, AND THEN you inspect them personally that would be fine. I'm just too cheap to pay someone for something I can do myself.
I only hire help as I need it. You obviously have a better turnout than I do. But I do all I CAN do considering my health. I'm happy to put out 2 or 3 bikes a month these days. A couple years ago I was producing A LOT more, But the last couple years I've had a steep decline in my health. I just do what I can do.
So, Like I said, I was just funnin with ya bro. Like you, I'm just here to pay it forward too. Keeping the newbies from making the same mistakes I made is, I feel, The reason I'm on this site. And every now and then I learn something too.
Big Red.

You and I are copacetic Big Red, no probs bud ;-}

I can just get a little defensive when my integrity or skills are
questioned is all since I made the decision long ago to never build **** regardless of profit even if I loose money which happens sometimes.
In short if it's not right it's wrong and it won't go out my shop door with my name on it with the latter.

Cool, so you have the clutch lever on the handlebars where it should be as you use it every time you start and stops?
Yup, it's on the handlebars. I had every intention on building a custom lever system on the maintube (bought everything to do it too), but decided against it because I really could spend multiple hours working on other things these days. So it's on the handlebars. It's kinda funny, but I was under the impression that I wouldn't need to pull the clutch lever in everytime I came to a stop. I though it was only for starting purposes and disengaging when the rider wanted to pedal, and could otherwise be left engaged. With that thought in my head, it didn't seem important to be close by and easy to reach, but now I understand.

I ended up cutting the lever short so that it doesn't interfere with my large hands and the brake lever. It takes a bit more muscle to manipulate the lever, but it's a non-issue.

This is the best pic I coule find that shows the levers:

20130625_003216_zpse76fbc2e.jpg

I'm also considering giving one of these a try in the near future: http://www.ebay.com/itm/161019586510?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back