Been commuting for 5 months now

Three years ago I decided to walk home from work, in my quest to divorce myself from traffic.

It took 1 hour 45 minutes to walk 6 miles. I was tired and my feet hurt.

Shortly after I bought a new bike and rode it to and from work.

It took 45 minutes, one way. I was tired and my legs hurt.

Next I fitted my bike with an electric motor and 80 lbs of batteries.

The ride took 27 minutes on the bikepath, sidewalks and side streets. I wasn't too tired.

Batteries were a hassle so I installed gas engines on a 20" bike and 26" bikes.

The rides still took 27 minutes on the bikepath, sidewalks and side streets.

Then I made a twin-engined cruiser.

The ride took about 25 minutes on the bikepath and side streets.

Today I claimed the highway lane and rode in traffic right through town.

The ride took 18 minutes today, although traffic was light. I'm tired at the end of the day, but it's a good feeling.:cool:

Well, I just got rained on coming home from work. Not too hard, but I need to address the stripe I got on the back of my pants...there's a space between the seat and the seatback on my recumbent that water just flies up thru. However, the friction drive did very well and didn't slip at all.

B.K., I've heard that some friction drive owners place a block of wood in that space between rear bracket and aluminum housing. That's to block the splash.

I rode "The Dragon Lady" to work today. There was a slight drizzle riding to and from home. It didn't bother me becase I always wear my raincoat while commuting.

On a clear day, motorists notice me.

"Why is that bicyclist wearing his raincoat on a bright clear sunny day?"

It's been very windy lately. I found that riding the outside curb lane under the freeway overpass exposes me to strong gusts. The bike literally shifts sideways and I have to countersteer.

So now I always ride the INSIDE curb lane. Less wind and buffetting. No sideway shifting or countersteering.

It's a six-mile route. If I use the bikepath it takes 25 minutes.

If I ride the 35mph highway it takes 18 minutes.:whistle:

That's SMOKING!:D

5-7, have you cranked up that 460 yet ?

steve

Not yet Steve.

Can't bring myself to pay $120 for 5 gallons racing gas.:sick:

Vendor is out of stock with his 13:1 dompression dome($23) for the engine.

That'll allow me to use 91 octane gas at $2-something.

I'll be running friction drive w/1.25" roller. 40mph at 12,000rpm.

Maybe 1.125" roller and twist that engine even tighter!:devilish:

Well I've been commuting regularly to work since January (New Year's resolution)

It's been over six weeks since I've been riding the fast-lane highway to work.

Commuting time is 17 minutes. If I used the bikepath it's 21-25 minutes.

Today I rode from work to a community college over 10 miles away. Then I turned around and rode five miles home. If I could safely bike this route then I could commute to work even when I attend night school.

The results were AMAZING!!!

I attended that same college last year. At best it took 54 minutes to drive my car, via freeway and highway.

Riding the highway, bikepath and sidewalk took 37 MINUTES!!!!!!!

Then riding the highway and boulevard took 17 minutes to reach home from school!!!!!

I'm stoked! It IS practical to commute to work and school. I get off from work at 430pm and school begins at 530pm.

Last edited by a moderator:
The roads to town was wet but no puddles. Knowing that the pavement would be bone-dry by this afternoon, I had no qualms riding "The Dragon Lady" to work.

Yes, both rollers slipped and slid, it took longer to get there this morning. The roads are dry again so I'll have no problems driving to the community college 10 miles away.

Both engines' tanks were almost full when I left home. I have a strong hunch that my rear engine won't be stumbling due to fuel delivery.

Back