Tubes Are 'Slime' tubes worth the extra money?

I guess there is no need for any of that "fancy bike stuff"

"The touring guy's are shaving their legs to cut weight. I just wear a plain old pair of work jeans...all I ever needed!"

Of corse if you have ever ridden a bike in a pair of bike shorts you would note the difference. B.T.W. tourists don't save their legs Racers do and its not for aerodynamics or weight it for when you crash the hair won't get in the wounds and hurt the healing.

what I do is kind of a compromise I wear bike shorts under my long shorts or jeans because they really make it a lot more comfortable.

I did not patch tires in my shop because I could not guarantee that it would work all the time. I had some customers come back and complain later, so I stopped patching tires after the first summer. I know all of those "evil" bike shop owners in their spare time are tripping old lady's and pulling the wings off of fly's when there not living in there mansions and flying to the Bahamas for vacations with your hard earned money.

I am not trying to be an elitist, part of the reason I like the folks here is they seem to accept different stiles and likes. We are such a minority do we have to belittle and moline each other?

Just a thought Mike

I dunno Your saying that I don't know what I am doing because I bike to work and back with jeans on. I done it that way for a good 30 years. Why am I wrong. I never said anything about your attire . You could be wearing a rubber scuba suit with a snorkel and every thing with a Mohawk too for all I care.

My paints I wear are not restricting either I wear them because in a accident I can have skin left to heal. A lack of hair would be the least of my worry's.lol. Is that OK with you? Can you say road rash? I was rough and tough in the BMX days Early 80's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IddHJmT-LYs

If it makes you feel any better all the riding I done pulled the hair off my legs.:giggle:

I am pretty harry . I think I shaved off enough weight to afford the the jeans I might have broke even?

"The touring guy's are shaving their legs to cut weight. I just wear a plain old pair of work jeans...all I ever needed!" This was sarcasm and absolute truth to me as I see it. Funny how ya took it.

A guy has to paint with pictures to get his words and meaning across. I don't know any Ellette guy's that ride their Lance Arm Strong bikes any other way . I never saw them in jeans when I was lucky enough to pass them every once in a while on a set of Knobbie tires humming....

I have yet to see a Amish dressed guy on one of these Lance bikes have you?

It is also exactly how I ride. So really? Whats wrong with that. Did I break a dress code? Now I am offended can't we all just get along. I just wanna wear jeans why do I have to join the young crowed? Whats up with that? Besides if the accident is bad enough the hair and the skin goes away at the same time the way I see it.

Uber Kewl motorcycle riders wear leather....so there!:D

So you started off a bike shop and learned it was silly to patch tires and it took all summer to figure out simply selling a customer righteous tube? I am glade I could help then!

Just a thought.

I don't get it, why the flame?

If I offended you by saying that you might be a bit more comfortable if you tried something different then I apologize. If your happy riding in blue jeans the more to ya. Why the flame? I understand that there are quite a few cyclists who look down there noses at somebody who doesn't ride a carbon fiber ten pound bike, does that give you permission to be as or more offensive than those elite Bozos?

I used to work for a guy that new more than you or I about bikes and he said "bikes by themselves just sit there" Even the best motor bike unless somebody is on it just sits there.

its seem to me that the less people know the more they get mad at criticism, could it be that you might be a bit insecure about your station in life?

If I offended you by saying that you might be a bit more comfortable if you tried something different then I apologize. If your happy riding in blue jeans the more to ya. Why the flame? I understand that there are quite a few cyclists who look down there noses at somebody who doesn't ride a carbon fiber ten pound bike, does that give you permission to be as or more offensive than those elite Bozos?

I used to work for a guy that new more than you or I about bikes and he said "bikes by themselves just sit there" Even the best motor bike unless somebody is on it just sits there.

its seem to me that the less people know the more they get mad at criticism, could it be that you might be a bit insecure about your station in life?

One of my trick questions I have asked over the years is did you ride a bike to the shop today? When at a bike shop. So I beg to differ on your equation about experience because nothing beats hands on experience. The first thing in my book is you have to ride to get a clue!

I have enjoyed thousands of miles in my lifetime. I gotta say it is very full filling and satisfying for me. I peddled through winters here that were very enjoyable . The city was locked down one year and a ride that would have normally took 35 minutes took a hour and a half each way. The ruts in the snow were brutal and I loved ever step of it .The snow was fun I should have wrecked and never did. [This would have totally destroyed a racing bike
IMHO] I like showing up to work with snotcycles hanging off my face and getting folks reactions is fun. Every ride for me is just as nostalgic as the last and first it never gets old for me . I live for it. I find that I simply cannot get a workout on a carbon fiber bike.:cool:

I have also tried to illustrated that their tires are simply not worthy to me and said why if you cannot keep the wheels straight . They ride too rough for me I think traction is compromised. To get a tire that don't leak the tire has to be too thick and stiff IMHO. As I simply do not need them.

Also most folks here are not going to motorize a carbon bike and run unforgiving skinny tires IMHO.

In light of that and the given tire size I have tried to demon-straight very comfy IMHO. I believe many folks will be truly happy!!!! As I feel it is definitely sound advice that I have given concerning my tires and the experience I have had with them..

For the record I peddle more than I motor around . My love and true hands on experience I can say has taken me places. I really enjoy building things and have some great motored bikes as well. Very fast and scary is one of them . A Morini :cool: If this bike had ultra skinny tire/wheels I think I would have bent rims and would have lost traction at one time and possibly wrecked.

Down hill bikes are my favorite bike done with touring gears. 52 tooth front sprocket small tight rear cassettes Curb hopping everything never ever hurts them. At over six foot tall I been able to successfully polish this type of get up to a art and science that has served me well.

Amish attire would actually be very comfortable too! I would go for that. I have a recipe for bike seats that I have used for 20 years a special carved out foam seat like a Mohawk [sort of] some awesome glue and two gel seat covers best invest meant I ever pioneered. Very comfy!!!!!

My point was I don't personally like those bikes and said why it had nothing at all to do with attire.
Or the johnny rebel that is on it. Mechanics and simple laws of physics here are my only point.

I cannot get a righteous work out on those type of bikes ether. I can't be riding more than 30 miles every day just to get a work out. Believe it or not I was always in it for the work out. That is what gears are for you can match them to your load and distance. Did your boss ever teach you that? Or do you simply need a easier bike to peddle? A fair point to say is a simple rugged bike does me perfectly.

How do you make or trust a carbon fiber race bike to do what I ask from mine
1 a decent workout that is not ridiculous in going too fast in the city. [Safer ride] I follow my strength those bikes would take me over 30 miles a day to get a real workout!
2 front and rear Suspension
3 Softer riding truly dependable play full tires with superior traction for every situation that are proven not to leak
4 tire size that actually protects the rims from getting bent/better rims too
5 a proven frame that will not fall apart and can be used ruggedly
6 lumbar is over all better with proper posture on this bike due to a smoother ride making a work out very livable
7 just plain dependable! A heavier bike is and can be a very smooth ride IMHO

How is it that you could not competently patch a tire for a customer? I have not patched a tire in like 25 ,30 years and I feel confident I could still conquer that? I mean to me it is simple bubbles and water ether it does not bubble or you did not fix it? Bubbles no bubbles . If there are a dozen holes why try to patch it. This makes no since to me.

If you are blaming it on the tire still having a sticker why did you not sell them better tires or at least a heavy duty tube liners? Your buddy slime then? Could it be you are not in fact a shop owner and simply did not know what you were doing.
I realize this sounds harsh please see it from my or even a customers perspective.............

Why is a shop owner this uneducated? This is why shops are not permitted to work on my machines. There is only one way I want it . I am just done experimenting. I have learned from my mistakes.

When I go to a bike shop and say make it work please it is because I trust they do this for a living and know what I need! Even I know what the alternatives are!!!!! If in fact you knew then what the alternatives were you would not be wasting your time or the customers.

I call shenanigans on this one!! I feel sorry for the customers mostly...

If I ran a bike shop I would want to personally see to it that every one had zero flats more especially if they asked. I would educate the masses.

Were you trying teaching the customers how to patch their tubes when they started leaking? Is this where it started? I am thinking a so called well to do shop owner doing CPR on a tube would perhaps be tutoring the customer? You already said you took slime out of the picture, I suspect with extreme uneducated prejudice. how come you cannot patch a tube. I learned this when I was 5 years old seriously.

Your demeanor to shift integrity in a childish way to insinuate some kind of prejudice about different folks bikes or what they wear is insulting to me to. I honestly don't care what somebody rides or what they wear. You should come up with something else silly?

Last edited:
Well, in all honesty, this is how to fix a flat on the road.

1. Carry portable air. Either in a can or a pump.

2. Carry in your bike bag a plug kit! If you see a goathead, just immediately plug it through the tire, and patch it when you get home.

Plugs are used in car tires, and will work fine on a bike if you keep the psi up enough to keep the tube from traveling.

Well, in all honesty, this is how to fix a flat on the road.

1. Carry portable air. Either in a can or a pump.

2. Carry in your bike bag a plug kit! If you see a goathead, just immediately plug it through the tire, and patch it when you get home.

Plugs are used in car tires, and will work fine on a bike if you keep the psi up enough to keep the tube from traveling.

When is the last time you even tried slime like I am suggesting? I would have to have over a hundred of those to get through a work week you kidding me or what? The only thing I can figure you guy's are using tiny tires they must be like carrying luggage the horror of it all. I want absolutely nothing to do with what tires you must be using. Seriously what the heck are using requiring this much attention then? I think we all need to avoid it ! I would have the bike torn down at work and again at home daily. It would be abhorring just to go and get lunch!

I would have my bike plumb tore up from taking them apart all the time forget having a chance to ride it........

Please tell us I don't think anyone needs to be using that at all!!!!!!

So what do you do when you don't see a dozen Goat heads? What if I pick up more than I can count in six miles? This is lame!:sick: great suggest this apparently solves every ones problems why didn't I think of this? This is a real winner right here now! LAMO You apparently solved every ones problems. They should all constantly take their bikes apart because this is just casual behavior. LAMO

http://www.slime.com/testimonials.html

Last edited:
Is there a thread about road cycling? There seems to be a lot of misconceptions and prejudice about road cyclists on this website. Roadies don't shave their legs to save weight (except maybe the most vain gram counters). It is much easier to put on skin products on smooth skin, such as sun tan lotion, embrocating creams (muscle ache relievers, vitamins, warming ingredients such as herbs or alcohols or menthol), etc.
Also it is easier to clean up if you get road grime, grease, or blood on your legs.

Is there a thread about road cycling? There seems to be a lot of misconceptions and prejudice about road cyclists on this website. Roadies don't shave their legs to save weight (except maybe the most vain gram counters). It is much easier to put on skin products on smooth skin, such as sun tan lotion, embrocating creams (muscle ache relievers, vitamins, warming ingredients such as herbs or alcohols or menthol), etc.
Also it is easier to clean up if you get road grime, grease, or blood on your legs.

Interesting the folks that are true racers are the ones with their legs shaved right? I thought this was established all ready and easy to comprehend? Now what kind of bike would that said rider be using then? I dunno would it be a huffy? Would it be a Walmart special then? Oh dunno a tricycle! Come on its an easy one! Lets make it a hint then. What do racers use and what kind of bike is necessary? To be a real winner!!

If you read the touring blogs who are the ones with the most flats? Why would a guy like me want that?
Why would a motored bike be better off with a heavier duty set up?

What elements of physics does it take to get such a swell bike? Does the physics of those tires change from being tiny verses a large one? Here is another question to perhaps help confusion then. What kind of sticker truly makes those virtually impossible to ride around on where I live? What changed in the equation that makes mine set up work with out a hitch and why I prefer it over the others? What others would I have been referring too?:whistle:

Last why would a said shop owner not be able to comprehend these subtle differences?
Would it be a lack of experience with mountain bikes? Could it be that said owner only knows road bikes?:geek:

Last edited:
I know GoatHerder, you like the slime tubes cause you think it's a solution, or rather it IS a working solution for yourself.

But, the thread is called "Are Slime Tubes Worth The Extra Money".

Sure - go buy some super thick tubes and buy a bottle of slime per each tire.
That's not what the poster is wanting to know about though.

In my opinion this is what I will say.

How much "extra money" are you willing to spend? You put enough money into it and you can get a tire that's bulletproof. If you're saying you spent an extra dollar and didn't like the results, either find another road to a common solution, or spend more money in that same boat.

If the OP is asking if Slime TUBES are worth the extra money, he obviously can't afford new tires (easy 50$ a piece), two bottles of slime (~20 bucks), tire liners, (15 bucks) and over 20 bucks on tubes. Not that I mean you can't, but that 150 bucks PLUS is a lot for tubes and tires.

I know how important it is to keep your rim off the ground, it's not like I don't ride. It's not like I'm just some dude who heard about these new fangled slime tires on NPR and suddenly I have an opinion. I've been an incredibly avid daily rider for the last decade.

In a perfect world, we wouldn't have goatheads.
In a better world, there'd be SAFE BIKELANES for everyone who commutes.
In a great world everybody would be able to drop the 300-400 dollars it would cost to GUARANTEE you don't get flat.
In a world other than ours, we wouldn't have to worry about broken glass, shards of metal, nails, screws and all that good stuff.
We don't live in that kind of world. Where we're at is a place where goatheads exist, bikelanes are lacking, there's dope needles and broken beer bottles on the side of the street and money is tough to come by.

I'll trust my bike to a standalone slimed tire when Slime cuts a deal with AAA and will tow me home if it goes flat.

It's not a for sure thing. Say this. I slice your tire. That's it, took me 3 seconds, you were in the burger joint eating and I sliced your tire. Is slime going to hold up to that?

Unless you actually carry a bike bag and are prepared to deal with this, don't just "rely on slime". Bike tires get sliced every day, and that's malicious stuff. Now, you get mother nature in here, it's a whole different story.

Goatheads are NOT the only thing you have to keep from entering your tube. Slime will keep you okay with goatheads and staples. Anything bigger than that... well, in between slats of concrete there is a gap for the temperature fluctuation. Have you ever ran over a drywall screw sticking out of one of those on a slimed tube? I can tell you I have, and they don't hold up to torn tube. You're walking it home if you do that, and if you don't have a serious bike bag, you can't do an on the spot repair.

As well, if you get a leak with slime in your tire you will lose pressure. Maybe not much, but you will. You get 40 goatheads and I tell you now you will lose pressure. Slime will work, if you pull the goathead immediately, put the hole at the 6 oclock position, wait a minute and then spin the tire. Now, 40 goatheads per tire? If you don't take the tube out of the tire and pull out the broken off shank of goathead spike from the tire, you will get multiple flats from the same goathead. Especially as you're losing pressure, the tube will travel in the tire, and that goathead that's in the tire is just working it's way into your tube like a porcupine quill. So, what was 40 goatheads a wheel, can easily be 160 pinholes between your bike and the pavement.

Via slime websites faq (paraphrased)
Slime doesn't fix flats on sidewalls.
Slime won't fix gashes and tears from metal and glass.

Without sounding rude, you'd have to be a fool to ride without a bike bag, and you would have to be a jerk to suggest to someone that they shouldn't carry one either.

If you are that adamant that slime works, pedal 35 miles out into the desert at dusk without a cell phone, without a repair kit and poke a pushpin into each tire 20 times.

If that sounds stupid, I assure you, it is. You may as well be doing that every time you get on your bike if you don't ride prepared with a repair kit and be ready to spend the 5 minutes it takes to repair a tube.

Last edited:
I know GoatHerder, you like the slime tubes cause you think it's a solution, or rather it IS a working solution for yourself.

But, the thread is called "Are Slime Tubes Worth The Extra Money".

Sure - go buy some super thick tubes and buy a bottle of slime per each tire.
That's not what the poster is wanting to know about though.

In my opinion this is what I will say.

How much "extra money" are you willing to spend? You put enough money into it and you can get a tire that's bulletproof. If you're saying you spent an extra dollar and didn't like the results, either find another road to a common solution, or spend more money in that same boat.

If the OP is asking if Slime TUBES are worth the extra money, he obviously can't afford new tires (easy 50$ a piece), two bottles of slime (~20 bucks), tire liners, (15 bucks) and over 20 bucks on tubes. Not that I mean you can't, but that 150 bucks PLUS is a lot for tubes and tires.

I know how important it is to keep your rim off the ground, it's not like I don't ride. It's not like I'm just some dude who heard about these new fangled slime tires on NPR and suddenly I have an opinion. I've been an incredibly avid daily rider for the last decade.

In a perfect world, we wouldn't have goatheads.
In a better world, there'd be SAFE BIKELANES for everyone who commutes.
In a great world everybody would be able to drop the 300-400 dollars it would cost to GUARANTEE you don't get flat.
In a world other than ours, we wouldn't have to worry about broken glass, shards of metal, nails, screws and all that good stuff.
We don't live in that kind of world. Where we're at is a place where goatheads exist, bikelanes are lacking, there's dope needles and broken beer bottles on the side of the street and money is tough to come by.

I'll trust my bike to a standalone slimed tire when Slime cuts a deal with AAA and will tow me home if it goes flat.

It's not a for sure thing. Say this. I slice your tire. That's it, took me 3 seconds, you were in the burger joint eating and I sliced your tire. Is slime going to hold up to that?

Unless you actually carry a bike bag and are prepared to deal with this, don't just "rely on slime". Bike tires get sliced every day, and that's malicious stuff. Now, you get mother nature in here, it's a whole different story.

Goatheads are NOT the only thing you have to keep from entering your tube. Slime will keep you okay with goatheads and staples. Anything bigger than that... well, in between slats of concrete there is a gap for the temperature fluctuation. Have you ever ran over a drywall screw sticking out of one of those on a slimed tube? I can tell you I have, and they don't hold up to torn tube. You're walking it home if you do that, and if you don't have a serious bike bag, you can't do an on the spot repair.

As well, if you get a leak with slime in your tire you will lose pressure. Maybe not much, but you will. You get 40 goatheads and I tell you now you will lose pressure. Slime will work, if you pull the goathead immediately, put the hole at the 6 oclock position, wait a minute and then spin the tire. Now, 40 goatheads per tire? If you don't take the tube out of the tire and pull out the broken off shank of goathead spike from the tire, you will get multiple flats from the same goathead. Especially as you're losing pressure, the tube will travel in the tire, and that goathead that's in the tire is just working it's way into your tube like a porcupine quill. So, what was 40 goatheads a wheel, can easily be 160 pinholes between your bike and the pavement.

Without sounding rude, you'd have to be a fool to ride without a bike bag, and you would have to be a jerk to suggest to someone that they shouldn't carry one either.

If you are that adamant that slime works, pedal 35 miles out into the desert at dusk without a cell phone, without a repair kit and poke a pushpin into each tire 20 times.

If that sounds stupid, I assure you, it is. You may as well be doing that every time you get on your bike if you don't ride prepared with a repair kit and be ready to spend the 5 minutes it takes to repair a tube.

I have not carried a patch kit tire pump or a cell phone as in my younger days when I really road and used to make those trips out into nowhere regularly also when cell phones did not work. These days I have more important things do. As I have done and always done it all my life I put a bike in-between the grocery store work friends all my errands.

How often do you change the oil in your car and only traveled in the city?

As for a flat I will walk clear across town and never had too. As for my motored builds I rarely Cary tools. If I road out of town I would consider this things they are good advice. Once again never really needed them well for motorized the tools then.

Bikes have been around longer than we all talking have been alive. They were not wearing all this fancy attire ether in those days. I mean I will certainly grant they will make a ride more pleasant just don't wreck. Non of us wants that tho [wreck]. I can't find a telephone booth to change out of the super man out fit. The line of work I was in you need pants. I just made my world as easy as possible. As for the touring type race tire bikes they appear to be the tires then that are extremely fragile. Must be why I don't use them.

As I said I told you how I did it don't get mad because it works. I don't absolutely ever work on my bikes or their tires.

The most I ever spent on a set of tires is 100 dollars for the whole kit put together we all know that slime is only 12 dollars out of all of all that. Lets face it tires are not cheap really for the tread patterns I pick out or the size tire that I prefer. I hate the rough riding Quality of a 26 x1.75 on down but that's just me.

In my younger days I road on what Kmart had to offer this worked great for me too. I put more miles on a huffy Mountain bike than more folks here prolly put on a touring bike. With 26x1.75 tires that is all Wally or K mart offers. May just be why I like those type size tires then. I ride them until they are bald or dry rot which is first. I only put the tire on only one time!!!

Don't get mad I told you how I did it.........

Touring bike tires are not cheap tho unless ya get them from Wally World?

I am truly sorry you have to take your bikes apart constantly this is a terrible way to go through life.

As for anybody that don't believe I all ready said this before See for your self.

Also you have to have enough slime in the said heavy duty tube to make a pool at the bottom or it will not work. The touring guy's are shaving their legs to cut weight. I just wear a plain old pair of work jeans...all I ever needed!

Do this put it together just the way I said to the letter. Take the challenge. Go get a nail even the kind that will give you lock jaw. Then make a hole in the nicely aired up tire spin the wheel soap check it you will only loose about 4 psi at the most if you even notice. There will not be any bubbles present with a soap check. I repeat it will not need repaired at all what so ever. There will be no mess ether. I bet you don't even get a booger on you if you tried! You can ride into the sunset. Do this and report back.....................Don't take my word or anybody's see for your self.

Last edited:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8KXFW201nM

I found this video that some guy put on you tube!!!!

As for the Goat Heads magically coming back to life and moving to different places in the tube that is simply impossible as my tires would have to go flat to do that and they never do......

Put this image in your head Goat heads suddenly turned into state of the art tire plugs by the slime. Yes this is precisely what I have done.:bowdown:

It is very sound advice that folks carry a tire pump and spare tube etc. I have for the most part just not carried anything. I know that sounds ignorant but that's just me. When I take a long and questionable trip things like winter and heat stroke. I bring a plan like you are saying Duct Tape Goat.

Prolly my average is once every 10.000 miles I need it Here where I ride in the city. Yes the Goat Heads are truly unavoidable in the city...

Did I say my mountain bikes rule?

In automotive in paint shops when we saw a car tire with a bolt or something in and could not repair the tire we left it in.

I have stated that I made it home or where I was going and to my surprise there was a trinket there. Key word home..

You mentioned that you have to constantly patch your tires which adds up to 5 minutes aye? You must get a ton of practice in then? That sounds terrible!

And then there are the cheap tire pumps too that fall apart? To me that's just way too much luggage I don't enjoy taking my bikes apart all the time. You must get a lot of joy out of this practice then?

Or maybe necessity was not your problem? You will not make it anywhere here where I live then!!!!!!

I could take you for a ride that would horrify you. While you are spending 5 mins to patch your tubes I will be riding circle eights around you like a Looney Tunes cartoon brutally teasing you and loving every minute off it!!!!!!!:whistle: Also do you relish and enjoy patching paper thin tubes? I just will not use them.

I would tease you until you cried.....:cry: That's not where I would stop ether.:giggle:

So I suggest what your using perhaps it is time to reexamine.:geek:

They sell major heavy duty tires for folks I gave links to them they are not cheap ether. You get what you pay for.

My mountain bikes rule the earth here. They are all I will ever use period:D

http://www.slime.com/testimonials.html

Jacques CORRE

Thanks to SLIME, without it would be impossible to mountain bike in the desert and the tracks of Baja California where I spend the winter. In fact every body I know is using it and the product is wisely available in La Paz BCS....mind you at $10 for 8 onces.
Picture of the start of a race at La Presa De la Buena Mujer, 8 miles south of La Paz

Jacques (2/26/08)

Phil Whetsel

Can I just tell you how much winter in Wisconsin blows? Anyway, the last thing one wants to do when it is about 15 degrees outside is change a tire. A week or so ago, I went out to the garage to take the garbage out and I noticed I had a flat rear tire. It was after 8pm and I was in no mood to dig my spare out and change it. I inspected the tire and could see something had punctured the tread and was sticking out. I wasn't sure what it was, so I let it be. Anyway, I borrowed my roommate's car and drove down the road to pick up a bottle of Slime. I had used the bottle I had to seal a friend's tire a while back.

Once home, I put the proper amount of Slime Tire Sealant in my deflated tire and hooked up my handy dandy compressor and inflated the tire. Once inflated, I debated pulling out the object in my tire. "Oh well, I said and pulled out the object. Turns out it was a piece of plastic about an inch-and-a-half long. It looked like a mini wedge, sharp on one end. I pulled it out and air and Slime started spitting out of the tire. I thought, oh ****, now I've done it. But, after a few seconds, the spitting stopped and the Slime sealed up the tire. It has held ever since. I do plan on replacing the tire, but for now, it's been great. No loss of pressure. Great product.works as advertised. I'm glad I had the opportunity to purchase it for LeMans Corporation. Please keep up the great work.

Phil Whetsel

Parts Unlimited (Jan. 29, 2007)

Ray Strain

I have a handicap scooter, as I'm unable to walk. I've had flats on my scooter, and used your Slime and I wanted to tell you that it's a great product!!

I haven't had a problem since I've started using it!! It's EVEN easy to clean off my wife's CREAM carpet!!!

Thanks for a great product!!! Ray in Texas (Dec. 28, 2007)

Brian North

I counted at least twenty five tumble weed thorns in my mountainbike tires after switching over to the slime tubes. Amazingly,not one drop of air has leaked out since then. What an awesome product to use and you don't have to keep wasting your time changing out regular tubes or patches that never seem to work. Now, I spend my time riding the trails instead of changing out tubes or using patches. I'll never use anything else but Slime tubes. Do yourself a favor and use these on your mountainbike and you'll see it's the best way to go and worth every penny.....

Matt E

I took my mountain bike down for the beginning of the season tune up/tire change and found this guy (see photo) stuck in the front tire. The tire still had air from last fall and was ridable. I have no idea when I picked up the thorn but then if the tire was holding air, who cares!

Matt E. (Tucson, AZ) 5/2/2008

Cliff Gaunya

I have been using Slime products for about 5 years and it has saved my bacon many times! The mountainbiking trails in the foothills around Boise Idaho are loaded with goatheads. Pull the pesky thorn, spin the tire and I'm on my way. I now use SRT tires and have turned all my MTB friends on to them. Thanks!!

Cliff Gaunya
Boise, ID

Ryan

I ride in the Flat Iron Mountains above Boulder, Colorado and the rocks are really tough on tires. I have been using Slime in my bike tires since I was a child and even now I still don't have to worry about flats. It immediately seals any punctures. It is a great product and I always encourage my friends to use it. For someone like me who has to depend on my bike for transportation, especially while riding around a college campus and over beer bottles, Slime is a life saver. In fact, Slime is the brand I have come to know and trust when it comes to flat tire prevention and repair.

Ryan Odell (03/03/08)
Keep it green!

12-05-02, 09:51 AM
I don't get it. What is wrong with carrying a spare tube and patch kit?

Around here, especially with the mtn bike, you can't go very far wothout getting a goat head. I'm not talking about riding in the dirt - I mean on cement trails, roads, etc.

I keep slime in my mtn bike tubes because otherwise I would be fixing goat head flats quite regularly. When I finally do need to fix a flat on the mtn bike, when I remove the tube it will have many "slime fixed" holes in the tube, and a numbr of goathead remains in the tire.

So, I clean out the goat heads in the tire and put in a new slime tube about every year (unless I have some other type of flat) and don't have to mess with it.

I use the Armadillos on my roadie, and that seems to stop it. I have yet to find a similar 26 inch "slick" mtn bike tire about 1.25 x 26. If anyone knows of one with the same qualities as the Armadillo road tire, I would quickly change to that.

Anyone know of similar 26 inch slick tire?

I have adamantly said exactly what I use with tires inflated to to around 45 psi. As even the cheap Wally Mountain bike tires are not rated for a 100 psi.

Ever once a blue moon any where from 2 to 3 years I rejuvenate my tubes with more slime and simply ride provided they are not horrible or something else big happens. I have one slime tube with over 8 thousand miles on it the tube looks horrible it has been my experiment there are dried out stress cracks on it every where.. It is in its third mountain bike tire now.

You cannot do this with a paper thin tube!

As for staying on the subject and trying to help the title of the thread says.
Don't take my words or any ones for that matter see for your self.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back