Sprockets Are hub adapters any good?

I talked to Michael earlier and we decided on a great way to get the bore to the proper size. I found the sprocket and adapter will fit in the lathe and i can clamp to the inside of the sprocket. I will then get an under sized hole saw to cut it closer so ther is less material to machine off. The tool I will be using is a little complex to describe of text but I will post pictures of it when I get it made and start cutting.

I will probably take and cut it under sized if I can and then do a bit of work making it splined if that sounds like a good idea.
If cutting one down slightly undersized it would almost pay to do some pyramid knurling to the adapter surface. That would give it a mechanical "bite" to the hub.

If cutting one down slightly undersized it would almost pay to do some pyramid knurling to the adapter surface. That would give it a mechanical "bite" to the hub.
I think that would work.better if it were done to to the steel of the hub. I could try to do that with a file, but I think some 638 loctite and a few roll pins should be more than enough. Remember I am trying to do this cheaper than buying or building a good set of wheels for the meantime, paying to do work like that or the machine work would probably cost the same as if I bought a good rear wheel. I have the adapter and will have the stock wheel, so all I will have to buy is the loctite and a few roll pins. The rest juat takes a bit of time and I'm okay with that.

I think that would work.better if it were done to to the steel of the hub. I could try to do that with a file, but I think some 638 loctite and a few roll pins should be more than enough. Remember I am trying to do this cheaper than buying or building a good set of wheels for the meantime, paying to do work like that or the machine work would probably cost the same as if I bought a good rear wheel. I have the adapter and will have the stock wheel, so all I will have to buy is the loctite and a few roll pins. The rest juat takes a bit of time and I'm okay with that.
Several hours with a triangle file and you could put "splines" into anything. Cost: Hours.

Back