Any Opinions or Experience With This DIY Kit from GasBike?

Would it work if I spaced it out about 7mm on both sides bringing it to about 125mm, then suck the frame in about 5mm on both sides with the axle nuts so I have enough total length on the 165mm axles?

I can chime in here. I changed rear axle to 180mm. then the spacing is easy, but then your pedal side chain line is like 5-7 mm out of whack due to the hub's O.L.D. (over locknut dimension) 110mm in the 135mm rear dropouts. I'm going to try bringing the front pedal chainring in (where I have some wiggle room) by filing or grinding the inner square taper opening and/or the crank if need be. Can't find any way to space the rear sprocket out. (if anyone knows an easy way please share)

Couple other things about the wheels & brakes. I like the wheels, but now having actually ridden the thing, I find the drum brakes to be mushy, substandard, not safe. Very poor performance, even under pedal only use. They will not stop you in a big hurry if and when you need them to. If you have fat front forks such as your standard mountain bike telescoping (shock absorber ) type you'll have to do some "rigging" for the stationary drum brake arm.

The rear coaster brake is also substandard IMHO. Again, it will not stop you in a hurry. (I keep hearing the phrase "greasy kid's stuff". LOL) Neither is anywhere near as good as standard V-brakes on a regular bike, and most certainly no comparison to disc brakes. Bluntly, I don't trust my life to them. YMMV.

Also, the wide rims don't allow the easy use of V-brakes. (can't even find info as to whether they are even rated/recommended for rim brakes of any type) Possibly going to try calipers or cantilevers for rear, new disc hub or wheel for front. Later on maybe go for the internal geared hub with disc on rear (with jackshaft/shifting kit). I suspect I'll eventually end up with an entire new wheelset, making sure the O.L.D hub width is correct and with the preferred brake etc.

Overall, (so far that is) the frame & engine seem OK, everything else; iffy at best. A pile of garbage at worst. Nearly everything is/was defective, bad or substandard, like headset, fuel filter, petcock, hardware and so on.

I ended up building a genuine skyhawk bike frame and motor.I got a thread in the builds section. As for the spacing problem, I ended up just tightening the frame down to the rear hub. It sucked in real easy and I haven't had a bit of problem with it. I have a rear coaster along with dual V-brakes. I can coast to a stop or stop on a dime. I use the coaster the majority of the time and I haven't had to SLAM! on the brakes as of yet lol. The V-brakes stop me quick though if I should need.

Hey KCvale. I think I may have run into a problem. I wan't to run a coaster brake wheel on the rear of the skyhawk frame I just got in the mail today.
The thing is the spacing on the rear is 135mm and every single coaster wheel that I can find has 110mm spacing inner nut to nut.
Just squeeze the frame to fit if need be, it's not that hard, a ratcheting tie-down strap will do it.

But if you are using the new GT frame with a disc brake mount, for heavens sake use it!
Put a 3-speed disc hub in, they fit just right, jackshaft it, and you are golden ;-}

Back