April '09- 1,000 plus miles w/ RS 35cc....

Hope you have a safe trip back. At least you won't be going up any severe "inclines, " & it should be a lot faster & easier on fuel.

Posthumously inducted... LOL Do a search here on the forum, it'll pop up.
"We now return you to your regularly scheduled program- 'Bama's Further Adventures'- in progress"

even a few tornados we didnt need.anyways i hope your able to use that top end gear.see ya soon take lots of pics.

Yep, I probably passed thru 15 towns in SC and GA, that had chainsaws a blarin' from downed trees during the Tuesday storms, the day I happened to start back home. I only pulled over 3 times to out wait the harder showers Tues., maybe 30 minutes of total rain delay.

Anyway, just got back in about 1:30 cst (Fri), would have been an hour earlier but a fella chased me down in Peidmont, AL and ended up ordering a bike. Longer mileage on the return, for sure, but I'm guessing 1,000 miles total is about right.

I have to decompress, there are 3 trees down on the fence line, so I'll be cranking up the Stihl, fencing to patch, a foot or two of grass to mow, PLUS my durn pictures didn't upload in order, some are scrambled. (Must have been the dropping of the unit on hard surfaces).

But when I get the pix in a semblance of order, it will be tale time......we have it all !! Mountains, battle sites, the fuzz and fuzzy ears, and one of the best highways I've experienced in the south, GA 100, which I rode from beginning to near bitter end, with Bar-B-Q somewhere in between.

Attachments

• northcarolina&back 009.jpg
    northcarolina&back 009.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 389
  • northcarolina&back 061.jpg
    northcarolina&back 061.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 382
  • northcarolina&back 024.jpg
    northcarolina&back 024.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 382
  • northcarolina&back 045.jpg
    northcarolina&back 045.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 393
  • northcarolina&back 126.jpg
    northcarolina&back 126.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 406
All i can say is wow bama, you truly are an inspiration to every fellow motored bike out there,

what a journey and i can only hope that one day i will be able to have an adventure were i can get to experience the open roads of this amazing country we call home !!!!

congrats sir you do us all proud...

welcome back

bamabikeguy; Mountains said:
GA 100[/B], which I rode from beginning to near bitter end, with Bar-B-Q somewhere in between.

yeah cant wait to hear what the fuzz had to say.was the bbq:D or:sick:?

Bama,
Glad to hear that you made it back, safe & sound. I am sure you are tired. I could never do it, myself. Too much back & neck pain !

OVERVIEW

GoogleMaps & MapQuest are no longer dial-up friendly !

For over 2 hours I've been trying to plot out Day #1 of the trip, and I'm just going to manually add my "10% daily lost and/or backtracking factor" to the calculated mileage.

So, to get this party started, I re-scanned that old atlas map, to give a semblance of directions. The "X's" are my campsites, it took 3 days and 2 nights to reach Bill's house in Salisbury, NC, and due to a storm delayed start, 3 nights camping to reach home, looping south of Atlanta.

But I really want to get the exactness down, (MapQuest is running simultaneously, and I may soon have Day # 1 plotted. I'm not sure it is worth all the trouble.)

I guess the main question was, "will I ride the Rucio the Recumbent with the 4 stroke on a cross country rally/challenge/sweepstakes/race?"

A: NO !

In the future, anything over 100 miles will be done on Rocinante the Cruiser, with either the Tanaka 33cc or my old Zenoah 25cc 2 cycle.

There is a 3 day music festival next month, but its only 30 miles away, so I will hitch up Rucio for that, but whenever the Charleston SC to San Diego Challenge arises, I'll be on that good ol' red cruiser, with some 15,000 miles under her tires.

The Robin Subaru 35 cc performed FLAWLESSLY, but loaded down I was averaging 20 miles per hour, and 30 mph is a minimum for long distance travel. As I was cruising along, I thought how the recumbent would feel if it was going 10 mph faster, and that might be the problem.

HEY RECUMBENT FOLKS- What is your top speed??
I think mine is about 27 (with the 12 tooth normal gear), and I can't honestly say that is a safe speed carrying 50-60 pounds of extra camping gear.

I'm going to beef up the front, see if I can modify it with a fatter front tire. The Kenda Kwest High Pressure tire model that comes with it recommends 100 psi (I ran it at 60 psi), it has a goodly chunk of rubber, but I think a 2-2.25" tire, with a punctureproofed tube, will really stablize the ride.

Needless to say, I took off with the stock wheel/tire/tube that came from the bike shop. (This will be an issue before on Day #4, before I even leave Bill's house to return home).

The second matter is that "comfortable seat". On Rocinante, with the 12 inch saddle/shock absorber post, I can't remember getting as saddlesore. But beginning on day #3, after maybe 5 hours of riding, I definitely was. Every day, after 1-2 p.m., my **** got tired of being locked in that recumbent position.

With a cruiser, out in the middle of Nowhere Kansas, to relieve boredom, I could actually stand up on the pedals to stretch while riding, and had a lot of shifting possibilities. I could shift around a little bit on the recumbent, but thats a main reason I'll limit rides to 100 mile radii.

(Plus there it that wide open/wired down thumb throttle ability with a 2 cycle, which I like.)

There IS a trade off, the recumbent took ALL the hills !! (except 1, a short 100 yard walkup on Day #2, entirely due to a chicken truck and the lack of a shoulder on a steep uphill coming into Waleska, GA).....

If the trip was done in the summer, I probably would have a different attitude, but when you start out in the low 30 degree temps, the lack of "suitcase space" really came into play.

I'm not complaining at all, I acclimated to the 20 mph limit quickly, was pleasantly surprised on the first real climb near Little River Canyon Road. (a cold/fuzzy Pic #2/3).

After I beat that hill, and over the course of the entire ride, the one I dreaded most was the one I knew best, coming home on Highway 278 near Attalla. When I called Julia at Golden Eagle yesterday to order that engine for the Piedmont fella, even SHE knew the hill I was talking about (she's originally from Alabama). And when I returned all my phone messages locally and mentioned the Attalla Hill, lets just say "they were impressed".

But I'm not going to gloss over the facts, long distance touring is done better on a cruiser, and faster with a 2 cycle.

Well, after nearly 3.5 hours, MapQuest has finally gotten me a rendition of Day #1 miles (133.89 miles PLUS 10% "lost" = 147 miles)... wth?? Why bother? I guessed 150 per day!!

Bear with me as I try to get all the dailies and potential attractions in order, and get a photo slideshow uploaded.

If I go to the trouble of MapQuesting the entire journey, I'll predict it ended up at 1,000 miles total, +/- 50.

Link to Day #1 map, it appears they no longer "print to computer" (maybe one of you ultraspeedy connectors can figure the MapQuests out for me?): :whistle:

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/7-osVbj_UR

But, without further ado, here's the stateline "proofs", that last one being where the Silver Comet Rails to Trails meets the Chief Ladiga Trail between Cedarton GA and Piedmont AL.

I've added them to my Statelines Crossed Picasa Album, South Carolina and North Carolina being 13th and 14th.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bamabikeguy/StatelinesCrossed?feat=directlink

Attachments

• NC trip.jpg
    NC trip.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 399
  • northcarolina&back 010.jpg
    northcarolina&back 010.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 366
  • northcarolina&back 012.jpg
    northcarolina&back 012.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 371
  • northcarolina&back 019.jpg
    northcarolina&back 019.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 361
  • northcarolina&back 035.jpg
    northcarolina&back 035.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 379
  • northcarolina&back 027.jpg
    northcarolina&back 027.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 355
  • northcarolina&back 053.jpg
    northcarolina&back 053.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 370
  • northcarolina&back 096.jpg
    northcarolina&back 096.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 357
  • northcarolina&back 134.jpg
    northcarolina&back 134.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:
hi bama,

as you noticed with your lwb recumbent travelling at too high a speed is not too much fun, that wipe out feeling is just around the next corner,

when it comes to recumbents alaskavans tadpole can sustain 40 mph, the three wheels and the lower center of gavity playing a hugh factor,so i suppose this would be the recumbent of choice for a major trip.

A two wheel swb recumbent might be able to sustain a higher speed in a more acceptable comfort zone.

I have limited my delta to 20mph, its way too scary to be going any faster

Back