Tubes Are 'Slime' tubes worth the extra money?

I've seen where others have said how you can make your own "slime" tubes by taking a regular tube, cutting a hole in it, squirting in the bottled Slime and then patching the tube.

-------

Tube sealer fluids aren't bombproof, and experiences vary a lot. When they work they can be great, but when they don't work they can make a huge mess.

I don't use them myself, but then there's no goat-heads where I live, which seems to be the main motivation. (there is a plant that looks kinda-sorta like that, but it doesn't seem to be the same thing and it's not real common)
~

That's just dumb, no offense.

The purpose of a slime bottle is that you unscrew the valve stem and put it in that way, and when you're done, screw the valve stem back in - to cut a hole to put the slime in is just asinine.

Yeah this makes no since to me ether.

I have re-read some of my previous posts here. I gotta say I may have came off a little harsh maybe at times. Sorry guy's no offense was really intended. The concept behind this stuff to me is really simple and I have had great luck with it. This will always prolly be a controversial subject. When I get up set I guess is when things are put way out of context of reality of my perceptions and personal experience.

All's I can say is how I did it, spell it out as clearly as I could to help clear up the confusion and it worked for me.

Each to their own. peace!

Herder, did you mean,"will displace and unbalance a wheel"? Seems to me the stuff will head to the farthest place in the tire and add to any unbalance.

To a degree you are definitely right about this perception. If a tire is out of round or a wheel not even straight it simply cannot be balanced. There are car tires that fit this definition. The tire shop will say it is not safe and sell you a new one because no amount of weights on the rim [balancing] will ever fix it.

Turning wrenches for a living I have seen what a bad tire out of whack will do to the cars wheel bearings too.

I want to leave this thought in passing . How far does two ounces of milk really cover across a table top. Can a tube be packaged in a box with two ounces of fluid in it? Does it come that way? I say no.

Also true motorcycles don't come with paper thin tubes in them. You cannot find a tube like that for them ether. This should mean something? I would not even feel safe on my somewhat over-weighted higher speed motored bike with my carcass on it and such a thin tube..

My fishing buddy likes Slime. He puts it in through the valve stem. You have to use a valve-core key to remove the core, just like workers do at tire shop when bleeding a tire out. After you put in the goo, just wipe off any excess and screw in the valve core.

One downside is that Slime can plug up the valve core. Its pretty minor though. If its plugged, it won't leak out. But its hard to let air out to adjust PSI for riding over roots or for your traction preference. Just remember to move the valve up above the slime, and carry extra cores in your kit.

I think I'll try some Slime in my Thorn Proofs on the MB. I can move the weight since I have the engine. Still don't care for it on my pedal bikes.

Dude I don't carry valve core tools or valve cores with me ever. I don't even know where to the tool is right now if I needed it right now if my life depended on on it . I have not cared as I simply don't need it. I can go to any of my slimed tubes and let the air out seriously. I will put the valve stem at 12 oclock too..Then I can put the air back in over and over again . Too many wifes tells on this ditty.

I honestly don't know why playing with the valve core would be so necessary. I don't know why I am the only one stepping up on this product here. So far nobody with experience like mine has chimed in.

If the product was so freaky and that adamant then a nail shot to ones rim would mean notta. They would never get a flat.

To clean the valve core thumb and four finger the bottom of your T shirt done. Just like getting a booger off your finger.
From http://www.slime.com/faq.html :

SLiME can escape up through the valve stem when tire is checked for air pressure or inflated. Always rotate the tire, when possible, so the valve stem is not at the 6 o'clock position. This enables the sealant to flow away from the valve preventing the product from blowing up through the valve where it might clog the valve, air pressure gauge or air source.

Is SLiME toxic or hazardous?

No, SLiME sealants are manufactured with non-toxic, non-hazardous and non-flammable ingredients. Spills can be easily washed away with water. No special steps need to be taken to remove the product.
From http://www.slime.com/faq.html :

What's the best way to inflate/deflate a SLiME treated tire?

Whenever possible, we recommend rotating the tire so the valve stem is in the 10 or 2 o'clock position. Gravity will help the sealant to flow away from the stem preventing it from blowing up through and out of the valve stem where the fibers and other particles can clog and block the valve and or blow out into your pump or compressor.

What is a valve core?

If you look straight down into the top of the valve stem you will see the very top of the core threaded inside the valve stem. The valve core remover tool that comes with the sealant slips right over this and by turning the tool in a counter-clockwise direction you will begin to unscrew the core. Keep turning until the entire piece falls out of the stem. With the core removed, SLiME can now be easily installed through the cleared passage. When the installation is complete, clean the area and replace the core screwing it tightly into place.

How much SLiME do I need to install?

The following provides general application information. Be sure to use the formula that is correct for your tire type (either tubed or tubeless).

Bike = 4 ounces per tire
Motorcycle = 8 ounces per tire
Wheelbarrow = 8 ounces per tire
**ATV = 24 to 32 ounces per tire
Trailer tires = 12 ounces per tire

[[[[[[''I Goat typically use 6 ounces per tire on a 26x1.75 on a 26.2.7 I use 8 ounces. I will replenish mine by instinctive measure after two years '']]]]]

Inner tubes treated with SLiME, which are still being used after two years, could be examined and if they are deemed to be in good condition, a small amount of the inner tube formula could be installed to replenish any lost sealant and bring the remaining product back to its normal operating viscosity.

I installed an aerosol flat repair product, but it didn't work. Can I now install SLiME?

No. We do not recommend or guarantee our product's performance when used in conjunction with another chemical based product. SLiME is chemically inert on its own; however, mixing it with another product could result in a chemical reaction that could degrade the integrity of the tire or rim.

Does SLiME Pro Freeze?

Slime Pro contains an antifreeze additive that enables cyclists to ride in cold weather conditions as low as -4˚F (-20˚C).

How does SLiME Work?

SLiME utilizes Fibro-Seal™ technology to seal punctures either before or after they occur. Suspended within the trademark green liquid are either 100% fibers (inner tube formula) or a blend of fibers, rubber particles and other clotting agents (tubeless formula). Once installed in a tube or tire, SLiME sealants remain in a liquid state repairing tread area punctures from the inside out. As the tire rotates the sealant is forced to flow around the tread area creating a band of protection. When a puncture occurs, the escaping air forces the green liquid through the puncture, packing fibers and other clotting agents into the hole and preventing further air loss. SLiME is able to work time and time again repairing punctures when they occur.

I installed SLiME recently and it failed to prevent my tire from going flat. Why didn't it work?

If you had installed SLiME to repair an existing puncture it may not have adequately sealed on the first shot. We recommend checking the tire for puncturing objects, removing any if found, re-inflating the tire and immediately rotating it. This forces the sealant to flow around the inner tube
or tire allowing it to locate and repair the puncture. SLiME is not guaranteed to seal gashes from glass or metal, bead leaks, sidewall punctures or pinch flats. Be sure to check your valve to ensure air loss is not occurring at this source.

Last edited:
Slime should give you free stuff for advertisement. :) You can write to them and see if they will have a representative join the board. Maybe we can get coupons.

Slime should give you free stuff for advertisement. :) You can write to them and see if they will have a representative join the board. Maybe we can get coupons.

I tried and have corresponded by email too. As confused as folks seam to be and utterly hard to conceive. Now I know what it means to clarify the simplicity of what I have conveyed .

You have been SLIMED!

the question of weather Slime works to temporarily keep your tube inflated is a debatable one. the question I have is now that you have a hole in your tube can you patch it? I think that if you have slime coming out of the hole it is very difficult to put glue on it later and in the mean time you have this ooze all over the inside of your tire.

A solution that I found was another "Slime" product. they now make "slime" tire liners. B.I.T.D. I used Mister Tuffy tire liners on my commuter bike and they kept my tires full without the mess. Now if you get a flat you don't have to throw away your old tube.

Mike Frye

the question of weather Slime works to temporarily keep your tube inflated is a debatable one. the question I have is now that you have a hole in your tube can you patch it? I think that if you have slime coming out of the hole it is very difficult to put glue on it later and in the mean time you have this ooze all over the inside of your tire.

A solution that I found was another "Slime" product. they now make "slime" tire liners. B.I.T.D. I used Mister Tuffy tire liners on my commuter bike and they kept my tires full without the mess. Now if you get a flat you don't have to throw away your old tube.

Mike Frye

7 pages of reading and ya never read a thing aye?

This is not a temporary solution. It is a permanent one IME . But ya gotta look real close the how I made my observations. Somebody with a success story might be doing something right.

My pneumatic tire recipe don't seam to work as well with those tiny tires. http://www.bicycle-touring-guide.com/images/bicycles/cannontourii.jpg I have only used 26x1.75 up. They have such a small volume of air to began with. Since the tender age of about 11 I have learned and avoided them all together like the plague. Can't help anyone with that. I would think you just simply air them back up. Then the stuff goes to work and seals it yes permanently as long as your tube did not dry out. Those thin little bitty tires just never did it for me. I gave up on them. Just no durability.......

When the tube dries out you can successfully patch it all day long. This phenomena happens with paper thin tubes quite often as the pre packed tubes they don't even have much in them to began with. They are no where near as efficient as a leather cow hide thick tube either. Paper thin tubes always bleed out air to an extent. The thick heavy duty tubes simply do not and truly seal up permanently in my experience with absolutely no mess.
http://www.slime.com/faq.html
How does SLiME Work?

SLiME utilizes Fibro-Seal™ technology to seal punctures either before or after they occur. Suspended within the trademark green liquid are either 100% fibers (inner tube formula) or a blend of fibers, rubber particles and other clotting agents (tubeless formula). Once installed in a tube or tire, SLiME sealants remain in a liquid state repairing tread area punctures from the inside out. As the tire rotates the sealant is forced to flow around the tread area creating a band of protection. When a puncture occurs, the escaping air forces the green liquid through the puncture, packing fibers and other clotting agents into the hole and preventing further air loss. SLiME is able to work time and time again repairing punctures when they occur.

Last edited:
Paper thin tubes?

The tires I use on my motor-bicycle are 26 by 1.5 and they tend to stay full for over a month or more without going down. The tires on my touring bike are 700 by 28c and they also hold their air for a long time.

On my road bike (A frame that I built) it has 700 by 23c tires and I tend to pump them up before every ride I put about a hundred and twenty PSI in those tires. Same thing that goes for my track bike although, I have recently got a set of kevlar belted sew-ups for that bike and they don't seem go down. There is a reason why they still use sew-up tires, its because they "feel" so good. If you take a pound of the rotating weight its like taking seven pounds off the frame.

Now I know that I am a ignorant hick from the sticks but, one thing I know is how to fix a flat tire. In my old shop I have fixed hundreds of flats and one of the most unpleasant jobs I had was fixing flats that had slime in them. That is why I never carried the stuff regardless of the money I would make by selling that particular product.

mike

the question I have is now that you have a hole in your tube can you patch it?

Mike Frye
If you know the answer why do you have to ask?:geek::sick:
Also at what point do you simply install a heavy duty tube in a customers bike to begin with so they don't have to visit you and they can simply ride their bike. With touring guy's that are shaving their legs to cut weight then I could perhaps see why.. I know a shop is about repeat business but still.

If I was there twice and once a weak getting my tubes patched and I found out the bike shop was holding out on me? You would definitely not get my business again. Yes stickers in places are that bad here. ''Bike shops don't patch tubes''

I avoid all shops they rarely make a dime from me.:poop: Most of the time I just get it off the net and save the hassle. Then I don't even have to set my drink down..
The tires I use on my motor-bicycle are 26 by 1.5 and they tend to stay full for over a month or more without going down. The tires on my touring bike are 700 by 28c and they also hold their air for a long time.

Now I know that I am a ignorant hick from the sticks but, one thing I know is how to fix a flat tire. In my old shop I have fixed hundreds of flats and one of the most unpleasant jobs I had was fixing flats that had slime in them. That is why I never carried the stuff regardless of the money I would make by selling that particular product.

mike
This is comical to hear as well I simply cannot even name a bicycle shop that patches tubes or remotely EVER will. They 100% of the time sell the customer a new tube. Your just a swell guy taking out all that time to patch a so called impossible tube. This makes absolutely no since to me. I dare anybody across the country to find a shop of any kind of reputation that patches tubes for a customer. SIMPLY PICK UP THE PHONE AND ASK!! They sell the customer a new tube each and every time. Nice try bud.ha ha. So eloquently worded as to have some kind of authority too!

[''So like I went to this bike shop and they did emergency CPR to my tube for like a half hour and totally saved it bro.'']
I did not just fall off the turnip truck but somebody else might have.:geek::unsure::poop:

Whats even more hilarious is some bike shop taking the time to patch a silly tube let alone a paper thin $ 1.50 tube or even $0.50 their cost. You guy's are the Kewlest do you do this for free too?:bowdown:

Personally I avoid these type size tires.http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B00165Q4Q2/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=3375251&s=sporting-goods I know that tires have vastly improved over the years tho. I just have not had the necessity to find out. I know that I probably should try something for the sake of knowing but don't care as I simply have had no need. lol.

This is my favorite all time speed tire for a mountain bike http://www.neetc.org/44-continental-town-country-urban-bicycle-tire.html I can get away with the stickers here to a degree with out slime added to. I still do just I use a tad less to keep the speeds up.

Motorized I like a little more traction. Safer at higher speeds. A tire with more flex in it with some kind of tread. That's just me.

I have just about zero experience patching tires except childhood. I only use mountain bike tires tho. Those skinny tires are worthless to me here. I simply don't and will not use them. Life has been great for me here not absolutely ever having to patch a tire in that retrospect. The last time I tried was a rim shot 15 years ago. Other than that I got nuttun..I actively travel up to 6,000 miles a year too. But you just got to remember that those thin tubes are junk after that with the tire size I run there is perfection!!!!!!!!:giggle:
http://www.pathcom.com/~ppiltch/Mariposa-right.jpg
I don't own those fancy Lance style touring bikes too much stuff goes wrong with them . My mountain bikes are the ultimate Rambo mode. I can throw them down in my yard when I get home just like when I was a kid. and absolutely nothing goes wrong with them.

Touring bikes with those skinny tires would bend a rim too easy too. The cities gutters here are not a smooth ride they are very rough. There are patches of sand on the asphalt too making it a little bit of a surprise but not everywhere lol.. Its desert here. While yes they are fast machines to me they are just junk in my retrospect. Folks on http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/ seem to be getting rid of them all the time

I re air my tires once every 4 to 6 months or so. But I actively ride mine.....It varies sometimes more often but always the same unpatched tube and no there is no funny business of them ever going flat or remotely stranding me........

Nothing is bullet proof a big ol honking patch of glass or a razzer blade changes the rules. But I have even made it where I was going with the motorized. It is very simple to carry a piece of Levis pants cloth for a huge gash stuff the tire and even throw in a spare tube. I never had to tho.

I think if I tried a touring bike again I would be pis-sed I see folks patching there tubes on the side of the road all the time. That is not the high life to me. I don't spend time working on my bikes I ride them:mad:

http://www.pathcom.com/~ppiltch/Mariposa-right.jpg

Also you have to have enough slime in the said heavy duty tube to make a pool at the bottom or it will not work. The touring guy's are shaving their legs to cut weight. I just wear a plain old pair of work jeans...all I ever needed!

Do this put it together just the way I said to the letter. Take the challenge. Go get a nail even the kind that will give you lock jaw. Then make a hole in the nicely aired up tire spin the wheel soap check it you will only loose about 4 psi at the most if you even notice. There will not be any bubbles present with a soap check. I repeat it will not need repaired at all what so ever. There will be no mess ether. I bet you don't even get a booger on you if you tried! You can ride into the sunset. Do this and report back.....................Don't take my word or anybody's see for your self.

Here are some other tires for the guy that would prefer avoiding slime. I know nothing about them and never have tried them. I was in a debate a long time ago with a guy who would not give up nither would I . To be fair perhaps I should share these.

http://www.schwalbetires.com/marathon_plus

http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/p-1145-michelin-pilot-city-26-tire.aspx

http://aebike.com/product/cst-salva-tire-26x1.75-reflective-steel-bead-sku-tr3724-qc30.htm

For maximum puncture paranoia, you could combine one of these heavy but excellent tires with a thick thorn resistant tube and Slime. By that time, I reckon tire liners would do more harm than good-- they harm ride quality, add more rolling resistance, and can even chafe holes in a normal weight inner tube.

http://jimsbikeblog.wordpress.com/2009/12/04/a-tribute-to-a-tire/

http://www.schwalbetires.com/marathon_plus#comment-2529

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wheels/tire/schwalbe/marathon-plus-atb

http://www.gitaneusa.com/forum/view...c7fe506a1b8fa9d788906e/PRD_364378_151crx.aspx

We had a very eliquint debate here. So to show I am not all that one sided it would perhaps be fair to share. My mind is not swayed and I like my set up perfectly for the record. My voodoo that has championed it self for me very well.:cool: http://motorbicycling.com/f11/goats-head-22645.html

Last edited:
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
OK your right

I guess there is no need for any of that "fancy bike stuff"

"The touring guy's are shaving their legs to cut weight. I just wear a plain old pair of work jeans...all I ever needed!"

Of corse if you have ever ridden a bike in a pair of bike shorts you would note the difference. B.T.W. tourists don't save their legs Racers do and its not for aerodynamics or weight it for when you crash the hair won't get in the wounds and hurt the healing.

what I do is kind of a compromise I wear bike shorts under my long shorts or jeans because they really make it a lot more comfortable.

I did not patch tires in my shop because I could not guarantee that it would work all the time. I had some customers come back and complain later, so I stopped patching tires after the first summer. I know all of those "evil" bike shop owners in their spare time are tripping old lady's and pulling the wings off of fly's when there not living in there mansions and flying to the Bahamas for vacations with your hard earned money.

I am not trying to be an elitist, part of the reason I like the folks here is they seem to accept different stiles and likes. We are such a minority do we have to belittle and moline each other?

Just a thought Mike

Back