Tires Amerityre - The Pros and the Cons

Removing the rim strip can make them much easier to get on. I put the 20" ones on by hand, easily. The 26" was a little more snug, and required the plastic paddle, but wasn't hard at all. You should be able to "snap" it on the rim nearest the floor, and work it around, then paddle it over the last 1/4 of the rim.

Water helps, but don't use soap, because it makes greasy stains on the yellow ones! I don't know if it matters on the black ones.

I know the guy at the tire store put it on/took it off by hand. Guess when you do this for a living...not which looks hard. :giggle:

Mine are solid black...so shouldn't matter too much if at all.

$20 is ok price for me. Is there Les Swalbe in Texas USA? I will have to search online and call them.

Not sure...but I know whenever I watch their spots on the tube locally...they claim to be in the Pacific NW. I know their Wells, NV store is down the street from one of the bordellos.

What wheels are you using? The Amerityres I got said "for steel rims only" (I guess meaning hooked bead, single wall common cheap wheels), but a 20" x 1.95 pair I have on a kid trailer is doing fine on aluminum dbl wall rims.

My rims are I guess the steel ones. Have given me no problems in several years. Am getting the HD freewheel put on the rear with a Sturmey/Archer on the front.

I looked here: http://lesschwab.com/ and none are in TX, with the closest listings in UT.

Oh well. Amerityres are great, its like someone finally figured out how to make this product, after most people have given it up as a 'kooky invention". There are 1000's of them in service on warehouse bikes and dollies, but I showed one off at a few bike shops here and they thought it was just bizarre and a gimmick.

I looked here: http://lesschwab.com/ and none are in TX, with the closest listings in UT.

Don't feel too bad. They don't have them in Southern Nevada or Arizona either.

Oh well. Amerityres are great, its like someone finally figured out how to make this product, after most people have given it up as a 'kooky invention". There are 1000's of them in service on warehouse bikes and dollies, but I showed one off at a few bike shops here and they thought it was just bizarre and a gimmick.

Looks like I can across the best for what I need to use them for. If my roommate hadn't used them for years...would've never known about them or getting them from a tire place which handles tires for vehicles bigger than bicycles. Just in case I don't like them...I have my old tires and will run some thick Slime tubes in them after the 1st of the month.

I had to put a regular slick on the back of my wife's bike because it's a friction drive and it didn't work with the nu-tech brand foam tire without eating it for lunch. So now I have the front nu-tech, and a spare, for her. She liked it better now that it doesn't slip. If you have a chain drive though, these should work ok unless you have some 10hp motor and do burnouts on them.

The Amerityres I got were a lot thicker (taller), with a better tread (BMX type knobbies), and more solid material, more rubber-like than foam-like. I think it's a better system by far.

Last edited:
If you have a chain drive though, these should work ok unless you have some 10hp motor and do burnouts on them.

As long as I can go sightseeing...get to work...iratate people getting $50-100 in gas for their pickups...go shopping/church and get there about 20-30 MPH with the 49cc HS engine until the snow comes or it gets too cold...I will be happy. Even when I was riding full sized motorcycles...they were for transportation...not seeing how much rubber I can exude into the air.

The Amerityres I got were a lot thicker (taller), with a better tread (BMX type knobbies), and more solid material, more rubber-like than foam-like. I think it's a better system by far.

The only type they have at Les Schwab here in Twin Falls were the knobbies. I only ride on pavement or along the side of the road on the shoulder...so the BMX-type tread do me no good...but that's what they had.

You might get some unwanted attention from authorities and pervert biker gangs. But I'm sure the cagers will move out of your way.

That's some pretty crazy stuff, there. Should be good fodder for youtube laughs in any state.

Back to tires, here are the type I got (Amerityre yellow 26x1.95)
knobby.jpg

http://www.airfreetires.com/shopping/images/PRODUCT/medium/knobby.jpg

There are street/smooth types usually marketed for garden carts, that probably would do well on a bicycle but might be like high PSI tires
cut6.jpg

http://www.airfreetires.com/images/Amerityre/cut6.jpg

Last edited:
Back